Technical Multijet Leaking timing chain cover. How much cost to get it re-sealed?

Currently reading:
Technical Multijet Leaking timing chain cover. How much cost to get it re-sealed?

Hi
My 2007 Panda multijet has had an oil leak from the timing chain cover for several years but now it’s got a lot worse. How much do you estimate it should cost in a garage to get the timing chain cover removed and resealed with a new gasket? Or is it a job I can do myself? Has any one done it themselves? Thanks in advance.

There are two leak areas.
Crankcase breather sits under the inlet manifold. You have to get under the car to see it.
Crankshaft main seal. It runs on the hub which drives the auxiliary belt. The hub wears and leaks.
If the car is approaching 100,000 miles (160,000 km) you’ll need to replace the timing chain the crank seal and hub come with the parts kit.

Check the alignment of cylinder head to cylinder block. It’s aligned with dowels but the head has slotted holes. It’s quite easy to fit the head stepped back a mm or two from the block end. This will create an oil leak. It can be “fixed” with silicone RTV either side of the cam chain cover gasket. Not ideal but better than removing the cylinder head.

Back