Technical [MOT] power steering failing and airbag "obviously" defective

Currently reading:
Technical [MOT] power steering failing and airbag "obviously" defective

unlocated

Hello all,

I have just had an MOT and these two issues have been found:

- "power steering inoperative [2.3.3a]
- "Drivers airbag obviously defective [5.4.1]

I would be interested in hearing whether there's a chance to fix this myself.

The powersteering: the light started to come in occasionally while driving at least 4-5 months ago, just a quick flash. 2 months ago the powersteering stopped working and light went on when on full block. returned to work ok when engine switched on and off. now the steering wheel vibrates and the powersteering stops working. turning on and off the engine fixes it though it is vibrating for a while then after the car "gets warmed up" it stops. though steering in almost full block stops it.

The airbag: the light is on permanently. Not sure where and what to look at and if there's a chance to fix it myself (so that it works, not just simply making the light go off :D ). Any chances anyone had previous experiences?

Thanks!
unlocated

Power steering, "usually" common problem of torque sensor and relay wiring... see here for latter.

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-2b-guides/266588-resoldering-power-steering-motor-relays.html

Warning: do not attempt unless you feel you are competent to do so.

Regarding torque sensor, this can be fixed yourself, but recommend an exchange unit... avoid eBay ones as some of them are faulty.

http://steeringanglesensor.com/

Impossible to know which problem you have with it without testing.

Airbag fault, again fault code read, but usually its the under seat connectors at fault.

disconnect battery, wait 30 minutes, unplug connector, spray with electrical cleaner... then reassemble. Next fold the wire back over the connector then tape into position. 9/10 folding the wire back over the connector and taping into place fixes the problem.

This usually fixes it. Do not cut the wiring or solder it.

Warning: Airbags are dangerous, take appropriate precautions to ensure the system does not accidentally detonate as there is a risk of serious injury... if you feel you aren't competent to mess with airbag wiring then leave it to a professional.

Last edited:
both need their bumpsreading before buying anything or hitting anything
invest in some leads that fiatecuscan recommend via say gendan and do your own reading of the codesand report back

i think it unlikely its wiring under seats as few puntos have the wiring here as seat belts fire by detent rather than electrical pulse RB2009 but nice post:)

Some puntos have side airbags in the seats, I know MK2B sporting does as that's where I saw it.

Had under seat wiring for the side airbag.

But I stand corrected if this isn't mainstream :) but know that underseat wiring is a plague for lots of makes and models of cars and usually folding the wire back on itself and taping it in place is the best fix for that.

On the mk2b it is only the 1.4 sporting eleganza and hgt that have side airbags. But the huge majority of mk2b puntos are the cheapest active and active sport so most of them do not have side airbags and neither do most of the mk2 cars.

Back