General Moving a car without tax..

Currently reading:
General Moving a car without tax..

Oh how things always go wrong for me...
I just bought a 4x4 that I was supposed to pick up today however the car has no tax. I was supposed to be using trade(red) plates to move it however the person letting me borrow them has done me over.

The car still has mot for a few days but is sorn.. Does anyone have any suggestions how the heck I can legally move it the 100 miles to my home :/ Can you tax a car that is sorn quickly or does it have some crummy admin process that takes ages?...
Thanks..

Yea i know.. but £200 transport costs on a car which is worth £200... hmm... thats crazy.. Especially as its capable of moving under its own steam.. :/

Jaff... legal isn't going to happen ... so take the tax disc out of your own car and stick it in the one you are picking up...

just don't do anything stupid in terms of speed or manuvuers and there should be no problem.

i had to take a risk and drive mine home 40 miles with no tax. make sure you get the time written on the receipt and pray its a nice copper!

Tony M said:
so take the tax disc out of your own car and stick it in the one you are picking up...

ok, first up this has to be about the stupiest piece of advice i've seen given, all it takes is one of many anpr cars or fixed points to be passed, and then a court visit is next, secondly, what if theres a collision? there's no insurance in place, again court, worse what if someone is injured?

quite apart from the fact you are encouraging him to flout and break the law.

if you can't move it legally, don't move it at all, the consequences if anything happens are yours and yours alone, tonyM and his "yeah just do it" attitude will not be there to bail you out.

turboned said:
ok, first up this has to be about the stupiest piece of advice i've seen given, all it takes is one of many anpr cars or fixed points to be passed, and then a court visit is next, secondly, what if theres a collision? there's no insurance in place, again court, worse what if someone is injured?

quite apart from the fact you are encouraging him to flout and break the law.

if you can't move it legally, don't move it at all, the consequences if anything happens are yours and yours alone, tonyM and his "yeah just do it" attitude will not be there to bail you out.

SOUND ADVICE I couldnt agree more, i nearly got caught driving without an MOT as i actually didnt realise it had expired as the car still had tax on it, the moral of the story is dont risk it mate cos if you hurt somebody or yourself then you will be in deep sh*t and like jai says nobody can bail you out then. Quite simply do it legally mate. You cant predict what other drivers are gona do, someone could hit you no matter how careful you are.

:cool: F R O $ T Y

Thanks for your comments everyone.. yes what Tony suggested is of course not legal but he did at the least make a suggestion...

You folks just contradicted him and didn't actually help towards my actual question.. I didn't ask for a debate on rights or wrongs, i have my own disgretion on this and trust it.. I asked how I can get a car I just bought home. As I have now legally entered a contract on ebay.

I will not do anything illegal as my liscense is already in bad shape and I don't want any more points or fines.

The car has mot for about another week just its sorn so I'm asking for suggestions on how to bring her home as I have never done this before.. not a debate..

Thanks

nuovapanda said:
to tax a sorn car you need, MOT, Insurance and the log book, the tear off slip in green will do, you can do it at a post office no hassle.

I read on the dvla site to get a sorn car back on the road takes around 6 weeks? :'(

:) obviously it's illegal and you stand a chance of getting points ... if the car is in your name :)

however the sensible route would be to get it trailered to a place of storage...

Jaff the best made plans of mice and men... often go tits up so always have a back-up plan even if that is 'just waiting' a while.

where's the car now?... maybe the forum members could help you out... hint hint...

there's always trailer rental... i will have to do this for a bike trailer later in the month.. bike trailer is £20 for the day... larger trailers cost more... but you get it for the day.

these are even in your neck of the woods

tetton traliers

Last edited:
The panda is in Southam so its a long way from you Alan :( cover note. how does that work? Like i said the car is perfectly drivable so this is very frustrating. I want this car so much as it will be a wonderful restore project.

Tony, a trailer would be ideal I'm interested in but I have no trailer attachment on my panda.. also some person (the one who's done me over ironically) said it would be illegal to pull a panda on a trailer with a panda it it would be about 3 tonnes total weight..

Gahhh...

i taxed the cinq recently by filling in V10 and taking that along with i think section 10 of V5(new owner bit), insurance cover note and mot certificate to the post office

had to bend/break the rules though, by asking the lad to give me the V5 slip and mot certificate before i actually owned the car, after i got the tax we backdated the V5 so it matched the little slip, luckily the lad is of the forum and i knew him

probably totally wrong thing to do but i needed the tax before i went and picked up the car, i could not go down and hope i could tax it on the day

you need to organise a cover note for insurance ASAP.pay for special delivery if need be
cover note is a short term letter showing proof off cover for things such as tax before the insurer organises the full insurance certificate etc.
.tax it for 6 months(tax terminates the sorn)then cash in the 5 months leftover tax.
cheapest,least hassle & legal way

Last edited:
Back