General need help calculating cost

Currently reading:
General need help calculating cost

My concern that I saw online in general was some folk thought LPG economy can be as low as half that of petrol, so if you got low 20's mpg it would be the same as mid 40's price wise when you compared lpg to petrol lol. So not worth the bother in that case.

But if you've worked it out as just 1/3 worse than thats good! :)

that may be so.. but last i heard the tax break on LPG is due to expire soon.. and with it hiking to some 80% of what petrol costs.. it doesn't make any financial sense (although there could still be some tax benefits.. but given that you don't get most of these unless your vehicle comes fitted with an LPG system from factory.. that’s a minus 2.. moreover, there is a possibility that it will interact badly with the ecu.. as essentially it is a parallel system with its own injectors etc.. and there is more danger in a collision.. so i don’t see how your insurance would go down).. way i see it – best choice right now is biodiesel (but obviously you need to be making it yourself and own a diesel..) the only other alternative is to ease of the pedal, not exceed 60 mph and loose all the crap you can live without (like a spare tire.. OK i can change one in 3 min.. most people can’t and/or can’t be bothered so an emergency spray can selant is an excellent alternative.. also any one carry anything in the boot? Does it need to be there? I used to drive with all my tools.. you know.. just in case e.g. a cam sensor gives up.. all them tools are replaced with an AA card.. they bring you the tools so you can carry out the repair :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
Isn't home grown biodiesel a bit of a dodge too! I believe your allowed to make a certain quantity yourself, but then its illegal to keep more than 2 gallons of fuel on your property (well in fuel cans anyway, so assume you'd need a holding facility?).

Also your not exempt from paying tax and duty! You just get out of the tiny charge that the fuel companies get?

Bah... I'll stick with my fairly fuel efficient 1.2 Stilo! :D

My concern that I saw online in general was some folk thought LPG economy can be as low as half that of petrol, so if you got low 20's mpg it would be the same as mid 40's price wise when you compared lpg to petrol lol. So not worth the bother in that case.

But if you've worked it out as just 1/3 worse than thats good! :)

You save 1/3, MPG wise, works out at about 15-20% less. I was getting 34mpg average on Petrol, and get 28-30 average on LPG.

that may be so.. but last i heard the tax break on LPG is due to expire soon.. and with it hiking to some 80% of what petrol costs.. it doesn't make any financial sense (although there could still be some tax benefits.. but given that you don't get most of these unless your vehicle comes fitted with an LPG system from factory.. that’s a minus 2.. moreover, there is a possibility that it will interact badly with the ecu.. as essentially it is a parallel system with its own injectors etc.. and there is more danger in a collision.. so i don’t see how your insurance would go down).. way i see it – best choice right now is biodiesel (but obviously you need to be making it yourself and own a diesel..) the only other alternative is to ease of the pedal, not exceed 60 mph and loose all the crap you can live without (like a spare tire.. OK i can change one in 3 min.. most people can’t and/or can’t be bothered so an emergency spray can selant is an excellent alternative.. also any one carry anything in the boot? Does it need to be there? I used to drive with all my tools.. you know.. just in case e.g. a cam sensor gives up.. all them tools are replaced with an AA card.. they bring you the tools so you can carry out the repair :ROFLMAO:)

X, you've alot of fact's incorrect in that post!

1. Tax levy has just been renewed (about 3 months ago) for a further 3 years.
  2. Tax benifits are available to all ulternative (sp?) fuelled vehicles, wether factory or aftermarket fit.
  3. ECU intergration / CAN systems, I hand to you is the only real risk, hence a professional fit, and warrentiee.
  4. Safety. Explain to me your theiory of more danger in a collision please (seriously, I'd be interested to her the general idea people may have) ;)
  5. I never mentioned insurance going down in cost, just that it wouldn't go up (y)
Bio-Diesel is one way forward, but seeings as you've set-up costs and there is a possibility that incorrectly chemically cutting will ruin engines/fuel systems, there is more risk than people think.

Isn't home grown biodiesel a bit of a dodge too! I believe your allowed to make a certain quantity yourself, but then its illegal to keep more than 2 gallons of fuel on your property (well in fuel cans anyway, so assume you'd need a holding facility?).

Also your not exempt from paying tax and duty! You just get out of the tiny charge that the fuel companies get?

Bah... I'll stick with my fairly fuel efficient 1.2 Stilo! :D

You are for the first 'X' number of Litre's/gallons per tax year ;) (around 1200L/400gal iirc roughly).

i've looked at the possibility of installing LPG to get a CC (congestion charge) waver.. and the car has to come with it preinstalled.. there may be other benefits (not sure) but i don't see how they would pay for the install (do you get lower road tax? what sort of a discount? anything else? there might also be a government sponsored discount towards the costs of installation but not sure this is still available). Even with LPG prices frozen for another 3 years at 1/3 improvement such a system is not feasible for me as i did a total of 35000 miles in the last 7 years (but yes there could be some benefit if you do more than your weekly shop and an occasional trip to the country). As for safety ( since i’ve not had such a system i may have my facts wrong) with an extra LPG tank in the boot.. (containing pressurised gas?) what would happen if you are badly rear ended? The my petrol tank will deform but not break.. why? no pressure.. and even if it breaks.. so what? Unlike the normal stilo tank, LPG tank is not made from stretchy plastic designed to literally be stretchy enough to not leak after being punctured (have not had a need to test this manufacturer claim.. but imagine it is spot on).

obviously that's my view (and it is biased by my recently struggling memory and i never have all the facts :( be apreasisated if someone could fill me in)

Last edited:
I believe all presurised containers that will contain a fuel are pretty rigourously tested! I think if you set your car on fire one of the few bits that would survive fine would be the LPG tank! They won't explode as they are tested to 3-times their recommended pressure and they will never be full (I believe you can't fill them beyond about 3/4 full).

Worst case scenario you'd get a nice blow torch from the tanks output and thats about it!

I did a bit of research into this aways back when I first got my Stilo.

Also if you want to see how a typical LPG tank copes in fire have a look around the net for the Glasgow Airport car bomb! Tanks were in fine fettle even when the Jeep was in bits!

i've looked at the possibility of installing LPG to get a CC (congestion charge) waver.. and the car has to come with it preinstalled.. there may be other benefits (not sure) but i don't see how they would pay for the install (do you get lower road tax? what sort of a discount? anything else? there might also be a government sponsored discount towards the costs of installation but not sure this is still available). Even with LPG prices frozen for another 3 years at 1/3 improvement such a system is not feasible for me as i did a total of 35000 miles in the last 7 years (but yes there could be some benefit if you do more than your weekly shop and an occasional trip to the country). As for safety ( since i’ve not had such a system i may have my facts wrong) with an extra LPG tank in the boot.. (containing pressurised gas?) what would happen if you are badly rear ended? The my petrol tank will deform but not break.. why? no pressure.. and even if it breaks.. so what? Unlike the normal stilo tank, LPG tank is not made from stretchy plastic designed to literally be stretchy enough to not leak after being punctured (have not had a need to test this manufacturer claim.. but imagine it is spot on).

obviously that's my view (and it is biased by my recently struggling memory and i never have all the facts :( be apreasisated if someone could fill me in)

Cool cool. At the last bit above, I wasn't having a go, just getting cought up in the debate, so sorry if it came across the wrong way :eek:

As for funding's etc.

Goverment were at one point doing subsidies (sp?) but are not no longer. Not sure how long ago they did, and how much it was for unfortunatly.

Road tax (RFL), as an alternatively fueled car I can now tax my Stilo for £130 a year rather than £150. Only a £20 saving, but every little helps, and this was more of an extra bonus rather than reason for doing it.

London CC. As far as I'm aware, any vehicle fitted with LPG (Factory fitted, or after market) is CC exempt. When you have LPG fitted aftermarket it needs to be done professionally to get a cert to confirm that the vehicle has been fitted correctly and certify its safety. This cert is what you need to still be able to insure your car (unless your foolish enough not to notify insurance) (copy of cert gets sent off with NCB etc at renewal). You also need this cert to register the vehicle with the DVLA as 'Alternative Fuel'. This Cert is also used upon applying for vehicle CC exemption iirc. I did look at registering the Stilo, but what isn't well known is the fact that you have to re-register a CC exempt vehicle yearly (same for Toyota Prius's etc) at the cost of £20.

So I haven't bothered as at £8 a day, I'd need to go through atleast 3 times to make it worth while, and as I never do, I didn't see the point in waisting £20 a year (£20 saving in RFL in one hand, and £20 fee for CC exemption in another, lol).

At 35000miles in 7year, I don't blame you for not going LPG, as you'd take a long time to see a return on the investment, but as I'm doing 20k a year, and had the lump sum available, the 12-14month pay off seemed worth it.

The only down side I will personally ever see me suffering with LPG fitted to my Stilo is the fact that I can never use EUROStar to Paris now, as they've a blanket ban on all LPG vehicles. Its Ferry only for me, lol :)

Oh, and one last thing, am I not correct in believing that Petrol tanks (not sure about Diesel) do contain pressure once fuel level starts to drop, partly needed for operation of the vapour recovery system fitted to cars for when a car is standing parked and vaporation from a tank trys to take place?

I believe all presurised containers that will contain a fuel are pretty rigourously tested! I think if you set your car on fire one of the few bits that would survive fine would be the LPG tank! They won't explode as they are tested to 3-times their recommended pressure and they will never be full (I believe you can't fill them beyond about 3/4 full).

Worst case scenario you'd get a nice blow torch from the tanks output and thats about it!

I did a bit of research into this aways back when I first got my Stilo.

Also if you want to see how a typical LPG tank copes in fire have a look around the net for the Glasgow Airport car bomb! Tanks were in fine fettle even when the Jeep was in bits!

As above Stiloboy is practically spot on. Can fill them to only 80% of their water capacity. So I've a 47L tank that can be filled to around 37L. This is to also allow for the change in density of LPG depending upon temp (like -5C in winter and +35C in summer).

In the event of an accident. The gas tank is tested to withstand set forces, and temps (like in a fire etc). Just like the plastic fuel tanks, they are also designed to deform (maybe not as much as plastic tanks). In the event of a LPG tank rupturing, other than an almight bang ,which is likly to be the least of your worries, nothing much more can happen (other than ignition of the gas). The LPG will be released and will disperse rather quickly into the atmosphere. Upon your petrol tank rupturing though (again, very rare) the fuel (not so bad if Diesel, but if Petrol on the other hand) is going to leave the container and either collect in a pool or trickle away in many different directions. Thus leaving a possibility of ignition once the fuel has been released, compaired LPG where the risk of ignition is only really imediatly after release (I hope this makes sence).

Worst case sinareo's (sp?).

LPG ignites upon tank rupture = Flash burns
Petrol ignites upon tank rupture, or before scene is made safe = Long burning fuel, leading to heavy burning upon anything its in touch with.

I ve got the same car it does 35mpg on motorways so you will need to spend 60 quid for petrol

Back