Technical Making new remote keys

Currently reading:
Technical Making new remote keys

kourampies

I have a Fiat 500 and a Lancia Delta, both have the same style of flip key with 3 buttons, and a spare without buttons.

This seems to be the most popular type of fiat key, with plastic shells with blank blade selling for under 5 euros on AliExpress, and complete plastic with pcb and blank blade for 15.

So I thought about making a spare remote key since I don't really like the non remote key.

I could easily clone the blade, but what about the electronics? I own multiecuscan, and I know how to register multiple keys, but I've only done this with factory keys until now. Does the same process works for any new key, or do new keys need to be programmed with some other software/hardware in order to match the car they will be registered to?

I appreciate this is a public forum but there is nothing here that should compromise anyones security.
Totally up to you if you wish to try this, personally I would be very dubious.You MUST have the secret code to start.

The secret code is the vehicles Body Computer PIN code which in the EU (excluding UK) would have been supplied on a "Code Card". If you do not have that code then you will have to request your Fiat/Alfa dealer to get that code for you for which they will most probably charge you.

This procedure allows the programming of keys/transponders in the Body Computer. The keys/transponders have to be pre-programmed with body computer's secret codes in order to be recognized by the vehicle. Follow the instructions on screen and make sure you have ALL keys (up to 8) before starting the procedure.
WARNING: DO NOT RUN this procedure if you don't know what you are doing as this procedure may permanently disable your keys! Make sure YOU HAVE ALL KEYS as you will have to program ALL of them into the Body Computer.
WARNING: You will also need to enter the electronic key code of your vehicle in order to execute this function. You can find this code on your vehicle's CODE CARD. Please be careful and note that the Body Computer will block itself for 30 minutes after an incorrect code is entered 3 times.
NOTE: You may run this procedure in simulation mode to see how it works. Basically, you have to do the following:
1. Start the procedure
2. The system will ask you to insert KEY 1 and click Y. After that the system will confirm if the recognition of the key is successfull.
3. The system will ask you to insert KEY 2. So, you have to remove KEY 1 and insert KEY 2. This procedure can be repeated for up to 8 keys.
4. The system will finally store all recognized keys into the body computer and will display a status of the whole procedure. You will still have a chance to abort the procedure before step 4 and restore the key data. However, after step 4 the new keys will be stored permanently and ANY existing keys that are not inserted/recognized during the procedure will be PERMANENTLY disabled in the body computer and it will not be possible to use them anymore.
ALSO NOTE: The vehicle will probably display immobilizer/key errors on the dashboard during the procedure! This is normal!
After the procedure:
1. Remove all keys, disconnect the OBD cable and wait 60 seconds
2. Take one key and start the engine with it
3. Turn off the engine and remove key
4. Close all doors and test the remote control (if this is an RF key).
Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for all keys!

Cheap key blades sold on AliExpress, eBay, Amazon etc. are usually made of steel. Original Fiat blades are made of brass. Locksmiths in the UK will not cut steel blades because the the harder metal can ruin their cutter tools. It may be different in Greece.

This seems to be the most popular type of fiat key, with plastic shells with blank blade selling for under 5 euros on AliExpress, and complete plastic with pcb and blank blade for 15.
Key comes blank and is useless until it’s been preprogrammed

Going rate is £150+ It’s only a few minutes to program but the equipment is a few grand. You might be able to find someone to do it off the books (cash in hand)

Or you can buy the key direct from Fiat expensive

MultiECUscan and other scanner software will only work with keys that are preprogrammed and is straightforward as long as you have all the keys and follow the instructions

A decent auto locksmiths will not need the CODE as they can read it direct from the body computer

Whichever route you take a remote isn’t cheap.

A clone key to open and start the car is trivial and cheap though

I appreciate this is a public forum but there is nothing here that should compromise anyones security.
Totally up to you if you wish to try this, personally I would be very dubious.You MUST have the secret code to start.

The secret code is the vehicles Body Computer PIN code which in the EU (excluding UK) would have been supplied on a "Code Card". If you do not have that code then you will have to request your Fiat/Alfa dealer to get that code for you for which they will most probably charge you.

This procedure allows the programming of keys/transponders in the Body Computer. The keys/transponders have to be pre-programmed with body computer's secret codes in order to be recognized by the vehicle. Follow the instructions on screen and make sure you have ALL keys (up to 8) before starting the procedure.
WARNING: DO NOT RUN this procedure if you don't know what you are doing as this procedure may permanently disable your keys! Make sure YOU HAVE ALL KEYS as you will have to program ALL of them into the Body Computer.
WARNING: You will also need to enter the electronic key code of your vehicle in order to execute this function. You can find this code on your vehicle's CODE CARD. Please be careful and note that the Body Computer will block itself for 30 minutes after an incorrect code is entered 3 times.
NOTE: You may run this procedure in simulation mode to see how it works. Basically, you have to do the following:
1. Start the procedure
2. The system will ask you to insert KEY 1 and click Y. After that the system will confirm if the recognition of the key is successfull.
3. The system will ask you to insert KEY 2. So, you have to remove KEY 1 and insert KEY 2. This procedure can be repeated for up to 8 keys.
4. The system will finally store all recognized keys into the body computer and will display a status of the whole procedure. You will still have a chance to abort the procedure before step 4 and restore the key data. However, after step 4 the new keys will be stored permanently and ANY existing keys that are not inserted/recognized during the procedure will be PERMANENTLY disabled in the body computer and it will not be possible to use them anymore.
ALSO NOTE: The vehicle will probably display immobilizer/key errors on the dashboard during the procedure! This is normal!
After the procedure:
1. Remove all keys, disconnect the OBD cable and wait 60 seconds
2. Take one key and start the engine with it
3. Turn off the engine and remove key
4. Close all doors and test the remote control (if this is an RF key).
Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for all keys!
I know of this procedure and have previously done it with factory keys. I have the code cards for both cars, you always get them for free with the car in Greece. But I don't know if thats enough with a new key. It isn't exactly clear on MultiECUscan help
Key comes blank and is useless until it’s been preprogrammed

Going rate is £150+ It’s only a few minutes to program but the equipment is a few grand. You might be able to find someone to do it off the books (cash in hand)

Or you can buy the key direct from Fiat expensive

MultiECUscan and other scanner software will only work with keys that are preprogrammed and is straightforward as long as you have all the keys and follow the instructions

A decent auto locksmiths will not need the CODE as they can read it direct from the body computer

Whichever route you take a remote isn’t cheap.

A clone key to open and start the car is trivial and cheap though
So what exactly gets programmed on the key and with what? Looking at the key PCB I don't see anything programmable.

I know of this procedure and have previously done it with factory keys. I have the code cards for both cars, you always get them for free with the car in Greece. But I don't know if thats enough with a new key. It isn't exactly clear on MultiECUscan help

So what exactly gets programmed on the key and with what? Looking at the key PCB I don't see anything programmable.
Your not going to get anywhere without the correct equipment

Here’s one possibly

If you look at the subtitles it tell you the chips

Both the transponder code and the rolling remote code both have to be programmed on to the key before the key can be added to the body equipment

The equipment used in the video is a cheap China copy of a £4000 machine but is still over £1000

I have bought a brand new key for my daughters car and reprogrammed it with MES, also did the Bravo with 3 keys. MES does the job and its a simple procedure. Must be as I have done it. I have also tried to buy a key blank from Italy and had problems getting what was paid for so I gave up on that one and suspect the cheap key fobs on eBay are a con. Eventually got a refund from Paypal. Fobs from Fiat are not cheap but do work. Programming keys is a 5 minute job. My local locksmith has obtained and cut new blades but they were £25 each. Bravo key fobs have different chips so you need the correct key fob / chip to start with. I see no reason a second hand key fob would not be programmable if you can get the right one. MES was quick to say the key chip was not correct for the car before programming started.

I see no reason a second hand key fob would not be programmable
The information programmed into the key is unique and some has to match the information already stored in the body computers

To use a secondhand key to use with another vehicle you need to unsolder a chip and replace with a blank and the preprogram it as per video above

To add a key that’s is already preprogrammed to the body computer is a travel task

The easiest way is to buy a preprogram key from Fiat

Or

Get a auto locksmith to preprogram one for you

Neither is cheap here in the UK

Cheap China keys are blank and useless unless you have a way to or the equipment to preprogram them

I got a remote key supplied and coded a couple of weeks ago by car key king's cost me £120 took the guy about 30 minutes excellent quick service

Back