General Mirror removal

Currently reading:
General Mirror removal

How easy is it to remove the door mirror (500 Pop)?

Rasputin has been involved in several sheet-metal re-profiling incidents during an interesting life.. and the driver's side mirror seems to have become damaged at some point. It's been "repaired" with epoxy filler and the screws hatch sealed down with silicone sealant... You can't see the bodgery and it "works"... but the whole lash-up is starting to come undone under the stress of the mirror being folded in and out every day. I think it's new mirror time.

It appears to just unbolt (x2) under the hatch.. Is that all (apart from disconnecting the plug etc.)? I don't want to dismantle it too much, for a look, otherwise the "siliconed on" hatch won't go back on.

Ralf S.

Cover on arm needs removing disconnect wiring plug then remove fixing bolts a very easy job unlike some where the inside door card has to be removed for access to the wiring plug

Last edited:
It appears to just unbolt (x2) under the hatch
Yes, the hatch just prises out and all that's needed is a 5mm allen key. You don't even need to unlock the car.

Convenient, but hardly a secure design. I'm surprised more of these don't get nicked.

Note that OEM mirrors don't come with the hatch included - it's a separate part.

If buying on the 'net, I believe LHD & RHD versions are different.

If you need to delve deeper into the construction of the mirror, this thread may be of help.

Last edited:
Ralf, if you get chance can you dismantle
the old mirror and see if the heated mirror wires are there but not used? Always wondered if I can just replace the glass?

Rasputin had that mirror's glass fall out soon after we got it.. so I did have to look into the mirror to work out what kind of replacement I needed.

I didn't see any wiring for heated mirrors (I do have them on my old Stilo and they're quite difficult to miss) so it doesn't look like the Pop (or this one at least) has the wiring present. The other mirror, which looks more unmolested, doesn't demist itself either so I think it just doesn't have heated mirrors. They still move electrically though, and that works okay.

Ralf S.

would have been a simple upgrade I was thinking
Won't be simple if the wiring isn't there. Probably would require some reprogramming also.

That said, you could always DIY an improvised solution by putting in a separate switched, fused live feed - just like adding accessories in the old days. Be careful any added wiring doesn't get caught up in the window winding mechanism.

I don't have heated mirrors on the Panda, and whilst it would certainly be a 'nice to have', a cloth in the glove compartment is a good workaround.

Last edited:
Back