General New 105 TA, good value?

Currently reading:
General New 105 TA, good value?

Thaidai

Hi, new here, hello all...

Have seen a new (5 miles) pre-registered 2014 (14 reg) twinair lounge 105 bhp in Volare Blue for £11990 from a Fiat dealer.

This seems a good price?

Does the warranty start when the car was registered or when someone buys it?

Cheers.

List price for a TA 105 Lounge with Volare Blue paint is £13900, so it's a good deal at £11990.

Maxi if replying to people is such a chore that you feel the need to answer in as few words as possible, then don't bother - no one is forcing you to monitor this 24 hours a day & the abruptness is starting to grate.

List price for a TA 105 Lounge with Volare Blue paint is £13900, so it's a good deal at £11990.

Maxi if replying to people is such a chore that you feel the need to answer in as few words as possible, then don't bother - no one is forcing you to monitor this 24 hours a day & the abruptness is starting to grate.

I apologise for having an opinion Liam, I will try not to have one in future, cheers :)

I apologise for having an opinion Liam, I will try not to have one in future, cheers :)

Have as much opinion as you like, I do. If it was someone asking persistent annoying questions & displaying the typical 'take take' mentality that we often see on here, I'd whole heartedly support you for being abrupt, but when someone new joins and asks a perfectly legit question, there really is no need to carry on like santa's walked in the living room on Christmas morning and pi*sed on the kids. It just looks hostile, and we've plenty of that in the middle east!

A 2k saving on the 500 in its newest guise is fairly considerable although a few months of the warranty has elapsed.

Will give the dealer a ring next week for details...

A 2k saving on the 500 in its newest guise is fairly considerable although a few months of the warranty has elapsed.

Will give the dealer a ring next week for details...

Yes I'd agree, the most significant discount people tend to get for a brand new 500 is around £1000. Obviously this one is pre reg & a bit of warranty has gone, but its the newest engine in a good spec so £2000 sounds a fair deal.

If it were a 1.2 or even thee 85bhp TwinAir, I'd say it was just 'ok', but for the 105 I'd be quite pleased with £2k off. The 105 also gains 6 speed gearbox, ESP & (I believe) all round disc brakes over its less powered siblings.

Have I started an argument here??

Not at all, and apologies if you felt that way. Just making sure the forum doesn't become unnecessarily 'cold'. I would hope someone would pull me up if I was guilty of something similar :)

Thx JTD, your input appreciated. As for the warrany don't think the 105 has been out that long so doubt if 6 months has gone. Will have to phone dealer....

Thx JTD, your input appreciated. As for the warrany don't think the 105 has been out that long so doubt if 6 months has gone. Will have to phone dealer....

No probs. If it's a 14 plate then the earliest it can have been registered is 1st March, but might be even younger :)

Let us know if you decide to buy it!

To put my first comment into context, I paid 8720 for a 1.2 lounge with leather, side rubbing stops and 16" wheels. Although 12k is a decent price at the moment, it just seems a lot of money to spend on a small car :)

I'd agree, paying full price even with a discount if you can get it from a dealer, is too much for such a small car, but as has been said many a time on here, if people are willing to pay the money, then let them.

For me, it's now pre-reg all the way. Yes I agree, you won't necessarily get the exact spec you might have wanted and we lost four months warranty on the car we bought last year because it was a pre-reg purchase, but we got a helluva discount and a decent PX price for the old POP, so you can still end up with a nice car for a significantly reduced price if you are prepared to forego having the selling garage on the V5 listed as the first owner.

I'm sorry if people disagree with this, but to be honest, I don't believe it makes much of a difference these days when you come to sell. If you are astute enough and a decent bargainer, you'll win out.

Buying a prereg car can save you a useful amount of money but you need to be careful.

Firstly there is a small but real risk you could be buying a repaired accident damaged car. We've all seen photos of loaded transporters in motorway collisions, storm damaged roofs collapsing onto new cars on dealers forecourts, and there are a thousand and one other ways a new car could be damaged before it even gets to the showroom. Just make sure you inspect for accident damage as carefully as you would when buying a used car.

Secondly you almost certainly won't be able to benefit from the 'new-for-old' clause in many insurance policies if the car is written off in the first year. It's probably worth buying GAP insurance if buying a prereg car, but remember it'll be a GAP policy on a secondhand car, so will only get you back to the price you paid for it - you won't be able to buy 'new for old' GAP on a prereg car.

Thirdly it's the date of first registration that will determine when the first service is due, so if you want to keep the service history (and warrranty), you'll be servicing it a bit sooner than if you bought a previously unregistered car.

Fourthly, it will be worth less when you come to sell, as it will be that much older and will have one more recorded keeper. It may not be much less, but it could be more than you might think if you've crossed a year or plate change. But if you plan on keeping the car a long time, the difference is unlikely to matter.

Fifthly, if the car's been standing unused for more than a month or so, then quite likely the battery won't make it to the end of its usual service life. You could be lucky and get it replaced under warranty, but you'd do well to budget for the cost of replacing it after a year or two at most. If it's been standing in poor weather, you may also need to strip & lubricate the front brakes - something Fiat seem reluctant to cover under warranty.

I'm not saying that prereg cars are poor value or aren't worth buying - far from it - as frupi says, they can be excellent. Just be aware that you're not getting everything you'd get with a new car, and judge the discount you are offered in light of that.

An extra £900 or so off a 105 HP TA (over and above the £1k you could reasonably expect to haggle off list on a new one) is probably enough to make a prereg worth considering - but I'd say only just enough.

Last edited:
No new car is good value. Warranty is at registration date.

Nothing wrong with Maxi's reply, the OP asked a simple question, so why elaborate, the OP can ask further questions, maxi is pretty cool with qualified questions. Btw Not everyone has to elaborate, we all have different personalities.

Fourthly, it will be worth less when you come to sell, as it will be that much older and will have one more recorded keeper. It may not be much less, but it could be more than you might think if you've crossed a year or plate change. But if you plan on keeping the car a long time, the difference is unlikely to matter.

Good points, in my recent experience trade in values are pretty dire, you need to go into a dealer showroom with the attitude you will be down by a larger margin than you desired, also don't forget the dealers will offer you a "future value" if you order a production car due in a few months. A pre-reg with a dealer owner won't make much difference, unless there was damage and nice of you to raise that point.

Anyone buying a new car should consider the deal but formost the car, it may be expensive to get the option you missed or impossibile to get the option later, e.g. A Dualogic in our case.

Nothing wrong with Maxi's reply, the OP asked a simple question, so why elaborate, the OP can ask further questions, maxi is pretty cool with qualified questions. Btw Not everyone has to elaborate, we all have different personalities.

Good points, in my recent experience trade in values are pretty dire, you need to go into a dealer showroom with the attitude you will be down by a larger margin than you desired, also don't forget the dealers will offer you a "future value" if you order a production car due in a few months. A pre-reg with a dealer owner won't make much difference, unless there was damage and nice of you to raise that point.

Anyone buying a new car should consider the deal but formost the car, it may be expensive to get the option you missed or impossibile to get the option later, e.g. A Dualogic in our case.

I presume the op was wondering if the price been asked represented good value as opposed to buying a new one. Most people with half a brain know that new cars instantly depreciate when purchased.

Thanks for the many replies! I think that part of my question title had the wrong wording, instead of good value (no) it should have read good price (maybe yes)!!

The car in question is a long way from where I live, so thanks to your comments (esp. jrkitching, many thanks for a detailed explanation of pre-reg buys) I will first go to my local dealer and see what discount they will offer on brand new and take it from there.

There are ways of getting a privilege discount. I believe members of British cycling (among many others) qualify. But you have to look into what deals and finance packages are available. My experience was that pre-reg is only worthwhile on volume spec models and when you weigh up what discount you can haggle plus finance deals plus goodwill if anything goes wrong all contribute to the decision. There are many ways to buy a car but whichever way you must research and weigh up all the factors. Sticker price is only one of them.

Just shows that the forum works well, have already had a rethink thanks to you all...

I presume the op was wondering if the price been asked represented good value as opposed to buying a new one. Most people with half a brain know that new cars instantly depreciate when purchased.

Have you read the first post ? what does £11990 mean to you, can you also presume from that the spec of the car, date of registration, additions to the car ? No you can't. The question was rather generic in nature and unqualified.

Just shows that the forum works well, have already had a rethink thanks to you all...

thaidai, describe the car in full and the new price including the additions, but I think there is enough here for you to go away and make a decision. Don't be hasty and choose carefully, but also ask yourself how much are you willing to pay for it.

Last edited:
Back