General Moving a car without tax..

Currently reading:
General Moving a car without tax..

Didn't ebay offer you 7 days free insurance? Thats how I got my Blue Panda home (it 5 days tax left). The e-mail the cover note to you. It thro Norwich Union, who also do short term (ie daily for £10 etc) insurance.

I got my white Panda taxed from SORN a month ago, just took the docs to the post office and took seconds.

If its got a computerized MOT you may be able to do it online?

panda-sport said:
Didn't ebay offer you 7 days free insurance? Thats how I got my Blue Panda home (it 5 days tax left). The e-mail the cover note to you. It thro Norwich Union, who also do short term (ie daily for £10 etc) insurance.

I got my white Panda taxed from SORN a month ago, just took the docs to the post office and took seconds.

Jaff_Fox said:
Oh how things always go wrong for me...
I just bought a 4x4 that I was supposed to pick up today however the car has no tax. I was supposed to be using trade(red) plates to move it however the person letting me borrow them has done me over.

The car still has mot for a few days but is sorn.. Does anyone have any suggestions how the heck I can legally move it the 100 miles to my home :/ Can you tax a car that is sorn quickly or does it have some crummy admin process that takes ages?...
Thanks..
:idea:

panda-sport said:

Thats how i got my new panda home. I got the tax with the 7 days free insurance (i am still covered), and then i could drive the car home legally (y)

Now I get it :) Its a shame our convenient, handy post office service doesn't open sundays! Would they not raise an eyebrow and refuse based on the fact the mot has less than a week left? :/

Jaff_Fox said:
The panda is in Southam so its a long way from you Alan :( cover note. how does that work? Like i said the car is perfectly drivable so this is very frustrating. I want this car so much as it will be a wonderful restore project.

Tony, a trailer would be ideal I'm interested in but I have no trailer attachment on my panda.. also some person (the one who's done me over ironically) said it would be illegal to pull a panda on a trailer with a panda it it would be about 3 tonnes total weight..

Gahhh...

God you know some people that don't half talk sh*t, panda is 750kg x2 = 1500kg + trailer prob less than 2 tonnes.

Jaff_Fox said:
Thanks Alan! and everyone.. the crap I have to go through to try and save these little cars :ROFLMAO: :D
It gets pretty bad when you are making yourself jump through hoops...

best of luck sorting out the transportation...

Jaff_Fox said:
Now I get it :) Its a shame our convenient, handy post office service doesn't open sundays! Would they not raise an eyebrow and refuse based on the fact the mot has less than a week left? :/
ah but some do ;) and as long as it has mot that day its fine AFAIK.
you wouldnt MOT your car early just so it had more for the tax renewal

Okay well the plan was quite set to go tax the car tomorrow and drive her home.. But the seller says post office won't accept insurance cover notes that have been emailed, printed/faxed for cars tax nor will they accept an MOT with lass than a month left.
I said i would try calling the DVLA in the morning to try and clear this up..

Does this sound correct?

this should help - http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/howdoi_licence.htm

he seems right about insrance, but it doenst mention anything about mot
What documents will I need to produce?

• V11 or V85/1 (renewal reminder). If you do not have the renewal reminder you will need to produce the Vehicle Registration Document/Certificate (V5 or V5C) or the green New Keepers Supplement (V5/2 or V5C/2). (see 'How do I renew a licence - without a licence reminder').
  • The duty that is payable on the vehicle. Leaflet V149 contains the current rates. If payment for the licence is made by cheque which then bounces, the licence will become invalid and the vehicle will be unlicensed.
  • A valid Certificate of Insurance or cover note (except for invalid carriages weighing 254kg or less) - not a photocopy or fax nor the renewal notice, policy, receipt or schedule. The certificate or cover note must be valid on the date the new licence comes into force. When you use a motor vehicle on the road you must be insured against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle. The insurance must be valid when the licence comes into force and indicate that it covers the use of the vehicle by the licence applicant. If the cover is unclear you may be asked to provide written confirmation. Note: The third party cover included on a comprehensive insurance policy that allows you to drive a vehicle not belonging to you cannot be used as evidence of valid insurance at vehicle licensing.
  • A current MoT test certificate. The certificate must be current on the date the new licence comes into force. The following vehicle types must have a valid MoT test certificate:

Cars, motorcycles, motor caravans and light goods vehicles if they are more than three years old*. The certificate must be current on the date the new licence comes into force.

Passenger-carrying vehicles with more than eight passenger seats, and taxis (not including private-hire cars) more than one year old*.

* The vehicle age is calculated from the date of first registration or from the end of the year of manufacture, if the vehicle was not new when registered

Christopher Watson has just done this with the emailed cover note and MOT.:)

The MOT bit sounds like c... every one who bought a car mid month, moted it and then taxed it every year would have this problem

It sounds like its at the disgretion of the person who serves you at the post office which is bull$^$^t.. Whats the point in an emailed cover note if its useless?
I'll phone my insurance company tomorrow and see what they say i guess

Alan.D said:
There is one ins company that only deals online (can't remember the name though) and you print off your own policy from a pdf file I wonder if any other comp could do that ?

Thats how the ebay/Norwich Union deal works:)

Alan.D said:
There is one ins company that only deals online (can't remember the name though) and you print off your own policy from a pdf file I wonder if any other comp could do that ?
my flatmate got her insurance from insurance 4u or similar.this was where you just download your certificates.then for some reason they sent out printed versions a few days later even though the site says you have ot pay extra for this :confused:

If the Mot is about to run out the tax office won't accept it. (Well that's the way they work overhere and since all the "UK" is suppossed to be the same I assume it's the same for the mainland) I know this from past experiance as Ive tried it in the past. They view it that you are just taxing the car so you can drive it for 6 months/year and not Mot it.
And before anyone says about insurance, it's easier to get away with a car not mot'd than one that is not taxed.

It's only a thought that maybe Alan could put me right on but if you have a cover note and lift the car before the mot runs out, and a friendly Policeman does happen to stop you with no tax is it not possible to explain the situation and ask him/her to take your details and the details of your local police station and promise to re-mot the car and back tax it to the start of July and when done you will go to the station and provide the documents to prove you did this.
Just a thought as I say.

Back