General Main dealer so called service BE EXTRA CAREFUL

Currently reading:
General Main dealer so called service BE EXTRA CAREFUL

My Air conditioning is now blowing cold, I took the car into Glyn Hopkins hoping they would correct the air con under my extended warranty NO! I left the car with them for the morning & when I collected it they presented me with a bill for £168 for doing a health check on the car (didn’t Ask for). Did they do the job I asked ? NO! “Sorry your AIR CON is not under our warranty”. 40 miles & 3 weeks prior to letting them have my car I took it to my non Fiat garage for an M.O.T it passed with no problems & no advisory’s also a report on brakes & pads which were fine, however Glyn Hopkins in Milton Keynes said I need new disks, new pads, a new air con condenser, new timing tensioners all this they wanted £3000 The brakes they said needed immediate attention, they had the service history with the car that clearly shows everything is up to date & in good order. Not surprising I told them to get lost. I then took the car to G.P Auto’s in Milton Keynes they re-gassed the air con & also added a leak stop fluid as they said the gas leak was just a tiny pin prick of a hole it should do the job with no problem Total bill £128 yes £128. It’s now blowing cold clean air, so the moral is BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT MAIN DEALERS TELL YOU! Two weeks later & still blowing nice cold air.

Last edited:
I hope you did not pay the £168 for work you did not authorise?
If you did and you paid by card contact your card provider and ask for a charge back.

They say “always read the small print”, when I left the car with them they gave me a form to sign, I didn't read it as I just thought they were just going to check the air con. The receptionist was the most condescending unhelpful person I have ever come across. You live & learn (at a cost)

If you asked an employee at the dealer what the form said and they said it's just a form saying you want us to look at a.c. then you can't be bound by the small print only by what the employee told you it was for.

So you could still be able to ask payment card provider to charge back.

They say “always read the small print”, when I left the car with them they gave me a form to sign, I didn't read it as I just thought they were just going to check the air con. The receptionist was the most condescending unhelpful person I have ever come across. You live & learn (at a cost)
Thankyou for warning us. Another dealer chain I will never use again. I am local to them and have considered purchasing from them before. Following your experience I shall not visit again, pretty easy as I am thinking of changing my small fleet ot a less disreputable maker.

Are you sure what they're doing is legal in the UK? It's very misleading at least.

Little bit of an update of my bad experience from Glyn Hopkins Milton Keynes, They are no longer listed on Fiat lists of registered dealers in MILTON KEYNES, although they are still servicing them. My review is only applicable to Glyn Hopkins Fiat in Milton Keynes not any of their other branches.

Last edited:
An MOT wouldn't look at air con or the timing belt (curious to know how they decided that).

Brakes would be a concern, and MOT will warn even if the pads are lor or discs excessively worn. Have you checked the condition of the brakes.

I'd also be surprised if anywhere would have an extended warranty that covers the air con. Almost all common faults will be wear and tear or customer damage.

We bought an XC70 3 or so years ago. Volvo Dealers offer a foc full condition check so I took it to the (MK-based by coincidence) dealer.

They diagnosed £2500 of work needed...

...£2500 more than the comparatively new car had cost us, that is :ROFLMAO:

An MOT wouldn't look at air con or the timing belt (curious to know how they decided that).

Brakes would be a concern, and MOT will warn even if the pads are lor or discs excessively worn. Have you checked the condition of the brakes.

I'd also be surprised if anywhere would have an extended warranty that covers the air con. Almost all common faults will be wear and tear or customer damage.
I agree with you re the timing belt & tensioners however when I left the car with them I gave them the service book which clearly states the belt & tesioners were changed 800 miles & six months ago. Re the brakes I have since taken the car to another garage they confirmed all the brakes are in good order with slight wear only on the pads and disks. I was informed by the garage I purchased the car (Abarth Dealer) the air con is part of the warrantee unless a stone had gone into to condenser. From what I can see is a main dealer interpretation is to make the car into the state the car would be the day it rolls off the track at Fiats manufacturing point, ignoring the fact it has only done 24000 miles & there would obviously be SOME wear & tear.

Our last juke had the air con gas leak out at two and a half years. Nissan's repsonse was the recommended aircon service interval is to re-top it up every two years, therefor not covered.

Our last juke had the air con gas leak out at two and a half years. Nissan's repsonse was the recommended aircon service interval is to re-top it up every two years, therefor not covered.
Hi, the Abarth garage where the car came from said “before they sell a car they do a FULL service & check the air con”. I bought the car in NOVEMBER 2022. They have confirmed it was all good & checked, unfortunately they are over 100 miles away from me thats why I went to what i thought was a main Fiat dealer in Milton Keynes

Back