Technical Maximum Range/Charging

Currently reading:
Technical Maximum Range/Charging

barraclm

We have a new "New Fiat 500". The specifications say that the range is 199 miles and when we picked up the car from the dealer the range said 199. However, ever since then when we we have charged the car, to 100%, the maximum range has been 160-162. We have used the slow 3-pin charger provided, the 7.4kWh chargers at Tesco and a new 7.4kWh charger we have had installed at home, Always the same, the maximum range is 160-162.

How does one get 199?

I am fully aware about WOLTP and all the issues involved in how to drive to achieve the maximum range. What I am querying is being sold a car that is said to be capable of 199 miles, seeing 199 miles on the dash when we bought it and then not seeing 199 again after charging. How would you feel if you bought a car that said that the tyres were 17" and then found out you had actually been sold a car with 16" tyres.

I am fully aware about WOLTP and all the issues involved in how to drive to achieve the maximum range. What I am querying is being sold a car that is said to be capable of 199 miles, seeing 199 miles on the dash when we bought it and then not seeing 199 again after charging. How would you feel if you bought a car that said that the tyres were 17" and then found out you had actually been sold a car with 16" tyres.

Well I’d cap the attitude when talking to people that might help and direct it to your dealer, as I suggest you do now.
I’ve got one too so I can tell you that it is perfectly normal and not anything you can do very much about. If you have the time and energy for a pointless argument with a dealer or Fiat go for it.

From the conversations on here over the last 9 months
160 miles seems 'about right'

There were thoughts of a 'different spec.' On UK models..

But you seeing 199 displayed does pose a few questions..

I will attempt to add a link to some older threads ( I dont own a 500e as the range is too marginal at @150)

Here you go :

I sadly think the small print will say it may vary and give them a rock solid let out. It is however suspicious it said 199 at the time you collected it. Keep notes for the electricgate court cases.... My 90 horsepower Panda Waze is actually an 85 horsepower car in spite of a full set of dociments saying otherwise. I am still VERY P'd off about it even though my dealer produced a set of alloy wheels as recompense. Dishonesty in car sales is clearly the order of the day. What more would you expect of a company that has a used car sheme called spoticar.

The very idea that its possible to predict milage accurately is a joke. The economy testing is still unsatisfactory and flawed too. I would be asking for a written guarantee that as the range has dropped so dramtically that the battery will be replaced entirely if it gets worse. On the other hand I wouldnt worry too much as the range indicator is just an indication and from what I have heard from my dealer when talking about the 500e 160 miles is a reasonably achievable distance with some left. My TA says Range nil when the tank gets low but will do 100 miles more. When the gauge actually has nothing left some 50 miles after hte light comes on it will still do anothr 30 miles and still have.5 to a litre left. Its Italian so you have to literally throw salt over your should blowm the horn and ignore it!

I am awaiting my dieselgate payout from Fiat and I hope its substantial and the bill hurts them a lot. Personally I dont really care about the money and intend to give it to charity. But I dont like being treated as an idiot and robbed. If they continue to treat customers in their cavalier manner soon they wont have any customers at all.

The range on EVs is too prominently emphasised on the dashboard and is somehow expected to be gospel truth. Range in any vehicle is a guess based on historical usage, current usage and, particularly with EVs, ambient temperatures. Battery percentage is a more valid indicator of range in the same way a fuel gauge is in a combustion powered car. However, just for the sheer hell of it, I'll share this recent
20220723_113011.jpg
photo of my car.

Thanks @gazz_bee

As i know nothing of that dash..I homed in on the message..

Took me a while to spot the 206 mile range 🛐

( I need 230.. so no EV for me yet)
The car is in sherpa mode which ekes out a few more miles, hence the 206 number. It does show why the range figure is called a guessometer as I absolutely didn't get 206 miles on that tank of sparks. I appreciate everyone's usage doesn't suit the change but the 500e is still one of the best EVs I've driven and the sales are starting to back that up.

Most EV's are capable of showing how many KWh you use per 100 Km (or miles). Do the math if you know how many KWh can be stored in your battery.
EV's use less in town than on the highway (speed) ICE cars are the opposit. Remember all energy to heat or cool the cabin has to come out of your range, so preheat or cool while still on the charger. Drivingstyle matters a lot. EV's hardly decellerate when you take your foot off the accellerator. Teach yourself to do that very early. Do not brake so hard so the car needs it's actual brakes instead of regenerating. Completely charging to 100% leaves no room to store regenerated electricity and will wear out your battery sooner. Oh and regularly check your tirepressures.

gr J

Most EV's are capable of showing how many KWh you use per 100 Km (or miles). Do the math if you know how many KWh can be stored in your battery.
EV's use less in town than on the highway (speed) ICE cars are the opposit. Remember all energy to heat or cool the cabin has to come out of your range, so preheat or cool while still on the charger. Drivingstyle matters a lot. EV's hardly decellerate when you take your foot off the accellerator. Teach yourself to do that very early. Do not brake so hard so the car needs it's actual brakes instead of regenerating. Completely charging to 100% leaves no room to store regenerated electricity and will wear out your battery sooner. Oh and regularly check your tirepressures.

gr J
Some comments on your response. What you need to know to do the maths is the usable battery capacity and not the declared battery capacity. From memory the 500e has a 43kWh battery with 37kWh useable. This allows for headroom management so that the battery never depletes to 0% nor does it ever fully reach 100%, neither state being good for battery longevity. So 100% indicated isn't 100% full.

I agree on a driving style that minimises acceleration and braking losses but your advice on using off throttle retardation needs to be tempered. If driving in a one pedal mode, going fully off throttle is virtually an emergency stop.

Back