MOT question

Currently reading:
MOT question

HornetUK

Established member
My Punto is due its MOT at the end of the month, last time they commented that the exhaust output readings were high and near the max allowed. Is it best to run the car for an hour before they MOT it or take it in cold or does it make no difference to the outputs?

Cheers

They only test emissions when the cars fan cuts in or oil reaches a set temperature in order to get a more true reading as from cold the auto choke will give improper readings.

I have assisted with MOT's in the past and with problems like this we would use carb cleaner or fuel additives to clean the engine out to improve and lower readingso the car would pass.

Liam

When i got mine done the mechanic said he couldnt hold a steady fast idle :S. But the normal Idle passed the emissions so he just ignored it :D. And its a perfect excuse to empty your tank put some good petrol in some injector cleaner and go give it a good thrashing Fiat engines are almost designed for it :D :p.

Give it a hard drive on the highway to blow out old dirt. Change oil and filter. Use a thick oil so it fills the gaps and the vents, piston rings etc - so it burns as little oil as possible. Also blow out the air filter or replace it with a new one.

Morten.

Back