General My imola blue cinq sporting :)

Currently reading:
General My imola blue cinq sporting :)

Hi, im kristian or red rocket cinq. I have a 1998 fiat cinquecento sporting in Imola Blue. I bought the car with no mot or tax for £350 as it was in really good condi tion outside and underneath and evan better inside. I took it for an mot the same day i bought it and it passed with no adviseries and emissions was perfect (not bad for a car that wa s off the road for 4 months and only done 100 miles since last mot). heres the first pics of when i got the car.

I had it for a few weeks and bought a cat back stainless exhaust, tinted the rear side windows (still got the rear one t o do) and tinted the rear lights. A few weeks later on my way home f rom work and oh no lost compression.... the head gasket has gone, ok lets get it in the garage and take the head off and vola big chunk missing out of my hed gasket.

Is this a common place for the gasket to go as this happend on my other cinq too. anyway got a new headgasket set: headgasket, bolts, timing belt and tensioner oh and a new water pump while its all off. put it all back together only took a couple of hrs from start to finish. moment of truth, cranking over but not starting, damn what could it be, checked fuel, yep plenty of fuel checked ignition fr om coils mmmm ah i know crankshaft pully and what do you no i left it off, what a fool lol. put it on a started first time oh yes big smile.

ok since then ive had no problems (touch wood) and has started first tiime every time evan in this really cold weather we have had. since then i have made a few other mods, bought a set of abarth alloys in black from smokychento for £100 a ll with really good tread and a spare parelli, also a full set of front and rear calipers, disks and pads off a punto gt turbo also for £100. fitted the front punto gt bra kes and then the abarth alloys.the rear calipers, disks and pads will have to wait untill i find the brakets needed.

rears are abit rusty but will clean up.

Right got some more pics of future upgrades iive bought, ive just realized i aint got any pics of my abarth body kit i bought of someone who was advertising it on FF classifieds. got the lot for £220 comes with front/rear bumper extender, side skirts and rear spoiler, also a pair of front fogs which i would amagine are really hard to find now. all genuine abarth parts. will p ost pics of that another day. right, a few weeks ago smokychento told me a bout an engine that was on clubcento. so i thort well its only 10 mins away from me ill have a look heres some pics.

Well as you can see its really tidy here is what ihas been done:
1242 60 spi Engine with 866 cam shaft.
1/ Brand new parts fitted all Genuine Fiat unless otherwise stated:
2/ Water pump and thermostat.
3/ New sump.
4/ Timing belt crank pulley and timing belt tensioner.2
5/ 2x new 50mm? core plugs.
6/ New complete engine gasket set and new seals.
7/ New cylinder head gasket.
8/ New Federal Mogul piston rings fitted.
9/ New stainless fasteners fitted.
10/ New sparkplugs.

Valves de-coked and relapped, Piston de-coked and thoroughly cleaned, cylinder head ports opened up and smoothed off, combustion chambers de-coked and smoothed.
Engine block painted Fire red, engine must be seen, never been used and dry stored (dining room).
Includes inlet manifold and throttle body.

he also chucked in the engine stand

so like i said went to have a look, now i went with no itention of buying it as its been on clubcento for like 3 yrs for sale and no one want ed it, so i thought maybe its someone that doesnt know what they are doing or talking about and thats why no one has bought it, but the guy i bought it off work at alfa romeo so he should no w hat hes doing. anyway we was there talking and someone else turned up wanting to buy it and said that if i didnt have it he would, so really i couldnt say no and for £150 you cant go wrong. the engine is spotless and everything is brand new on it and all genuine parts. so after i paid him i asked him does he k now anyone selling the brackets for the rear brake conversion, he had some so i had to have a look. heres some pics.

£50... yes ill have them well worth that and it has the caliper carriers all with new seals, brand new polyurathane bushes which are expensive on their own, happy days. this was extras he threw in with it:

yes all for £50 .
brand new rear disks, brand new bracket, some air filter not sure what make and a spare manifold for if i decide to go turbo.

well thats it for now, shall keep you up to date on what happens, also leave feedback if you want good or bad, allways good to know what people think. thanks

Right just decided after a verry cold trip from work to home. Im going to design my own cooling system using different routes with the pipes. Has anyone actually just looked at the design? No wonder in weather like this it takes the car forever just to get a bit warmer, the pipes that go to the heater matrix are also connected in the same place as the pipes coming from the rad, so its just draging cold water from the rad into the matrix. Time for some testing i think. To me it looks like a poor design from fiat. If anyone has tried this let me know how it went.

Yh, ive bleed it a few times now and evan bought coolant flush for it yesterday just in case it was all blocked. I dont no what else to try now see. I drive about 6 miles to work and its slightly warm by the time i get there.

Fingers is right, the design is fine.
what ever issue you have is with the car and not the design.

If the thermostat is working as it should, and the water pump is moving the water the only reason one would not be getting heat is a blockage of some kind.

Air or crud in the heater matrix would do it, as would perhaps the controls on the dash not moving the flaps to pass air over the matrix.

If you hack away at the cooling system you will just cause more work for your self...... Fiat do have a R&D budget that they use, I think its likely they did the best design with the constraints set.

Back