new big fancy telly

Currently reading:
new big fancy telly

I thought it might be the cable.

You dont need a monster one or a really expensive one, just one that supports 1080p.

I bought a Philips one that did the trick, sure it was about a tenner. Said 1080p and 10.2gbits on the back of the packet.

Dan

Last edited:
well after a whopping £10.99 for a cable i seem to have 1080p on the PS3
2M NEW XO PLATINUM HDMI Cable for XBOX 360, SONY PLAY: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
not fully tested yet though but seems stable
yesterday i watched full metal jacket on HD DVD and its probably the first HD film ive watched wheres its really noticable how much better the quality is.
also been playing a bit of killzone 2,IMO so far its nothing special and fairly standard FPS fodder

well after a whopping £10.99 for a cable i seem to have 1080p on the PS3
2M NEW XO PLATINUM HDMI Cable for XBOX 360, SONY PLAY: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
not fully tested yet though but seems stable
yesterday i watched full metal jacket on HD DVD and its probably the first HD film ive watched wheres its really noticable how much better the quality is.
also been playing a bit of killzone 2,IMO so far its nothing special and fairly standard FPS fodder
nice 1

Ive got a V+ box and its not that bad..

My old Samsung 2100 looks better through scart than the V+ does over HDMI (on SD content) - Ive got a Toshiba 42RV555DB - I think the internal scaling hardware on my TV is better than whats in the V+.

The only channel they carry at the moment is BBC HD, which isnt really worth the extra. I paid £100 for mine at the time but think its gone down to £49.99 now, so its not too bad at that price.

They arent as quick for channel flicking and I have had it lock up a few times - but saying that all cable boxes ive had lock up now and then. I would get one for the recording features and stuff but not just because its HDMI etc, because the picture isnt much better, if better at all on SD.

Dan

Last edited:
right well V+ 'installed'
i wasnt home but the engineer just installed it via scart and left the HDMI for me to install
of course HDMI didnt work :rolleyes:
after a good 30 minutes plus onto the off shore call centre (i hate them) we eventually got the HDMI running
got to say im impressed with the upscaled TV picture,better than i expected

well after having this TV for so long :eek:
Im thinking of going bigger

considering going for this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/50pk590/lg-50pk590#

The LG 50PK590 brings together a stunning picture quality with LG's fantastically useful NetCast.

Thanks to its 600Hz sub-field driving technology, the 50PK590 can rightly claim to have class-leading motion. 600Hz technology works by pulsing each frame 12 times, thereby upgrading the standard 50Hz signal to an effective 600Hz one. If all this is double Dutch to you, then don't be concerned! Suffice to say that the new technology gives the 50PK590 a superb response with incredible realism and super-sharp tracking on fast moving motion such as sports events. With technologies such as the latest version of LG's highly acclaimed Dual XD Engine and an Intelligent Light Sensor, the 50PK590 offers up excellent levels of brightness, colour purity and contrast. The figures showing an astonishing dynamic contrast ratio of 3,000,000:1 and brightness of 1500cdm say a great deal, but the proof of the LG's superior picture quality is in the watching.

As we've always said, a separate home cinema system is what's needed to really bring a quality TV such as this to life. Having said that, the onboard audio makes a good effort. The Clear Voice II system makes dialogue easy to follow. Combined with the Invisible speaker system, you'll find it gives the LG 50PK590 a smooth, spacious sound that's less boxy-sounding than many TVs. Finally, if you're planning to use this plasma TV as part of your home cinema system, then you'll be pleased to find an optical digital output - perfect for the highest quality audio connection to your AV receiver.

In terms of connections, the 50PK590 has everything you'd expect plus more besides. Perhaps best of all is NetCast. NetCast brings the best of the Internet, via apps, directly to your TV. Simply connect the 50PK590 to your home network via the Ethernet cable you'll have access to sites such as YouTube without the need to turn on your computer. Four HDMI sockets allow for the connection of 4 High Definition sources, such as an HD-TV box, PS3, HD camcorder and Blu-ray. In addition to all this, the 50PK590 boasts a USB connection. This lets you watch digital media from your camera or phone and is even compatible with HD DivX.

With a depth of just 55.3mm, the 50PK590 is one of the slimmest plasma TVs to date. That and the smart "razor" frame make for a TV that hides its bulk well. For a better connected plasma TV, check out the LG 50PK590.

any views?
this is really my top budget as im not willing to pay much more
obviously i will get some cash back from selling the 37"

not a fan of LG, dont know why i think some of the stuff looks cheap n tacky
im a Samsung fan boy at moment
Sony have annoyed me

600hz it ain't is it its just flickering an image 10 times to me. could be over bright.
i always thought that they worked by projecting an image and then a back light light it up.
to me a refresh rate refreshes the image

Last edited:
well i went or it
£770 inc 5 year warrenty

initial impressions are good
picture qualty is very good
i was worried about it dominating the room but i would say its a good size for the room
the slim case helps with this
picture quality definatly exceeds the 37" 1080p panel it replaced

as with all the flat panel TV's ive seen/used
speakers are pretty poor IMO
I run a separate speaker set up so its not an issue
however i wonder why some dont sacrifice thickness for some beefier speakers

Last edited:
Back