Technical Classic Panda Weak Spark on start - time for an Electronic Ignition?

Currently reading:
Technical Classic Panda Weak Spark on start - time for an Electronic Ignition?

Avspotter

Weak Spark on start - time for an Electronic Ignition?

Hi all,

A few weeks ago my 1988 Panda (1000CL) broke down after the ignition coil failed. I subsequently replaced the coil and the engine would start but would run rough (just as it felt as the ignition coil started to fail). With each start the engine would find it harder and harder to start, to the point now that it now won't start at all, including when wired up to another car's battery.

I've diagnosed this as being due to a weak spark when cranking the engine over. I've tested each spark with a light tester, and the light is much weaker than it should be - every now and then the light is bright (when the spark is strong - I don't know why it is infrequent like this?) and the ignition appears to catch and almost start the engine but it then returns to the weak spark and engine cranking over.

I've checked the obvious things (spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, etc...) and these are all in good nick. I should add that I haven't been able to look inside the distributor itself due to a stripped screw head on the cover, so this part has not been checked. So my question is:

Is there an easy fix for this, or is it time for me to install an electronic ignition? And if so, does anybody have any suggestions for a good value electronic ignition for the 1000cc engine?

Thanks all

Last edited:
All fixed now - was due to contacts on the distributor having slipped so they had minimal separation. I'll leave this post up though for anyone else having the same issue.

having problems with 80s Uno weak spark problems to do with actually getting spares and also diagnosing which part has failed, I am old school and much more familiar with points type distributor, I am seriously considering reverting back to points type, is there a Fiat camshaft distributor that will fit my FIRE 999 engine cheers

having problems with 80s Uno weak spark problems to do with actually getting spares and also diagnosing which part has failed, I am old school and much more familiar with points type distributor, I am seriously considering reverting back to points type, is there a Fiat camshaft distributor that will fit my FIRE 999 engine cheers
I am with you on this. Electronic ignition is all well and good as long as nothing goes wrong with it! I imagine that the original distributor from a pre 1992 Panda 1000 would be a straight swap and I have seen a few posts from Panda owners who have changed to electronic ignition so should be some surplus points distributors around.

Back