The new xbox

Currently reading:
The new xbox

Microsoft definitly have the right idea though, Blu-ray is not essential, as Digital download of films etc is progressing so will blu-ray be around for long? They appear to of sorted out the problems they had with earlier models. You could say that PS3 has the edge in games as you can get more on a blu-ray, but most games are released on all platforms anyway so there's little advantage there.

I bought a launch model PS3 because i was foolish. yes it's nice, but i'm on my fourth one, due to the YLOD! GT5 has not even officially been given a launch date yet, which was a large part in getting one originally.

I do like the PS3, the controllers i prefer much more to the Xbox, especially the light original non-dualshock ones. Also the main thing that puts me off the Xbox is most of the games are "arcadey" though the more recent ones such as the 3rd? errr can't remember the name but was out the other year.... appear to be much better. but then that's opposed to no games on the ps3 that are unique to it..

Compare the xbox to the PS2, since those were the two competing consoles at the time and you'll see that the Xbox was the far superior option. Since the PS3 was released Microsoft have upgraded their boxes to try and bring them into line with consumer demand.

similarly to the argument about xbox "catching up" with ps3, i'm pretty sure the PS2 was released 2 years or so before the xbox. so even then you can't compare them....

Microsoft definitly have the right idea though, Blu-ray is not essential, as Digital download of films etc is progressing so will blu-ray be around for long? Yeah I reckon it will be the next DVD, not everyone wants to download or stream movies, they like to keep a physical copy of the film. My sister and bro in law have like a million DVD's and CD's in their living room even though they don't actually use the cd's to play music on as it is all digitally based on ipods etc. It's just the "buying something physical" aspect. But who knows, maybe we will learn to deal with buying something that is not physically available?! ,They appear to of sorted out the problems they had with earlier models. You could say that PS3 has the edge in games as you can get more on a blu-ray, but most games are released on all platforms anyway so there's little advantage there.
I think the Ps3 did have some hit titles using blu-ray though, such as metal gear solid, using a dual layer disk for up to 5gb is impressive, but then the awesomeness was reduced when you had to install the next chapter after each one. Killzone 2 too, some hated it, but graphically it was something else. No doubt about it. The only problem with larger sized disks, is that more content can be put on it...this may seem like a contradictory point but more content means more time has to be taken. A pure example of this is GT5! Sure it will be using the potential of 25gb, but look how long it has taken. I'm patient though, I don't care. I've got bigger worries.

I bought a launch model PS3 because i was foolish. yes it's nice, but i'm on my fourth one, due to the YLOD! GT5 has not even officially been given a launch date yet, which was a large part in getting one originally.
It's out 2nd November :confused::confused:
The launch models were hit and miss, my friend had one and it died a few years later, whereas another two friends have had theirs and it's running spot on to this day. All 3 were from launch.

I do like the PS3, the controllers i prefer much more to the Xbox, especially the light original non-dualshock ones. Also the main thing that puts me off the Xbox is most of the games are "arcadey" though the more recent ones such as the 3rd? errr can't remember the name but was out the other year.... appear to be much better. but then that's opposed to no games on the ps3 that are unique to it..
I agree, on the arcadeyness. It's like the whole "avatar" system, I personally think it's...excuse the lack of vocabulary... Gay tbh! I thought the whole Xbox system was meant to be a "hardcore gaming system" and then they bring something out that brings the whole maturity level to Wii standards? My opinion of course.

similarly to the argument about xbox "catching up" with ps3, i'm pretty sure the PS2 was released 2 years or so before the xbox. so even then you can't compare them....
:)

If this played MKV files i would buy one in a flash, its the only reason i currently use a ps3.

I guess this new console wont be as easy to "hack" either. yet.

Well my deposit is down but mainly because after I trade in my 2 year old (and starting to sound it) elite and my wireless network adaptor and get some discount i'm only gonna be forking out 40 quid for a new machine with its lovely warranty and increased hard drive capacity.

Yeah, why should a line be drawn? As said earlier, it's everything that the xbox should have been introduced with.

Mate you have posted some dumb stuff in the past but that beats all.

You do know despite the technology behind the Veyron being available. Some people drive things as basic as a Ford Focus?

How much do you think this new Xbox would cost if it were released in 2006? How about stupidly dear for a games console.

As has been mentioned previously, simple practical things are what has been the 360's undoing (ignoring the RROD for a second!). Memory cards with only 256MB!? I'm sure they could have come up with a version of that before now which allowed you to put an SD card in it for greater portable storage. User switchable HDD's would have been a godsend too, the 120GB drive even now is waaay to expensive when you can buy 1/2TB PC hdd's for less.

As has been mentioned previously, simple practical things are what has been the 360's undoing (ignoring the RROD for a second!). Memory cards with only 256MB!? I'm sure they could have come up with a version of that before now which allowed you to put an SD card in it for greater portable storage. User switchable HDD's would have been a godsend too, the 120GB drive even now is waaay to expensive when you can buy 1/2TB PC hdd's for less.

agreed,as for memory cards
I never understood why they didnt allow folks to use use USB sticks from the start
they could even have done their own version, with the likes of 3 months live included to make folks go for them

Mate you have posted some dumb stuff in the past but that beats all.

You do know despite the technology behind the Veyron being available. Some people drive things as basic as a Ford Focus?

How much do you think this new Xbox would cost if it were released in 2006? How about stupidly dear for a games console.
Now now, let's not get personal with the cars, bit pathetic of you tbh.

why are people making it out like this console is the awesomeness update in the world? Sure the bigger hdd would have cost a lot more back then I agree, but its nothing that the ps3 wasn't released with anyway.....oh wait, back in 2006. LOL

Now now, let's not get personal with the cars, bit pathetic of you tbh.

why are people making it out like this console is the awesomeness update in the world? Sure the bigger hdd would have cost a lot more back then I agree, but its nothing that the ps3 wasn't released with anyway.....oh wait, back in 2006. LOL

I havent seen any posts like this?
the PS3 wasnt released with a cooler running chipset
that came later
theres little point comparing the two,yet you seemed determied to constantly raise the PS3?

That is all karbine is capable of on this forum now - he only comes here to make digs across the board :)

Yeah of course your right. I really shouldn't dignify his posts with replys.

I mean if he had any sort of critique in his thinking he would realise that his comparisons to the ps3 only strengthen the fact Microsoft got it bang on compared to Sony, or the "battle" of the consoles wouldn't be like Walter from the Beano getting in a fight with Rawshack from Watchmen.

Last edited:
Back