General mileage on a 35 litre tank panda

Currently reading:
General mileage on a 35 litre tank panda

peter0003

Hi All, I wanted to know how many miles I can get with a 35litre tank of my 2009 Panda dynamic 1.2 eco model? It maybe in the manual but it's not easy to understand. Yours Peter0003

Nobody can answer this

Too many variables

I get just over 60mpg (62-64 for years) average (best is over 80mpg on a 200 miles trip and strong tail wing) other half just over half (35ish)

Short winter journeys in a city, rough road, speed humps, heavy rain, hilly,, filling when empty

Vs

Long summer journeys with a strong tail wind, smooth road, flat, filling after using the 30 mile reserve

My wife gets about 40 mpg in an almost brand new 4x4, think it’s about 350 miles on a full tank, she does mainly short journeys ie about 20miles a day back and forward to her work.

Hi All, I wanted to know how many miles I can get with a 35litre tank of my 2009 Panda dynamic 1.2 eco model? It maybe in the manual but it's not easy to understand. Yours Peter0003
Next issue will be.. How much fuel is actually useable 😉

60 mpg = @13 miles per litre

But 60mpg isn't always achievable

So should be @300 miles in normal circumstances🤔

Last edited:
Fill tank up, reset trip computer.

Drive till tank as low as you' feel happy letting it get to.

Fill tank back up.

Take the amount of fuel you added on the second fill up in litres and divide it by 4.54 to get the rough gallons figure.

divide the number of miles done between fill ups by the number of gallons added on the second fill up to get your MPG figure, that's assuming you don't have the function on the car's computer to tell you the MPG

As stated above depending on the sort of driving you do, this figure can vary wildly. someone doing a 10 mile 60mph non stop trip to work every day is likely to get many more miles out of a tank than someone who does at 10 mile drive to work in in a buy city and spends 50% of the journey stationary with the engine running.

Apropos miles per tank, I've never known such a pessimistic 'fill now' message on any car. Not sure if that extends back to the previous gen. too, but it's genuinely unhelpful!

Apropos miles per tank, I've never known such a pessimistic 'fill now' message on any car. Not sure if that extends back to the previous gen. too, but it's genuinely unhelpful!
My golf has a panic attack when the fuel gets low. Initially it will say you have 40 miles left and the light comes on. after another 5 miles it says you only have 30 miles left. Another 2 miles down the road and its down to only 20 miles left and by the time you've covered 20 out of the initial 40 miles it claimed you had left it's now screaming Zero miles left, the light is flashing and an alarm is sounding..... it really does not want to run out of fuel.

I'd agree with Charlie, 300 miles would be what I would expect on a full tank with our 2004 1.2 Dynamic on 155 section tyres.

Much less than 300 I'd start to think something's not right.... unless I've spent a lot of time in traffic.

Say you've used 30 litres of the 35 litre tank before you fill up again
=6.6 UK gallons
=45mpg at 300 miles

I sometimes do a round-trip of 350 miles, mostly motorway, and can just do it on one tank - unless there's a strong headwind :)
I've used maybe 32 litres = 7 gallons = 50mpg
Which is what my brim tests tell me I'm getting.

My golf has a panic attack when the fuel gets low. Initially it will say you have 40 miles left and the light comes on. after another 5 miles it says you only have 30 miles left. Another 2 miles down the road and its down to only 20 miles left and by the time you've covered 20 out of the initial 40 miles it claimed you had left it's now screaming Zero miles left, the light is flashing and an alarm is sounding..... it really does not want to run out of fuel.
Can't remember if you've ever mentioned if the Golf has a direct injection fuel system? If so the warning system is probably doing you a favour as you really don't want the high pressure pump to draw air. I know the fuel filter has a return circuit which, in theory, should prevent this but I'd rather just not risk it. I start looking to fill the Ibiza once the needle gets below about the quarter mark and definitely top up as soon as any warning appears.

Can't remember if you've ever mentioned if the Golf has a direct injection fuel system? If so the warning system is probably doing you a favour as you really don't want the high pressure pump to draw air. I know the fuel filter has a return circuit which, in theory, should prevent this but I'd rather just not risk it. I start looking to fill the Ibiza once the needle gets below about the quarter mark and definitely top up as soon as any warning appears.
Its a 2.0TDI so I assume its just like any other VW TDI and is direct injection.

I can't say I have ever run out of fuel ever in my life
well not on my own cars, maybe when I worked in the trade where they keep a thimble full of fuel in cars but then there was always someone from the office with a can of petrol to get you going again.

Because I am quite rural if I am in a city, then I can have a good 20 - 30 mile trip home with only one fuel station on route that because it's rural can be stupidly expensive at it's worst last year one of them reached £2 a liter. so I try and fill up in town or once I am back home, but If I forget when leaving town the car can get very anxious on the trip back as 40miles left indicated on the tank, drops to about 20 miles of driving before the computer is showing zero miles left.

Its a 2.0TDI so I assume its just like any other VW TDI and is direct injection.

I can't say I have ever run out of fuel ever in my life
well not on my own cars, maybe when I worked in the trade where they keep a thimble full of fuel in cars but then there was always someone from the office with a can of petrol to get you going again.

Because I am quite rural if I am in a city, then I can have a good 20 - 30 mile trip home with only one fuel station on route that because it's rural can be stupidly expensive at it's worst last year one of them reached £2 a liter. so I try and fill up in town or once I am back home, but If I forget when leaving town the car can get very anxious on the trip back as 40miles left indicated on the tank, drops to about 20 miles of driving before the computer is showing zero miles left.
Ah, a diesel! Then it's going to be either a PD (VAG's unique system where each injector has it's own pumping plunger actuated by a separate cam lobe) or CR (common rail, which is a system we're all much more familiar with) depends on how old it is, the CR engines took over where the PDs finished. Personally, give me a PD any day. However, no matter which it's not a petrol so my comments don't apply so directly - get it? directly? ha ha. Good practice though not to run out and let air get into the system - even if many modern diesels will self bleed if you crank them for long enough but I always pity the poor starter motor and battery if you do.

Ah, a diesel! Then it's going to be either a PD (VAG's unique system where each injector has it's own pumping plunger actuated by a separate cam lobe) or CR (common rail, which is a system we're all much more familiar with) depends on how old it is, the CR engines took over where the PDs finished. Personally, give me a PD any day. However, no matter which it's not a petrol so my comments don't apply so directly - get it? directly? ha ha. Good practice though not to run out and let air get into the system - even if many modern diesels will self bleed if you crank them for long enough but I always pity the poor starter motor and battery if you do.
I believe its likely to be a CR. It is the post 2015 150bhp euro6 version, prior to that they were 140hp for the same displacement.

I think the PD engines had long gone from the golf line up by the time I got my car and I don't believe they ever fitted PD engines to the Golf VI cabriolet.

As my brother deals in VW camper vans I have seen the best of both engines. The old PD engines were pretty bomb proof and usually everything else would break before the engine gave up, but they were no where near as refined. I'e I have done 130mph in my golf (legally not in the UK) and despite it being a cabriolet you could still hold a conversation at a normal volume, it is easily as quiet as any petrol of that era, and the roof is made with the same layering system VW used in the Bentley cabriolets, to completely cut down wind noise. Basically the cabriolets are now quieter than tin roofs.

My old audi A3 was great for petrol light, exactly 8 litres left when it came on, tested that a few times.

Fill tank up, reset trip computer.

Drive till tank as low as you' feel happy letting it get to.

Fill tank back up.

Take the amount of fuel you added on the second fill up in litres and divide it by 4.54 to get the rough gallons figure.

divide the number of miles done between fill ups by the number of gallons added on the second fill up to get your MPG figure, that's assuming you don't have the function on the car's computer to tell you the MPG

As stated above depending on the sort of driving you do, this figure can vary wildly. someone doing a 10 mile 60mph non stop trip to work every day is likely to get many more miles out of a tank than someone who does at 10 mile drive to work in in a buy city and spends 50% of the journey stationary with the engine running.
Yes good advice :)

My 1.2 Petrol 'myLife' 2012 169, achieved the following after 2 full tanks of ownership
Mileage 88k

Full Tank to Low (Light on) 331 Miles (49 MPG approx)
Full Tank to Low (Light on) 313 Miles (46.7 MPG approx) 31.65Litres

So I would say around 320 miles is reasonable.

That data is based on very local driving, sometimes quite heavy on the gas ;-)

I guess on a steady run over 50 MPG would be easily achieved.

Back