new big fancy telly

right well its time to get out of the 90's
right now we have a 28" CRT :eek: yes still in the dark ages

so what to get
been looking around at whats 'best'
as usual loads of contradictions on whats best for HD,SD,gaming etc
then what size to get???

thinking of something likes this one?
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...descreen-LCD-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre

37" 1080p
it will be run through my virgin box so freeview is of little matter
360 & ps3 will be hooked up and if funds allow a popcorn hour will be added to this

opinions,alternatives?

OK so this is it really. 2 main TV companies, the battle between Samsung and Sony
Samsungs give out an amazing picture quality, however the sound quality is not up to the standards of the picture quality
Sony also give out an amazing picture quality but Samsung takes the edge ever so slightly, but the sound is great on sonys
Then you have the other makes which too are good like LG and Panasonic
But my reccomendation would be a Sony Bravia set or a samsung.
I chose samsung as I'm running a sound system seperately in 5.1 ss.

For gaming you will be wanting a TV with less ghosting (image staying on screen) so look for a number lowest as possible for the ms response time.
All HD tv's will make SD looks ****e as the picture is out of proportion to what you are used to on your back to the future 90's machine.

Due to your TV being a 720p or 1080p and SD runs at 576 iirc so the picture is going to look bad.
However I think some Tv's can upscale in their hardware to get you a better looking picture and make you believe it is in HD but it won't be, it will just look better than normal SD on a HD display.

As for size. It all depends how big your living room is.
You wouldn't want a 46" display in a room the size of my bedroom and like wise you wouldn't want a 26" in a massive living room.
I think 37" is a great medium and caters for everything and 42" can be too big for gaming IMO. I would prefer to have a 26" in my room rather than my 32" as I like smaller screens for gaming, like 22" but if you are watching films in blu-ray you will want the biggest TV you can have in proportion to the room it's in.

Another thing to look for when buying a TV is the contrast ratio, TV's that boast a 1million to 1 contrast ration isn't true. Thats their dynamic contrast ratio and not their true contrast ratio. the contrast ratio is the difference between the deepest black to the brightest white, look for a high number, usually around 30,000 to 1 is the max you will find, higher than that wil lbe your dynamic and thats not the true contrast ratio.

And as for 1080p vs 720p. For gaming you will not even notice the difference between a 1080p set up and 720p setup. The main reason is most games are not even rendered in 1080p. I think only a few games are, ridge racer for ps3 and virtua fighter are a few off the top of my head but latest games are all in 720p or sub par. CoD4 supprisingly enought runs at only 600p!!
You will however notice 1080p when watching blu-rays.

My advice, depending on your price limit is to either spend good money on a decent 32" 720p set up with a high contrast ratio and good reviews or buy a mediocre 1080p television set. But if you have a lot to spend, get yourself a good sound set up afterwards. I believe that sound is just as important as picture.
This has taken me ages to write so I hope it helps :D :D

well im not spending mad money
at forst it was around £400 then the budget crept up tilli was looking at £800 machines
now ive reigned myself in as at the end of the day its a TV sitting in the corner of the room
the LG is sub £500 or could be had with a 5 year warrenty for £550 at richer sounds
i barely have time for games/films just now so its crazy to spend mad money plus the savings could go to the popcorn hour which would be of use to me

This is something that ive been looking into for a little while now, im in the market for a Plasma in the 46-50" department.

What ever you see, look on line for reviews. A lot of Samsungs especially in the larger screen sizes get really poor reviews for quality, both in picture and audio; although I use a Samsung 22" monitor and can't fault it.

IMO they're not in the same league as Sony or Panasonic.

LG are very good IMHO. I've got a 37" LG that's 3 years old now and still going strong.

I can't believe how much prices have fallen.. mine was £1400 when I bought it and I thought that was good as it was reduced from £1800 :eek:

Cheers,

Plug

what about a philips with ambilight if you can get one within budget brill build quality, picture quality and sound esp. great fun with ambilight...

well went up the shops for a looksie around
no way am i going smaller than a 37",32" is just too small
still torn on whether to go 1080p or go HD ready and maybe go plasma
full HD plasmas are way over my budget
UH? They are both the same. I think you mean 1080p or 720p?
Don't bother with plasma. LCD is better for what you are wanting.
Get an LCD with a good contrast ratio, it will outdo a plasma.
Plasmas have a wider viewing angle if that helps

UH? They are both the same. I think you mean 1080p or 720p?
Don't bother with plasma. LCD is better for what you are wanting.
Get an LCD with a good contrast ratio, it will outdo a plasma.
Plasmas have a wider viewing angle if that helps

i was referring to the termenology of the TV makers
HD being 1080 and HD ready being 720
you say the lcd will outdo a plasma but many would disagree

i was referring to the termenology of the TV makers
HD being 1080 and HD ready being 720

you say the lcd will outdo a plasma but many would disagree
My god. You are so wrong! 720p is HD, as is 1080p. They are both a slogan.
Now if we bring the word FULL into it you have a point.
A LCD the size of 37" or 42" will out do a plasma. Plasmas are great for larger screens such as 50", 65".
It all depends on what you are judging it on.
Don't you like taking advice? I mean. I didn't even get a thanks for the post this morning.
gr

A LCD the size of 37" or 42" will out do a plasma. Plasmas are great for larger screens such as 50", 65".
Don't you like taking advice? I mean. I didn't even get a thanks for the post this morning.
gr

lol you seem to take all my posts personally
if you only post for thanks i'll sort that for you

Last edited:
right so unless you are paying for the TV helping does not entail telling me what to buy
having been looking over many tech posts on AV forums ive seen many posts arguing over the benifits of plasma vs LCD
yet you say a 37-42" lcd will beat a plasma,so thats your opinion but not a hardened fact

Ok then why did you make a thread if you don't want advice on what to buy? LOL

um for the very same reason as my last post
do you understand the grown up world where you can have your own opinion?
hey if you want to be a sheep and follow the crowd thats fine,me i make my decisions based on the info i can garner

um for the very same reason as my last post
do you understand the grown up world where you can have your own opinion?
hey if you want to be a sheep and follow the crowd thats fine,me i make my decisions based on the info i can garner
Oh man you got issues. I'm simply helping you by giving you different alternatives. Different views of why something might be better than the others
I've tried helping you out but it seems with you're having none of it.

I've given up with you.

gr

right so unless you are paying for the TV helping does not entail telling me what to buy
having been looking over many tech posts on AV forums ive seen many posts arguing over the benifits of plasma vs LCD
yet you say a 37-42" lcd will beat a plasma,so thats your opinion but not a hardened fact
Oh and for the record:
Now for a second there I said it depends on what you are judging it on. I didn't say they are always better. Read properly next time

Back