2011-09-10_17_38_50_1_.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Molly II - Punto GT3.

Introduction

Well sure many of you know this car or at least saw it for sale.

Purchased from Alex22 at the weekend to add to my collection. She is standard bar aftermarket discs & pads and a baileys dump valve. Even has an original GT exhaust, think its the first one i ever seen lol.

Whats my plans I hear you ask?
1. Fit correct widemouth front bumper (supplied by Alex with the car)
2. Have wheels refurbed, they look ok but quite a bit of kerbing on the rims
3. Fit some spacers, love the standard wheels but they far to far under the arches
4. Clean and tidy up the engine bay
5. Exterior respray in the original colour, paint is good and there is hardly any dents/dinks but the bonnet and roof in particular look a bit tired.
6. Brand new badges, front and rear

Here is some pictures, all off my phone so not great - I will add more pictures to the thread when i have better ones ;)

2011-09-10_17_38_50_1_.jpg

2011-09-10_19_41_34_1_.jpg

2011-09-10_19_42_13_1_.jpg

2011-09-11_18_23_38_1_.jpg

comments welcome.
C.
aye, i getcha ;)

Considering forking out on a proper cover and giving a clean, polish & wax and then tucking her up for the winter - can't see me doing it when i don't need to tbh, not in this weather. Brrrr

I think I have a cover you can have :) It was for my aerodeck but its too small for her, should fit molly fine!

Reading about your GT3, makes me wish I hadn't sold my yellow GT3 this time last year :( ( Knew i'd regret it!! )

Need another one... so I best get saving and looking!!!

Have spotted a plain red S reg one sitting on a drive for the last few months, pretty tidy from what I can see bar a nasty dent in the drives side rear quarter bellow the light and a cracked bumper.

No idea if it's a runner or not, but may have enquire very soon.... dangerous ;)

Well i might not have her much longer is the big news, verbally agreed sale but nothing more than that atm. But funny you should post though as things have happened, nothing exciting mind just general maintenance. Yesterday i pulled her out and changed the waterpump as it had become noisy. Stuck her battery back in and she fired straight up, let it idle for a while and warm up to bleed etc - everything ok, she running fine.

She has just had a wash this morning but not had time to stick any polish or wax or anything on it yet.

Attachments

• DSC08994.JPG
    DSC08994.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 118
  • DSC08990.JPG
    DSC08990.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 110
  • DSC08988.JPG
    DSC08988.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 107
Well done on getting the water pump sorted.

Not an easy job on the GT due to its location.

Now you tell me :rolleyes: lol. I must admit, i took wheel off and the inner arch out, removed some bits of plastic, timing belt cover etc. Then probably spent about 2 hours just looking at it and getting angry, there is not a single easy thing on a GT it seems. Reading on forums everyone was saying have to remove inlet and PAS pump but its all lies, just very awkward to get at and then once the bolts are out there is hardly enough room to get the pump out between the engine and body. I managed though, and i even have all the skin on my knuckles still, so all in a good result.

Looking nice and clean, bit of back to black on those plastic trims and she'll look lovely. Gave mine a blitz yesterday, I really should start a thread.
Its only been snow foamed and then washed and rinsed down in them pics, still need to to polish, wax, clean windows and do all the trim yet ;) Not even started on cleaning the inside either (naughty, should do that first really), not that she is hugely dirty inside.

Last edited:
Yes it can be done, it's all a trade off.

I used to be able to take the inlet off my first GT in half an hour, so I would have done it that way, then once the inlet is off - it is much more straight forward.

If you've never taken the inlet off you probably did it the quicker way!

Everything is a pain in the GT due to a few reasons :

Both inlet/exhaust manifolds enter/exit via the rear of the engine
WaterPump / Alternator and PAS pump all rammed in together due to all being fitted out of the car on assembly then slotted in a tiny space in one go!
Lack of general space due to turbo/half shafts and ancilliaries.

Makes for one PITA!!

yeah, never taken the inlet off. I not even sure how to get at all the bolts to be honest, i'm sure its not complicated but can't see any in the middle due to a bit of what looks like heat sheild, no obvious way to get heat shield off - all looks a total nightmare not knowing how it all goes together!! Its not like working on a FIRE engine at all where i know where everything is and how its bolted on and what does or doesn't need to come off for access to other stuff. Working on cars you don't know well is really not as much fun haha.

No better way to learn than but having a practice in my book.. Whenever I take something apart/off for the first time I take a picture of every single bolt, screw and hit of the hammer so I can use it in reverse as reference if I get stuck..

Plus it's handy if you have spare time to write a tutorial.

Looks beautiful Blu! Would quite happily take it off your hands if I had the space and money!

Back