Technical Mystery Electronics

Currently reading:
Technical Mystery Electronics

While trying to fix my indicators I came across this electronic circuit that has been crudely spliced into the cars wiring. Any ideas what it might do?

Attachments

• relay 3.JPG
    relay 3.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • relay 4.JPG
    relay 4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
If the black 8 pin integrated circuit has 555 written on it, it's a timer so could be an interior light delay. The 2 black round things to the right are adjustable resistors, to adjust the delay perhaps. The blue box looks like a relay.

If the black 8 pin integrated circuit has 555 written on it, it's a timer so could be an interior light delay. The 2 black round things to the right are adjustable resistors, to adjust the delay perhaps. The blue box looks like a relay.

:yeahthat:

Possibly a follow me home setup for headlights?

What's it spliced into?

:yeahthat:

Possibly a follow me home setup for headlights?

What's it spliced into?

Its connected to a couple of the relays one of which seems to be to do with the central locking. Its attached the simple expedient of jamming the bare end of the wire into one of the holes for the relays. It appears to have no effect at all when its wires are disconnected. Maybe i shouldn't worry it wont be any great loss

hmm. possible it could be a delayed relay. most likely to auto lock the doors after a few seconds of the ignition being turned on.

ahh central locking.. if i had it...

Edit:
i knew i have seen that somewhere else... and he cheated too its pre-soldered.. wheres the fun in that.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mk111-adjustable-timer-with-relay-output-25224

Last edited:
hmm. possible it could be a delayed relay. most likely to auto lock the doors after a few seconds of the ignition being turned on.

ahh central locking.. if i had it...

Edit:
i knew i have seen that somewhere else... and he cheated too its pre-soldered.. wheres the fun in that.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mk111-adjustable-timer-with-relay-output-25224

Its always had the habit of locking itself then unlocking itself suddenly with no warning on occasion so maybe I have found the culprit. Your right Dragonman it is pre soldered, either way its history. No more :nutter: electronics for me

That is exact pcb/ time delay reley which i was considering to use as diy immobiliser. The plan was to have the relay cutting ignition after 30sec if micro hiden push button was not pressed, or two points not grouded (additional pcb required).

Last edited:
its a sad thing when a 24 year old can look at a picture of a mystery electronic PCB and know its from maplins.
it was the first thing i thought when i saw it.. it just screams maplins just by the way it looks.

At least you seem to understand it. My knowledge of electrics is based on high school physics which doesn't always help with the spag bog electrics. Found the culprit of the dodgy indicators

Attachments

• relay 2.JPG
    relay 2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back