Technical Need help with ECU diagnostic

Currently reading:
Technical Need help with ECU diagnostic

mjhicks

Hi,
My Fiat Punto is a 1.2 16V W reg (year 2000).
I have an airbag light on on the dashboard.
So I read several threads on this forum and I bought an ECU diagnostic cable, ebay item 161715574443.
It arrived today.
It consists of a module that plugs into my laptop via USB, and a bag of adapter cables (red, purple, green and yellow).
So, I got the red cable, connected it to the module, plugged it into my laptop and the car, switched the ignition on.
On the module it says Multi Ecu Scan modified ELM.
When I try to connect to the airbag module it says you need KKL/VAG to connect to this module.

Now that I read the Multiecuscan user guide it seems to suggest you need KKL/VAGcom 409 for older airbag modules.

Now I'm guessing mine is an older airbag module, after all its 16 years old this year.

I have a sinking feeling I've bought the wrong ECU diagnostic box of tricks/cable thing. Is this the case?

I have located a KKL/VAG 409 cable on ebay that's only £6.90 with free delivery so its not a total catastrophe.
Will the £6.90 one work with my red, green, purple and yellow adapter cables?

Do I need to fork out this extra £6.90?

Can someone who has done this before please advise?
Thanks
Mike

Right, I've tried a few things and found out a few things.
If anyone else has a '99+ era Punto 1.2 Sporting 16v, listen up...

I plugged the module in on its own (no red cable), into the car and laptop, switched ignition on, did an interface scan. All it found was ELM v1.4.
Then I did a module scan.I tried to
It found Engine, Electric Steering, Body, and Instrument panel ECUs.
It also found CAN.
I tried to connect to Engine, it said Free version restriction, you need to buy the registered version.
I tried to connect to Steering, it said same again.
I tried Body, same again.
Dashboard, same again, need the paid version of the software.
I tried CAN info and it gave me loads of info about what options are fitted to the car and what aren't.

Then I tried a module scan with the red cable connected and it found nothing.
Actually this tallys up with the Supported Vehicles List part of the help.

To connect to ABS or Airbag I need the K-line/VAG version of the module.
So I've just bought the one for £6.90 off ebay.
It was priced in Euros despite being in Nottingham, England, so Paypal fleeced me for an extra 37p. The bar stewards!!

Its just a shame I didn't have access to the Multi Ecu Scan manual before I purchased the module.
Anyone else new to ecu diagnosis feel free to learn from my mistakes :)

Thanks to Flisko for your response.
Mike
Glastonbury

Back