need an estate, Honda, Vw or Audi?

Currently reading:
need an estate, Honda, Vw or Audi?

was told by a group of rac machanics not to by a mondaoe

this from the people that sell crap car equipment through argos:D Seriously the mondeo diesel suffers from a problem that is simple to fix (look at any mondeo/ford forum) so i'm suprised the rac guys said this.

End of the day its your choice but I dont take 100% what people say, I buy a car because I want it for a purpose. All cars have issues or weak points otherwise there would be only one car on the market wouldn't there.

Having a safe & enjoyable journey is more important(y)

A lot of people have championed the stilo MW, but it isnt the biggest estate in the world compared to what is mentioned, good car but i think it might be too small for what you are after especially if the cars mentioned are where you are heading

what estate has a bigger load space and bigger opening that a stilo mw?:confused: last week i picked up a three seater sofa two seater sofa and a large foot stool in my mw with my dad in the car as well. i'd love to see a passat audi or civic driver manage that in one trip. these other estate are all very shiney and posh but one thing the designers of them forgot was to make the door on the back big enough to get stuff in them. they all deminish in size at the back. the honda's boot lid is a pisstake.
mw
2002-fiat-stilo-multi-wagon-14.jpg

accord
honda-accord-estate-2-2i-ctdi-executive-5dr-1517769636-640x480.jpg

Last edited:
what estate has a bigger load space and bigger opening that a stilo mw?

Figures for fiat stilo MW

Fiat Stilo Multiwagon (03-07)

Length 4516 mm
Width 1756 mm
Wheelbase 2600 mm
Luggage Capacity 510 L
Fuel Capacity 58 L

Honda Accord Tourer (03-08) (1 car mentioned)

Length 4750 mm
Width 2018 mm
Wheelbase 2720 mm
Luggage Capacity 626 L
Fuel Capacity 65 L

Alround bigger than the stilo, taller, longer, bigger luggage and fuel capacity so can go further on one tank

Volkwagen Passat (05-10) (2nd car mentioned in the list)

Length 4774 mm
Width 1820 mm
Wheelbase 2709 mm
Luggage Capacity 513 L
Fuel Capacity 70 L

Bigger capacity, much bigger car overall than the stilo, much larger fuel tank

Audi A6 - The third car mentioned, cant post their figures up because theres 2 estates the avant and the allroad, the OP doesnt specify which they want, what i will tell you is they are bigger than the stilo

Thats 4 esates bigger than the stilo, i would bet the vectra and isignia esates are bigger also and the volvos and mondeos

So in conclusion all 3 cars the OP said are a lot bigger than the stilo in every department and are rated better practicality wise and all what you said about them should be taken with a pinch of salt as the facts are on the internet and you clearly havent researched them so have a look yourself if you dont belive me

The stilo MW isnt a bad car, but its a 3 door hatchback with an arse on it, the passatt, audis, accords are bigger cars not in estate form so makes sense to be bigger cars anyway.

Amongst the suggestions made the MW is sadly lacking

Last edited:
It's all well and good manufacturers telling us how many litres of air their estates can hold in the back end but not much cop in the real world when you try to load the back end.
I used to work with a bloke who owned a discovery, thought it was great until he tried loading the boot. With the doblo being van-based, it'll take a pallette or a multi-bag no problem.​

Tbf the stillo is more of a large family car with a big boot, it's in the the 206sw category!
I want a car with a decent engine that will take well to a remap, still look good, have a good online community and still drive sporty! Stilo doesn't really tick all the boxes. Main reason for me getting an estate is I need boot space for tools and materials for work, I'm comping in a 3dr g.p so anything bigger is a bonus! Looks unprofessional when I turn up at Someones house to do a job in a hatchback!

It's all well and good manufacturers telling us how many litres of air their estates can hold in the back end but not much cop in the real world when you try to load the back end.
I used to work with a bloke who owned a discovery, thought it was great until he tried loading the boot. With the doblo being van-based, it'll take a pallette or a multi-bag no problem.​

I agree totally, it is down to real world activity

But when someone posts up a pic of two boots and says one is a 'pisstake' when in reality i cant see what is so inconvenient or unpractical about it and then asks whats bigger than his car and gets some figures of a multitude of cars bigger than his car facts start to talk

Last edited:
The Omega is a very big and under-rated car. Comfy for long distance and full of kit but older than your choices. The Mondeo is probably one of the better estates around as well. What about a Subaru Legacy estate. Not sure when they launched a diesel one tho.

Last edited:
Figures for fiat stilo MW

Fiat Stilo Multiwagon (03-07)

Length 4516 mm
Width 1756 mm
Wheelbase 2600 mm
Luggage Capacity 510 L
Fuel Capacity 58 L

Honda Accord Tourer (03-08) (1 car mentioned)

Length 4750 mm
Width 2018 mm
Wheelbase 2720 mm
Luggage Capacity 626 L
Fuel Capacity 65 L

Alround bigger than the stilo, taller, longer, bigger luggage and fuel capacity so can go further on one tank

Volkwagen Passat (05-10) (2nd car mentioned in the list)

Length 4774 mm
Width 1820 mm
Wheelbase 2709 mm
Luggage Capacity 513 L
Fuel Capacity 70 L

Bigger capacity, much bigger car overall than the stilo, much larger fuel tank

Audi A6 - The third car mentioned, cant post their figures up because theres 2 estates the avant and the allroad, the OP doesnt specify which they want, what i will tell you is they are bigger than the stilo

Thats 4 esates bigger than the stilo, i would bet the vectra and isignia esates are bigger also and the volvos and mondeos

So in conclusion all 3 cars the OP said are a lot bigger than the stilo in every department and are rated better practicality wise and all what you said about them should be taken with a pinch of salt as the facts are on the internet and you clearly havent researched them so have a look yourself if you dont belive me

The stilo MW isnt a bad car, but its a 3 door hatchback with an arse on it, the passatt, audis, accords are bigger cars not in estate form so makes sense to be bigger cars anyway.

Amongst the suggestions made the MW is sadly lacking

i have no idea how they come up with those figures but in reality i assure you they aren't fact, i use my stilo for work i'm a carpenter and joiner and my response to this thread is based on my own personal experience of using these cars in real life. when my stilo was being repaired i was loaned a vw passat a mondeo and a volvo v50 and in my opinion using them in everyday world none of the other cars were as usefull or had as bigger loading area as my mw. i can fit all my tools in the boot of my mw under the load cover i could not fit all my tool in the boot of the other cars under the load cover. none were as deep as my mw. if some one would like to post a pic of a vw passat with a two seater sofa in the boot that would be great but i don't think it would fit through the opening and as for the honda you can see for yourself that the rear wheel arches intrude to the point that you'd never get anything past them.

what is the mw sadly lacking in?:confused:

my dad got nearly 60mpg on an uphill journey in a 2008 passat to london on the m4 i would call that less than shocking

Uphill journey to London? London being that well known City that was known for flooding until they built a barrage due to its low height above sea level?

Where were you driving from? Amsterdam? Australia? :rolleyes:

+1 for the Croma. Very under-rated car for what you get. I'd make it a goal to have a look at a couple of Cromas if you were looking at Estate type cars.

Last edited:
We have 2 Multiwagons in our family, mine(silver) and my daughters(red). I dont class the Multiwagon as full sized estate car. Its overall dimensions are smaller than most estates but bigger than most saloons. Its sort of in the middle. It does however make very good use of the space inside and in most circumstances its far more practical/usable than its larger cousins. The space by volume may be bigger in a Honda, Volvo etc but it isn't as usable due to things like inner wheel arches protruding into the space.
My daughter shy's away from driving larger cars Volvo's etc but is more than happy throwing my multiwagon with a Mont Blanc Vista 540 litre roof box about.

We love em, if you need more space do what I did and add a roof box.

Attachments

• DSC00422.JPG
    DSC00422.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC00423.JPG
    DSC00423.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
have you looked at volvo's? we've just bought a 54 plate V70 with heated leather, surround sound etc, its amazing, 2.4 D5 and does 41mpg driving it hard. we got it for 4k which is a great price for the car. well worth a look.

german cars are great, but you don't get a lot for the money as standard, especally things like surround sound.

this ones like mine, but a year or so newer, gotta be one of the best colours too:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-V70-2-4...7327180?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4153b6404c

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Problem with the Volvo diesels is the particulate filter juice requires topping up, and whole filter replacement every 72,000 miles.

The Croma 2.4 multijet (200bhp) uses the fiat DPF system so no topping up or replacing required. Only comes in auto though which can be a blessing as much as an annoyance.

want space?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
i dont know if the accord has the same clutch as the new shape civic but if it does there is a problem where the car eats them quite often.

the 1.9 130 is supposed to be the best out of the older tdi engines not many problems with them and easily run till they are 200k+ aslong as serviced correctly

the 2.0 tdi is a 1.9 bored out and the early ones had a problem with cylinder heads cracking there were 3 revisions:

a - pretty much guarenteed to crack
b - 50:50
c - very few

(can u tell that i have been looking for a new car)

Uphill journey to London? London being that well known City that was known for flooding until they built a barrage due to its low height above sea level?

Where were you driving from? Amsterdam? Australia? :rolleyes:

:eek: ummm just testing. but it was bristol .. coulda swore there was lots of uphill ... well was still about 57mpg going back. still not to be laughed at

it says:
"The DPF looks similar to a traditional exhaust silencer, but is mounted close to the engine. Inside is a complex honeycomb ceramic structure designed to filter the exhaust gases while minimising flow (which would otherwise limit performance). By forcing the exhaust gases through the walls between the channels of the DPF, the particulate matter is deposited on the walls, so reducing the amount of air pollution."

"When the DPF is becoming full, with around 80% load, it automatically cleans itself by initiating a process called regeneration. This process increases the temperature in the DPF and burns off the soot particles. To initiate regeneration, the DPF needs to reach and maintain a high exhaust temperature. This is normally achieved during motorway or higher speed driving. This "passive" regeneration occurs continually, and will go unnoticed by the driver."

Back