Technical Marea estate boot door wont open - lock is jammed.

Currently reading:
Technical Marea estate boot door wont open - lock is jammed.

bigbaldy

Marea JTD 1.9 51 plate

The boot door of my marea estate will not open. It's door handle is stuck in the up position and I cannot get it freed up. Normally you push it up and the door opens. It seems that the internal mechansim has jammed or is stuck. The central locking is not impacted and appears to work OK? but I cannot get into the internal workings of it to see whats gone wrong.

I tried spraying WD40 into the key hole to free things up but this did not work.

Also, when I put the key into the lock and try turning it, it gets stuck about half way round. All the other doors are OK.

Can anyone give me some tips!

try squirting the WD40 on the handle itself. That freed mine up for about 3 months then had to do the same again. Try and aim it at the pivot points and pull the handle back down with your key or a screwdriver maybe even your finger nail. you should be able to work it a couple of times and it'll free itself.
I know some people have resorted to drilling a couple of holes in the handle and fitting a cable tie through so you can pull the handle back down.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Mine did this, I used lots of penetrating oil on the handle hinges. I already had grease over all the boot lock mechanisms. A smart rap with the heel of yuor hand near the catches may do the trick if you have not kept them greased and they have stuck, same goes for the small downward opening flap.

Mine did the same, went stiff and unreliable for a bit then jammed. If you take the inside cover off it's easy to open from inside, and a couple of hours taking the whole lot apart, cleaning the gunge out and putting it all back together - with plenty of lube - made it good as new again for a while.

Now sometimes the central locking doesn't open the boot, but the key works fine.

mine done the same thing, all i done was took it all apart and free it all up with plenty of wd40 when i put it all back together i greased it all and its been good as new since took a couple of hours but well worth it

Hi

I had the same problem with my boot, I crawled into the boot, took the casing off the back checked it all out (got my hand stuck) and sorted it out. Took ages to do. Since then I find if it sticks, you pull the handle down manually and lock and unlock the car the central locking brings the catch down and it is fine until I forget again and try to open the boot when the car is locked, takes no time at all then and no boot crawling.

Hope this helps.

Claire

Hi

Since then I find if it sticks, you pull the handle down manually and lock and unlock the car the central locking brings the catch down and it is fine until I forget again and try to open the boot when the car is locked, takes no time at all then and no boot crawling.

Hope this helps.

Claire

Same thing just happened to us on a trip to France at the weekend.... made the mistake of trying to open the boot with it locked, and the handle jammed up - key would not work, and central locking did not release it. In the end, managed to get fingernails behind the handle and pull it down - locked then unlocked the car with the remote, and it is fine now. got a bit freaked out though, as all our luggage was in the back, so we'd have had to of squeezed it out through the rear doors!

That sinking feeling knowing you can't get it open. This feeling has only been equalled by the realisation that although I got my head through the railings now it won't come out.

Tell you the story one day

Claire

Mine did the same, so I drilled a small hole in the plastic flap and then screwed in a small metal hook. Now I have something to pull the flap down with when it sticks. :)

this is an incredibly common problem. I spent a couple of hours taking the panelling off the boot only to find there's a rear wiper mechanism preventing access to the required bits...

for a while I had a handle screwed in to the middle of the boot handle, which we used to pull the handle out every time it was stuck... it got so bad in the end that the handle ripped out, leaving a hole just big enough to get a thin screwdriver in, that yes, every sinlge time we open the boot we have to wedge the handle out again with a screwdriver.

And if someone forgets and tries to open the boot while its locked... ARGH!

Back