Technical Mulitpla engine problem

Currently reading:
Technical Mulitpla engine problem

stevie

Hello all, we've had the multipla for just over a year and have had a few problems.
The biggest and most annoying is that of what appears to be a sticky throttle cable but isn't.
What happens is that the engine will respond perfectly well to the throttle pedal but when you lift off the pedal, the revs stay where they were. Naturally, the fault is intermittent.
It isn't a sticky cable as it returns freely and after a number of attempts at curing it, the local dealer hasn't got a clue.
Has this happened to anybody else?
Fiat insist that they have never seen this before but I'm not so sure.
BTW, the engine returns to normal revs if you turn it off for a second or two.

I also have a list of defects and problems found not only with the car but various dealers - another day perhaps.
If it wasn't so versatile, it would be traded in for something non-Fiat.[xx(]

I don't have a solution to your problem Stevie but your comments about the car in general struck a chord with me. My Multipla is just over two years old now and it's a brilliant family car, but we too have been dogged by various (intermittant)problems which the dealer has been unable to fix.

Our diesel model looses power when it is cold and frequently displays all manner of warning messages......

"Humidity diesel filter" (There is no water in the new filter)
"Brake fluid low" (The resevoir is full)
"Oil Level low" (The oil is at the correct level)
and then, the following day........
"Oil level too high"

We are on our fourth NS headlight, all of which fill up with water.

Today, I unlocked the car and ten seconds later it locked itself. Good job I didn't leave the key on the driver's seat!

The receptionist at the dealer fobbed my wife off, telling her that she only needed to contact the garage is something was actually wrong! Oh yeah, I can just imagine their reaction to a warranty claim in respect of a seized engine caused by lack of oil when the customer had ignored "oil level low" warnings. Needless to say, I had plenty to moan about when I completed my customer satisfaction survey from yesterday.

It's very frustrating. It's a great car in concept, but our experience is being spoiled by niggles and the dealer's inability to fix them. And what is the point of a three year warranty when the dealer can't fix anything?

We too have had a few niggles with our Multipla.
The "Humidity Diesel Fault" has been with us from day one. After several attempts by the dealer to fit a new sensor the problem remains. We now ignore the fault in the hope that a real fault would not occur.
Our Battery went flat over the winter, which in itself was not an issue but we now have no alarm system. The dealer has changed codes and re-programmed but to no avail. The remotes work but do not arm the alarm....has anybody seen these 2 problems?:p

We have had our 115 SX JTD for a week now and have come across the "Humidity Diesel Filter" problem. I have found that if the engine is started before the glowplug light goes out (while some of the system checks are in progress) this warning is shown. I suspect that the load on the electrical system during starting effects the system testing and can throw up any number of incorrect warnings. Waiting an extra couple of seconds results in no warnings.

Seems I have a 105JTD throttle problem too!
Started yesterday - the engine just runs away to 4500 rpm. In the end had to get recovery to bring the car back , whick 12 hours later seems OK. The auto electrician is due so more on that later ( Fiat dealer could not even loo at the car for 10 days and due off on holiday in 3). The RAC reckon a throttle sensor or ecu.
Other problems - 1. leaking sunroof (but only occasionally) 2. Humidity in Diesel filter - sensor eventually removed. 3. - leaking NSF headlight. 4. Oil level to high when it is not.

Hello,

Our Multipla has done this from Day One. It seems worse when you havent driven the car for say, a week or two. On these occassions the cpu says "engine oil pressure low - switch off engine" before revving to 5000 and staying there. It also revs to 1500m rpm in traffic on hot days when the aircon is on.

Does anyone know if this is a real fault or a major design problem? Seems to me that the alternator is overunning due to the demand of the aircon pump or engine fan?

Water in headlight - open the bonnet and you'll see, next to the adjuster knob, a tubular molding running horizontally rearwards. Cover this with insulationg tape and it should stop the water ingress, which is being kicked up by the wheel. Doesn't happen on the RHS wheel as the washer tank's in the way. Hope this helps. HAs anyone had any experience of the glowplug light flashing after engine start for a few seconds? Mine's just started doing it in the past couple of days - not sure whether it's ambient temp related (doubt it) or a hard fault, Any info appreciated. Fiats workshop manual available on CD -£10 per copy inc p&p. Drop me a mail for info.

I've had probs from day one as well (separate post re: engine judder - check it out).

What i do see from this is the poor response from Fiat dealers. My dealer is in Nuneaton (26mile trip!) and is basically pants - they've already had a formal complaint from me about the car probs not being resolved (even now) and two members of staff!!

To compound it - they can't find a problem, yet agree that there is one but flatly refuse to reimburse me the milage they are adding to my car and the petrol used (about 3/4 tank - but that's because fuel consumption is dire on the Eleganza, or maybe it is just my 'Friday afternoon' version).

Would welcome support before i take my case to Watchdog to get it on the TV!

If I could afford it, i'd get rid of the car now and buy something non-Fiat.

I've had other new cars and none have been perfect. But the early dealership problems have vastly compounded it.

I think you're right - try Fiat themselves.

Thanks.

Just to add to my woes, today my Multipla developed the so called 'sticky throttle' - sitting in traffic it ticked over between 1k and 1.5k revs. I pressed the throttle to see if it would reset and it stuck. Usually sticks when just over 4k revs. Didn't do it when moving, just when in stationary traffic.

Another one for the dealer to make excuses for.

I'm due to see dealer this week, so i'll post up the response. visit back here to see what they say (will be good for a laugh, i suppose!).

Anybody want to buy a '54 plate Eleganza?

I have found the oil level high warning can operate with oil at max mark if you park facing uphill on a steep bank. Once operated it sometimes sticks on for days. Only used one dealer but it would appear that there manual seems to say "Report no fault can be found". Just got car back after several complaints of oil leak, eventually they said it was coming from the turbo so that was changed under warrenty, however the oil leak is now much worse.

We have a 2001 jtd multipla with the "sticky throttle cable" problem. Intermittent of course. Took it to our local dealer, JMD durham, and they diagnosed an airflow meter problem which was replaced. Sorted or so it seemed. Two weeks later same problem. What now? Trawling the net, shows up the potentiometer failure problem. Would this cause an intermittent fault?

I bought a Fiat Multipla Technical service cd from ebay a while back. Never used it but looked at it today. It seems lika an idiots guide for fault finding except it doesn't offer other possibilities than the one fiat wants. I think that the "mechanics" at the local dealer are little more than blokes with spanners, refering to this cd. I despair.

hogi wan said:
I think that the "mechanics" at the local dealer are little more than blokes with spanners, refering to this cd. I despair.

Mechanics do have spanners yes that is correct :rolleyes: However as for refering to the CD I think you find most workshops dont have a computer in them therefore have to share one with the office workers.Can I ask what you do for a living?

hogi wan said:
We have a 2001 jtd multipla with the "sticky throttle cable" problem. Intermittent of course. Took it to our local dealer, JMD durham, and they diagnosed an airflow meter problem which was replaced. Sorted or so it seemed. Two weeks later same problem. What now? Trawling the net, shows up the potentiometer failure problem. Would this cause an intermittent fault?
:chin: I remember some time ago, that multipla JTD's having problems with revs staying up/ EM Light coming on.
This was due to a throttle potentiometer communication problem between the pedal and the throttle body (drive by wire system).

The repair procedure was to remove the multi-pin connector from the system, and solder the wires instead- this has proven in the past to be very effective.

The connector is white in colour, is under the dash on the passenger side, and has about 8-10 wires, they are 1 colour on one side and a different colour on the other side of the connector.

Last edited:
Hi Stevie,

Throttle problems were (in my case) caused by the "throttle potentiometer" thingummy. My (non- franchised) menders in Catford hooked the car up to the FIAT disgnosis computer which pointed it out. They took the part out & cleaned it up & banged it on the workbench a couple of times. This has fixed it. They told me that if it keeps happening, then a replacement part would be required (did have a new one of these from the dealer under warranty when the car was about 8 months old).

Anash27 speaks about the "Humidity Diesel Filter" problem. In my experience this only ever happens to me, never to my wife. The reason is (according to the menders) that I'm impatient & don't wait for the gloworm light to go out before starting the engine. Have patience, remain serene. By the way Anash27, I used to go to school in Callington (lived in Gunnislake), does the delicious aroma from the Ginster's Pasty factory still tantalise as one drives past?

Regards from Disgusted.

Continuing the thread...

Hi Stevie,

Throttle problems were (in my case) caused by the "throttle potentiometer" thingummy. My (non- franchised) menders in Catford hooked the car up to the FIAT disgnosis computer which pointed it out. They took the part out & cleaned it up & banged it on the workbench a couple of times. This has fixed it. They told me that if it keeps happening, then a replacement part would be required (did have a new one of these from the dealer under warranty when the car was about 8 months old).

Anash27 speaks about the "Humidity Diesel Filter" problem. In my experience this only ever happens to me, never to my wife. The reason is (according to the menders) that I'm impatient & don't wait for the gloworm light to go out before starting the engine. Have patience, remain serene. By the way Anash27, I used to go to school in Callington (lived in Gunnislake), does the delicious aroma from the Ginster's Pasty factory still tantalise as one drives past?

Regards from Disgusted (now of Tunbridge Wells).

I'm sure its only partly 'fly by wire'? From pedal to passenger side(theres a connector in center that gives trouble)from there its cable into engine bay which can seize but responds well to lubrication.......and a hammer ;)

disgusted said:
Continuing the thread...

By the way Anash27, I used to go to school in Callington (lived in Gunnislake), does the delicious aroma from the Ginster's Pasty factory still tantalise as one drives past?

Regards from Disgusted (now of Tunbridge Wells).

YEP still smells of pasties!!! I went to Callington school too..1981 - 1984!

Live near Launceston now.

Back