Technical MK1 Punto, flooding, won't start

Currently reading:
Technical MK1 Punto, flooding, won't start

AAAARGH!!

The bellhousing has got 3 or 4 teeth on it to line the flywheel mark up with!!
Any ideas which one please?

Fortunately from what I can see, if the timing is out its out by approx the same amount using both timing procedures.

Im not so sure the marks are accurate. On my HGT (which is timed at TDC) the flywheel mark was out by at least 1/2 a tooth - I confirmed the piston position while the head was off so no argument. For the timing I used a single dowel to find TDC.

To find the 90 degs before TDC use two EQUAL lengths of dowel about 30cm long. Drop one down cylinder 1 plug hole and one down cylinder 2. Turn the crank clockwise and #2 will be falling and #1 will be rising (you will need a helper). #1 MUST BE RISING.
When the dowels are both at the same height, you have the engine at 90 degrees before top dead centre. You can confirm it with the other timing marks.

Last edited:
Found em!!
Covered in aluminium corrosion, wire brushed it off, there they are, just as you said., above the aperture, with the rubber plug!!

Getting parts today.
Changing the tensioner too for piece of mind.
Looks like whoever did it 25,000 miles ago didnt bother.

WAAHOO!!
Its all back together and working.
Got a SKF timing belt kit. Came with GATES belt and SKF tensioner/bearing.
This kit was the grand sum of £20.00!!! (Airedale motor spares - Castleford)
I had a ring round a few shops first.
A GATES kit was £44.00!!

Also fitted a new water pump - £20.00.

With 2.5ltrs of antifreeze and a small tube of silicone sealer for water pump, it all came to £50.00.

So - at the age of 46!! I've timed up my first cam belt.
Its running sweet.

BIG THANKS to all you guys with all the advice.

WAAHOO!!
Its all back together and working.
Got a SKF timing belt kit. Came with GATES belt and SKF tensioner/bearing.
This kit was the grand sum of £20.00!!! (Airedale motor spares - Castleford)
I had a ring round a few shops first.
A GATES kit was £44.00!!

Also fitted a new water pump - £20.00.

With 2.5ltrs of antifreeze and a small tube of silicone sealer for water pump, it all came to £50.00.

So - at the age of 46!! I've timed up my first cam belt.
Its running sweet.

BIG THANKS to all you guys with all the advice.

Well done! :)

£44 isn't bad to a timing belt kit, i pay £47 for 16v Contitech kits. I've fitted countless SKF kits, and always found them to be very good kits. :)

I usually use Euro Car Parts, that's all they carry in stock. I need to sort out my GSF account, among other, sort out getting stuff cheaper. Euros is just convenient, i know someone there who's reliable and helpful.

Back