General Many high milage twinairs out there?

Currently reading:
General Many high milage twinairs out there?

benga

I've been wondering what is considered high milage on a Twinair. Our 2014 500 Lounge Twinair is about to cross 92,000 and when I checking on Autotrader there were only 9 Twinairs for sale with higher milage. I can't decide if the rest have died before hitting 90k, or everyone loves them so much they don't want to sell, whatever the milage 😆 (or most likely, autotrader isn't the best place to sell cars over 90k)

Anyone here got over 100,000 yet? Half of me wants to change it for something sportier, and half wants to keep it and see how far it goes!

My doughters friend had one which was in excess of 150,000 and still going and looking good when she replaced it. The engine failed, but due to a mechanic leaving a rag in the engine! Mine is a baby at 14K last one also under-used was at 17K when I traded it. We had the Pandemic and my kidney to thank for the lack of use. My two cars only 18 months apart have been as different as chalk and cheese. so if buying a second hand one, try several. I find the car goes so well it doesnt get thrashed hard. Driven fast does not necessarily tax this engine to much and as a small car.
Only AL D on here is likely to have done it harm. He likes to use all the revs and power most of the time!! Al D are you still out there?

Ours has just clocked 95000. We bought it with 78000ish on it and the supplying garage fitted a new turbo at that time.

It's a 2011 car which we've had for just over 5 years and now does a max of 4000miles a year, but the oil and filter get changed every year.

It came to us with a good history and engine wise it's good.

It's had rear shocks, front arms, clutch slave cylinder, drivers door handle and tailgate wiring attended to which are pretty standard for any 500...

Specific T/A issue was the coolant header tank.

Other things have been a heater blower motor and rear wiper motor, but this could apply to any car...

That's what's concerns me, so far we've not had to change any of those so I keep expecting a load of bills very soon. I may well be over thinking it, but I'm wondering if we should change before those bills land.

Ours hasn't been problem free. We've have had a couple of clutch/dmf over those 92k, plus a new binnacle/display, airbag sensor/unit under the drivers seat and 6 months ago we had new front wishbones.

I remembered ours had to have a new clutch late 2018 at 83500 miles.

The bearing let go destroying the release fork and for and for some reason it took a while to get that part at the time...

That's what's concerns me, so far we've not had to change any of those so I keep expecting a load of bills very soon. I may well be over thinking it, but I'm wondering if we should change before those bills land.

Ours hasn't been problem free. We've have had a couple of clutch/dmf over those 92k, plus a new binnacle/display, airbag sensor/unit under the drivers seat and 6 months ago we had new front wishbones.

Binnacle..a 500 thing

Wishbones.. age related.. rubber collapses with age . Use doesnt help
My panda went BAD at @6 years

Clutches.. Ive only ever fitted clutches in tecent purchases.. DMF is obviously a different mode of failure.

My higher miles TA is an owned from new Punto.

In 68,000 its needed 6 tyres and 1 DRL bulb :cool:

Brakes and Battery were bolted on in 2012 :)

Its a 6 speed..and it is far better in service than the pandas 5 speed..

Another common TA fault reported on here are damaged hoses..

Maybe 'attacking' speed humps accelerates all 'Suspension wear'.and those flexing motors stress the hoses..??

Back