Technical My strutbrace does not fit

Currently reading:
Technical My strutbrace does not fit

MattB2k

Finally got her perfect
Hello all

My OMP Strutbrace arrived yesterday from Strutbracer http://www.strutbracer.co.uk/page1.php?sitepage=3&manuf=26&modelid=250. This morning I got all set up to bolt it on only to discover that it will not fit.(n)

Please see picture below. Where the air intake goes into the throttle body it protrudes right into the would be path of the Strutbrace (represented on the photo by a red translucent stripe).

attachment.php

So my questions to the ladies and gentlemen on the Forum are:

1) Anyone know a strutbrace that will fit my B??

2) Anyone want a new OMP strutbrace and can collect it from Nottingham? Please PM me and we can agree a price. I am just looking to avoid postage costs for sending it back to Strutbracer:eek:.

Attachments

• DSCF2128a.jpg
    DSCF2128a.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 355
that should not happen
there is a reason why there is a "kink" in the bar (on the ABS version the kink is even bigger)

you sure they have send you the right one?

Hello all

My OMP Strutbrace arrived yesterday from Strutbracer http://www.strutbracer.co.uk/page1.php?sitepage=3&manuf=26&modelid=250. This morning I got all set up to bolt it on only to discover that it will not fit.(n)

Please see picture below. Where the air intake goes into the throttle body it protrudes right into the would be path of the Strutbrace (represented on the photo by a red translucent stripe).

attachment.php

So my questions to the ladies and gentlemen on the Forum are:

1) Anyone know a strutbrace that will fit my B??

2) Anyone want a new OMP strutbrace and can collect it from Nottingham? Please PM me and we can agree a price. I am just looking to avoid postage costs for sending it back to Strutbracer:eek:.

Sparco is the one to go for.

Thanks all.

It did say it wouldn't fit an ABS car which explains the lack of a kink in it. As my car doesn't have ABS, I figured I would be on the right track.

I shall get onto Docs thread and then I guess look out for a Sparco one (thanks KC3).

One positive was that I really enjoyed getting the two bolts off, cleaning them with WD and replacing them all greased up.

Now that I've got the spanners I could swiftly form a habit.

check this image. left one is Doc's engine bay (ABS), right one is mine (no ABS). you will see also that induction is little different... mine induction hose elbow does not go up as in doc... see arrows... so your strut will probably fit in mine engine bay...

I've got a Sparco strutbrace and ABS. The bar still manages to force the top of the inlet done a fair bit. So much so it split the rubber hose. I did some surgery on the replacement pipe with a sharp knife and gaffer taped the whole thing together. It was supposed to be a temp repair until I could think of something better but its fine after 10k miles and the heat in the engine bay has fused tape to inlet pipe so its not going anywhere quickly.

there as a slight change on the inlet pipe and throthle position between 1998 and 1999 wen they positiond airflow sensor in the throthle body so the cheaper strut braces from ebay doesnt fit to B from 1999 and younger
i dont know how it goes with sparco - does it fit to 99 B's?

cheers

there as a slight change on the inlet pipe and throthle position between 1998 and 1999 wen they positiond airflow sensor in the throthle body so the cheaper strut braces from ebay doesnt fit to B from 1999 and younger
i dont know how it goes with sparco - does it fit to 99 B's?

cheers

well just to be difficult i have a 96 with abs and got a strutbrace for about £20 of ebay and it fitted sweet as a nut go figure!!!!

yeah, why not
But I'm afraid that shipment from poland to uk would cost twice as much as the strut bar..

gotta check shipment prizes

greetz

Poland to Norway ;) You could give it to the blokes that smuggle the cigarettes I buy to save on shipping :)

Btw., what model B did it not fit on? Post-'99?

99 German Riviera

Im afraid i dont know any blokes that smuggle cig's to norway

That's because they're all in jail ;) Had 4 cars with cigs heading to the local garage being stopped at the border recently :(

Anyhow, if you could check the postage to Norway some day I'd much appreciate it :)

Back