General MP3,s The Easy (And Cheap!!) Way for Marea

Currently reading:
General MP3,s The Easy (And Cheap!!) Way for Marea

orange127sport

I’ve been running a 115ELX Weekend for 16months and wondering how to improve the Hi-Fi. The headset is standard Fiat fit that will take a remote CD changer,but mine doesn’t have the CD lead pre-fitted like some do. They cost a small fortune from Fiat (about £30) and the changers which are Grundig are selling at a minimum of £50/£60 on ebay for used ones. Add to that the hassle of finding somewhere for the changer, running the cable, getting the standard headset out to attach the lead to the back and you’ve done the best part of a ton and most of a day sticking it all in. If you stick the changer in the boot and leave the luggage cover back, you can bet your bottom dollar some scumbag will pop your back window and help itself.(n) Well how about this for a bit of intuition….:idea: MP3 for £25 and ten minutes work?? I did it, am well chuffed with the result. Read on…
Get a 512Mb MP3 player(make sure its earphone socket is 3.5mm stereo), should pick one up for less than £25 and they’ll hold 100+ tracks, get a cassette adapter that slots in the tape player of the standard headset tuck the very thin cable between the heater console plastic and the softer foam of the dash, and leave the standard 3.5mm stereo plug near the ashtray. Pop the Mp3 player in the ashtray ( I had to remove the plastic inner tray of the ashtray to get it to close with the player in it.
Result….Tidy , no mess, no visible add-ons for the thiefs to see and the music quality is very good. The tape head on the Grundig headset must be pretty good, cos thro standard Fiat speakers you’ll be hard pressed to tell the difference to CD (y) .
OK, you can pick up decent CD/MP3 players from Halfords during promo offers for about £70 but you still have the gap created by aftermarket stuff to deal with. This way you maintain the originality of the car and get decent music, plenty of it for little money with little effort. I suppose iPods would attach to but they can be bigger and cost a few quid more, mines just a cheap and cheerful solution. Hope its of some use to anybody out there.
PS. Seen a lot of the cassette adapters on ebay for about a fiver, I got mine from Poundland and its fine. I already had an Mp3 player, so the whole thing cost me £1 and 10mins work
:yum:

people have been doing that for years, ever since the discman.,.,
you will be able to get a 1GB mp3 player for next to nothing on ebay.,.,.

I have it - it is easy and cheap, but also loooow quality.

How could I attach an mp3 player audio jack in directly to the audio head unit?

Back