Technical Mpg

Currently reading:
Technical Mpg

Lemonchello

Hey guys just wondering what kinda MPG people are getting in their Seicento's?? I have a sporting and by the looks of things filling it up with 35 litres of fuel is going to get me 250 miles on a tank.....should i be getting more?!?

I have the Cinquecento Sporting and have just filled up today and the mileage was at 310. Filled up nearly 2 weeks ago 25.80 litres and have done a mixture of motorway and town driving.

This equates to approx 54.6 mpg on VPower fuel and have now just filled up 28.15 litres using normal unleaded to see if there is now any difference on mileage and performance.

BTW the tank still had just under a quarter of fuel left on fill up as the flashing yellow indicator does my head in so I usually fill up when it starts doing it's thang!

I'd brim fill it a few times to get an idea of how far you're going. On light town work and motorway/A-road work I'm getting low to mid 40s from my Seicento, that's about 300 miles to the low fuel warning light.

thanks guys, yes according to Fiat the Seicento sporting does 46mpg (combined), so with its 35 litre tank it should do 310 miles.

I will keep an eye on mine because if i am only getting 250 miles something is not right! I havnt been driving hard at all.....Although it is due for a service next week and i am sure this will help things...

Will be interesting to here about your comparisons with the Optimax and standard fuel. I used to own a Mini Cooper S Works and optimax worked wonders with this. But i would expect it to because it has a tuned supercharged engine. I wouldnt expect Optimax to make any difference (at least performance wise) in a Seicento but i would be interested on hearing peoples thoughts....

I drive mine moderate-to-hard, and get 250 miles with standard unleaded and about 280 with Optimax/BP Ultimate/Shell VPower etc.

These fuels help the performance a tiny bit, but that's not really why I use them. They improve the fuel economy and range, therefore though a tank costs more (an extra few pence per litre anyway), it lasts longer - so it probably saves money, or at the very least costs the same, with a mild performance increase.

The stated 310 is FIAT being optimistic and presuming you'll be light on the throttle. But with the torque curve being as high up as it is on a Sei, if you want to keep a reasonable pace (or often just keep up with traffic!) plenty of revs are required. This can be at least in part remedied with intelligent gear usage, but ultimately most of us end up having to have a fairly heavy right foot. Particularly on the motorway, if you want to accelerate from 60 to 80 or anywhere inbetween, and you're not going downhill, you pretty much have to put your foot right down, spurting tons of fuel.

Manufacturers will always over-estimate the fuel economy, and under-estimate the performance.

I find certain circumstances are more fuel-heavy. When my radiator was going, when my exhaust was disintegrating, and when my induction kit feed tube fell off (whoops :p) my fuel consumption got worse. Any of these parts, and presumably more, can affect fuel economy if they require adjustment/repair/replacement.

Also, remember that with older cars like the Sei (most of which are at least 5 years old, most probably older) numerous parts have been replaced with other manufacturers bits, and different cars have sustained different levels of wear & tear. It's no surprise that some on FF have reported very different consumption figures. Also, some people calculate incorrectly.

One last point - the fuel tank can take a lot more fuel than the standard petrol station fuel pumps want to give it. The pump tends to click off at around 31/32 litres. Try removing the pump and letting the tank settle for a second, then trying again. Also, a slow stream of fuel may enter with the pump outside of the fuel tank (just pour it in). I've managed 34 litres before (and I presume the tank had at least a litre as I never run it to stopping!). It's in part about patience. Note how the car's fuel gauge has an area over the MAX point.

I did a thread ages ago on it as well, bet a search would turn up some results.

I got about 270-290 on a tank, 330 at a push being very frugal.

270 was ragging it all the time, and the savings for driving like a nun, just didn't seem worth it! lol

Currently I'm pushing 240-250 tops on a tank :yuck: but that should be sorted soon with a proper mapping and management.

Kristian

Usually low 40's from my 899 Cinq, but it isn't driven gently... (y)

On a calmer, less 'flat out' run it would easily use a lot less.

One last point - the fuel tank can take a lot more fuel than the standard petrol station fuel pumps want to give it. The pump tends to click off at around 31/32 litres. Try removing the pump and letting the tank settle for a second, then trying again. Also, a slow stream of fuel may enter with the pump outside of the fuel tank (just pour it in). I've managed 34 litres before (and I presume the tank had at least a litre as I never run it to stopping!). It's in part about patience. Note how the car's fuel gauge has an area over the MAX point.
Overfilling a tank can lead to interesting results, there is supposed to be an air gap in the tank and the neck of the fuel filler hose isn't really a good thing to fill up to much. This can lead to a pressurised tank and fuel leaking past various seals etc.

Overfilling a tank can lead to interesting results, there is supposed to be an air gap in the tank and the neck of the fuel filler hose isn't really a good thing to fill up to much. This can lead to a pressurised tank and fuel leaking past various seals etc.

Duly noted :D cheers

Oh one other thing - my car was one of the many subject to a recall a while back, which involved a fuel tank replacement. I presume this was the same size tank, but clearly it was a different tank as if not they wouldnt have bothered replacing it.

Just reporting back with the results for Lemonchello on the Optimax 98 vs Unleaded 95 debate.

Managed to get 270 miles out of a tank of unleaded 95 based on purely town driving and minimal motorways still with about 7 litres of fuel left.
Worked out to be about 42.5mpg and with a slightly heavy right foot!

Would have tried the Optimax again today, but at £1.02 a litre I thought better of it.

Still not entirely convinced whether there are any benefits from using Optimax, although the motorway driving proved to give slightly better mpg's and I have to admit the car did feel a little more pokey!

got a 899 cinq and i get between 300 and 350 miles to a 30 litre tank depending on how i rev etc...

its great all my mates envy how economical my car is, £30 quid for a fulltank and it lasts ages

How big is a cinq tank? Think i get 28/29L from the reserve light.

Should really throw 5L in a can and see how far i get with the light on.

As for MPG, with a chipped / P75 cam / 40mmTB / exhaust / Airbox i get 220 miles (on low profile tyres, so a true 200ish miles) till reserve thrashing it for it's life with 3 or 4 people in the car.

Managed 270 to reserve this week and i'm going to drive like a granny for a tank to try and push 300.

If i can push 300 i'll be happy as thats 50% more miles from the same amount of petrol!

If i can push 300 i'll be happy as thats 50% more miles from the same amount of petrol!

Got 307 to reserve this tank (28.5L to brim it)

100 miles to the fist quarter. 200 to half. 270~ to 3/4 empty.

Keeping it between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm most of the time, sticking to speed limits and sitting on the motorway at 65mph.

Good mix of towns / A / B / Motorways. Some 120mph sprints to show that i might be small, but i'm not that slow.

So, 33MPG thrashing, 50MPG granny driving 90% of the time.

Dragging up this old thread, my Cinquecento Sporting's been getting 46 mpg (uk gallons) in the last two fillups, using 95 octane. Just filled it up with 99 octane at Tesco's. It's got 87400 miles on the clock. It got 35 mpg prior to it's latest tuneup.

275.4 miles = 443.213 km
6 gallons (UK) = 27.31 liters

16.23 kilometers per liter
45.9 miles per gallon (UK)

Used http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/liters-to-uk-gallons.htm

G :cool:

Last edited:
I'm lucky to see 230 round town. Motorway driving I've seen 270 :( Bring on the MPI:D

I've got a Sei Mpi (admittedly with a 40mm TB & GSR induction) using only BP Ultimate & regular fresh Castrol Edge since I bought it so should be as clean as pos' & I get pretty much the same figures, but I do have a heavy foot.

I reckon I need a remap but at £200+ am waiting 'til I get a new exhaust & possibly fast road cam first.

Bear in mind that the weather will make a big difference, more fuel when cold, but I tend to put my foot down more in the sun to compensate :-(

Last edited:
Back