General multijet starting problem

Currently reading:
General multijet starting problem

steve w hebburn

hi, just recently im having a problem with my 55 plate panda mj.95k.not started for 3 days. after giving it 2 glow plug heats, it started& ran rough, on what i think is 3 cylinders.wont rev properly.:confused: quite a bit of blue smoke. it cleared after 20/30 seconds or so. and then ran ok..:rolleyes: but did blank the road behind with a trail of blue smoke. im thinking 1 of the glow plugs is u/s. any suggestions guys . steve (y)

Last edited:
hi, just recently im having a problem with my 55 plate panda mj.95k.not started for 3 days. after giving it 2 glow plug heats, it started& ran rough, on what i think is 3 cylinders.wont rev properly.:confused: quite a bit of blue smoke. it cleared after 20/30 seconds or so. and then ran ok..:rolleyes: but did blank the road behind with a trail of blue smoke. im thinking 1 of the glow plugs is u/s. any suggestions guys . steve (y)
Check oil level, but I suggest a compression test.
blue smoke normally points at burning oil in the combustion chamber, could be valve stem seals.

Probably 1 or maybe 2 glow plugs.

Or could be air filter getting damp if you haven't waterproofed the middle screw of the plastic cover below the windscreen.

hi, thank you for the info. oil level is fine.as i check everything at least weekly. screw under panel is sealed. a very well known panda fault,along with gap at rear of air filter casing , both sorted when i bought the car nearly 3 years ago. thats why i was thinking it was a glow plug,as strange how it started fine at 9am today. before my trip to blackpool. got home 8.40pm, no probems at all. regards, steve.

Last edited:
The glow plugs will hardly heat (if at all) when the engine is hot. So if its just a cold start issue, then it likely one or more glow plugs are not getting hot.

hi, thank you for the info.(y) when i switch ignition on the glow plug symbol goes off after a few seconds. as it should.:rolleyes: there,s no symbol on when driving. car drives fine after engine warms up.:rolleyes: still think its glow plug related.:idea: fluids, tyres, etc checked every week. i dont drive it every day, as i have a works van. regards,. steve (y)

Last edited:
hi, still got the starting problem :bang: ( with blue smoke,rough idle ) but drives fine when warmed up. but now bringing up po101 & po110 trouble codes . which relates to the maf air sensor:mad:. if i unpug it when engine running. makes no difference :confused: will have to clean or replace it. any advice guys :idea: as always a big thank you for your advice..steve(y)

hi, raising revs didnt make car run on 4 . car will only run good after i drive on the road. as above, showing error codes po101 & po110. just bought & fitted brand new yuasa 45a battery today(,now starting on 1 pre heat.) as i was using jump pack every morning. cheers, steve.

Last edited:
hi, raising revs didnt make car run on 4 . car will only run good after i drive on the road. as above, showing error codes po101 & po110. just bought & fitted brand new yuasa 45a battery today(,now starting on 1 pre heat.) as i was using jump pack every morning. cheers, steve.

Not sure if this is viable..

The injectors requires rail pressure.. rail pressure relies on Rpm

A tired battery will cramp both..

Be good to see what new battery does

Egr valve?

Mine used to have the issue when cold, it would start up on 3 cylinders, and would rev up to around 3k rpm stuttering on 3 cylinders, then it would suddenly clear and run on all 4, then run fine.

Mine was a knackered egr valve.

Egr valve?

Mine used to have the issue when cold, it would start up on 3 cylinders, and would rev up to around 3k rpm stuttering on 3 cylinders, then it would suddenly clear and run on all 4, then run fine.

Mine was a knackered egr valve.

Did it not shuttle..??

Or just choked
Any warning lights of stored codes?

No warning lights or codes.

It wasn't coked up. I took the intake manifold and egr off to clean them out....didn't actually need doing, previous owner had run egr cleaner through it very regularly from new.

It seemed to be getting stuck open at times.

I ended up putting a blanking plate in, unplugged it, then fitted an egr simulator to stop fault code coming up.

Sorted the problem.

hi, cinq999. exactly same problems as you have had. :eek: brand new battery fitted today. so will help a lot. as sometimes not using car for a few days due to work van.;) can understand problem of 1 glow plug off, its fine when warmed up, no warning lights on dash..its just the start up from cold.:bang: going to use a can of wynns extreme egr cleaner,as think it could have issues with egr.may just fit a blanking plate.. & also clean maf or replace it, as nothing happens when i unplug it when engine running. (n) did have code po101 & po110 . now cleared. all connections look ok. cheers, steve (y)

Last edited:
Back