need EVERYBODY'S help and input please :D

Currently reading:
need EVERYBODY'S help and input please :D

Andy_sx

Established member
My Dad has just completed further training and is now a sooper dooper driving instruct, not just a normal ADI anymore.

he has had an idea for a venture beased around his new qualifications and training and has put them together (will post below)

could everyone please put down in their opinions wether or not they would consider doing it, and for what reasons.

ADVANCED DRIVER TRAINING

Basic Offer
To provide advance driver training in a relatively high performance vehicle.
There would be a one hour assessment lesson followed by a coaching course preparing drivers to be able to take their advance driving test if so required.
Delegates will be taught modern driving techniques based upon the systems taught in Roadcraft the police driver training manual’
Taught by a qualified ADI with fleet driver training qualifications and member of The Diamond Advanced Motorists. Also holder of the Diamond Special Test one of the highest qualifications for civilian drivers.

Objective
To improve standards of general road driving and encourage especially young drivers to appreciate the skills required to drive modified or high performance vehicles on today’s roads.
Giving the clear message that speed does not equate to skill and positive driving is vastly different from reckless driving.
It is appreciated that the attraction of a high performance car will get many people to book an assessment just to drive the car. However one hour can start to change someone’s attitude.

Market
Any one who would like to improve their driver skills. Offering the use of a high performance vehicle would be seen as an incentive for the younger male market.

Cost
Would be based on £60.00 per hour.
i.e. Assessment £60.00. If course taken up say driver requires 10 hours training then course would cost £600.00 less assessment cost.
Cost of test approx £50.00 and if car is required for test, hire £30.00 per hour approx £90.00.
Realistically average driver would require about six hours training and use own car for test therefore cost £410.00 in total.

QUESTION?

What car would attract the target market and justify the initial costs?

please consider that the car would be used everyday of the week for my Mum to get too and from work so would need to be reliable for this aswell as use in the idea. price range is around the 6 - 1100 mark.

Much appreciated folks

i think that is very overpriced, you have to ask yourself 'why would i pay £60/hour!! to learn to drive fast? nice empty roads at 2am...'

you would really need a nice car to sell it, but i still think its over priced....way overpriced.

as for the car :devil: Uno Turbo :devil:

Why not buy something what the police train their drivers in, vectras and volvo estates, the volvo especially wouldnt let you down and would fit your mums shopping in with ease

Its a good idea and osmething i could imagine being fun but at that price I would have to say no. To be honest. I dont think you would get much, if any interest fromyoung drivers. When you pass your test you dont want any more lessons.

Also, at that price you are automaticaly putting off young drivers. I CAN afford that but wouldnt choose too becuase it means I cant really buy anything else that week.

as much as i would like to do something like that its way too much money.consider whilst your old man has got the qualifications his overheads are really not much more than a standard driving instructor.
also it would help if you could get some insurers to come onboard with discounts for drivers completing the course.

custard boy said:
consider whilst your old man has got the qualifications his overheads are really not much more than a standard driving instructor.
That depends upon the car. It'll cost a fair bit more to run than a 900cc Micra... and presumably insurance will be a fair bit too...
H

Tend to agree with custard boy on this one, the price is way over the top and if i was in the say 17-25 age group then i could think of better things to spend my money on.(n)
:idea: Now, if you were to train me in a subaru impreza wd on a track for the day id gladly pay double. After all, how many people under 25 get the opportunity to drive a car of that quality let alone own and insure it. Incidently, you didnt mention where you would train these people to drive fast, because you couldnt do it legally on the rd. therefore it would have to be a track.
:( Also mentioned by custard boy was insurance brokers and hes right. I would want a guarantee from insurance brokers that if i took the course it would reduce my premium considerably. Otherwise id be better off spending my money on insurance.
Sorry but you did ask for our thoughts on it!:cry:

hmallett said:
That depends upon the car. It'll cost a fair bit more to run than a 900cc Micra... and presumably insurance will be a fair bit too...
H

True......................but is the extra so much that an hour lesson is over 3 times that of a normal instructor? :chin:

if it were on a track in something like a WRX (sportback for practicallity) or a evo etc (both affordable at under £10k for a mint one), then you would have something.

However you can't learn to drive fast and safely on public roads, what if they cockup? Straight into another car/pedestrian/hedge.

You need to be on a track where cockups just result in a spin or at worst some mud.

faster4_tec said:
You need to be on a track where cockups just result in a spin or at worst some mud.

Or concrete walls :dead:

thats quite pricey but a good idea, if you could have any car go for a ford ASBO!!!! (the new ST) in bright orange (good advertising and practical lol):D

thanks for the input so far people.

he does have overheads to cover, including the course etc he has just taken that cost a merry mint (didnt know he had that much money, would been nice to him otherwise :D ) but there will also be the insurance side of things which is alot to say the least, plus also other costs etc.

i personally thought that it was very overpriced aswell, but siad i would see what your opinions were aswell.

anymore opinions? what kind of price would you be willing to pay, and what would you want from it ( the knowledge of being a 'better' driver, insurance reduction etc....?)

the car wil be our own yes, but things like the insurance will have to be for the use as a training vehicle, therefore will be far more expensive than it would be for just having a familly car. there is also the possibility of having to have it fitted with dual controls, which by no means is cheap

Back