Technical Mk2 headlamps

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2 headlamps

lanciaman

Established member
I like the idea of the silver lamps on my Mk1. Would set off the black nicely. Anyone got a set for no money? :D

:eek: Just realised what you were thinking of!!! :nutter:

I think silver lights on the Riviera would not be a good idea, I think it was one of the best looking b's and there is not a terrific amount of things that you could do to improve it! (lower it a bit, HID headlights, lip spoiler)..........

do like the look of the badgeless nose on docs pics.........

Ok, got the hint with the Mk2 lamps!!! :yuck:

Then there is this paint job [from barchetta.com]

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 20
I tried to get the headlamps open to paint them silver on my B, but after a lot of frustration found that anymore force would make a real mess and crack something so i have been on the lookout for mk2 headlamps for about 4 months and have not seen a single pair anywhere......:mad:

Last edited:
Its not easy to get them open so I dont think painting your lights is an option. I have never seen a silver light come up on eBay.uk ever! I have seen one on eBay.de but only the one.

You must have had a busy week doc when you missed the one I got off eBay a few months back. Brand spanking, boxed, £50, no other bids.(y)

Now I just need the other side. I was stupid enough to put beam deflectors (actually duck tape) on the lamps when I went to France last year. It's made a right mess.

I tried to get the headlamps open to paint them silver on my B, but after a lot of frustration found that anymore force would make a real mess and crack something so i have been on the lookout for mk2 headlamps for about 4 months and have not seen a single pair anywhere......:mad:

I have seen some wrx guys cooking their front lights in oven to to get them open, might do the trick on b too.. I would'nt try.. :devil: If someone first.. :p

take units off the B , then put some (olive)oil, wd40 -or if going for full effect: brake fluid- on the glued joints and let sit for a day or two, repeat if necessairy.

after that it should be a lot easier to prise open, as most of the glue will be "eaten"... the flipside of the coin is that the foam/seal will most likely be nibbled at also and will most likely not take new glue very well.
so one might need to become "creative" with degreaser and draftstrips

but hey,.. you've asked for a way to open them wihtout breaking anything :)

Last edited:
I will be selling two front lights soon but both are in far to good a condition to try anything like that on.

If anyone has an old front light thats cracked and has seen better days, please donate it so I can experiment to find out whats the best way to get it open.

Once I find a way I will post the steps on the forum and you will get full credit for making this possible by donating the light.

You must have had a busy week doc when you missed the one I got off eBay a few months back. Brand spanking, boxed, £50, no other bids.(y)

Now I just need the other side. I was stupid enough to put beam deflectors (actually duck tape) on the lamps when I went to France last year. It's made a right mess.

I know!! I dont know what I was doing that week but I missed out on that little bargin. You done well MM (y)

Would that not kind of point in the wrong direction? or can the beam adjustment be made somehow?

Back