General M&S tyres for Panda Cross?

Currently reading:
General M&S tyres for Panda Cross?

Not posted here for a long long time. On my 4th 4x4 and had this Cross for over 5 years now. Wife's car and I 'borrow' it for shooting in winter in Devon. [I used to swap the Goodyear Vector over with Malatesta Polaris but just can't get them here any longer as not exporting from Italy. Can anyone suggest a good alternative please? Thanks Ross

Goodyear’s latest Vector (which is, as I’m sure you know, mud and snow rated but also has the better ‘3 peak and mountain snowflake’ symbol meaning it is certified for winter use in Alpine regions) is a very well regarded winter tyre with all season performance… in recent tests, outperforming some cheaper ‘winter-only’ tyres. On that basis I’d keep the Vectors on all year round, personally. My 4x4 is on Michelin Cross Climate 2s all year - a similar tyre since Goodyear and Michelin are aiming at the same part of the all-season tyre market. With good grip on anything, it seems, the Michelins last for 30,000 miles or more as long as you don’t drive like you’re on the Nurburgring

I put new tires on my panda's front axle last week, keeping the GoodYear Vector 4 Seasons now on the 3rd generation. The tires replaced had almost 50,000 kilometers done and still had a tread in the middle of the tire, they were the Gen 2.
Next set (rear axle) will be the same.
We have a saying that goes: In a winning team, no changes are made. 👍

For normal road tyres, I like these but my local tyre place has stopped stocking the brand and have started with Maxxis

Vredestein SnowTrac​

I prefer them over both the Goodyears that I had on 2019 cross and the continentals off my older cross

We use Vredestein Quatrac tyres on our Trekking replacing the original Continentals, they have the M+S logo but are an all season tyre. Been quite impressed how they perform especially in the wet.

Hard to say yet, had them on for 2-3 months only so far, but they went on early enough to see a little bit of snow and quite a lot of ice and all good.

How do they wear in terms of miles?
My snowtrac ones were so good in the wet that I left them on over spring, summer and autumn, the original plan being to swap out for the continentals that came with the car.
I resisted and swapped the continentals for more aggressive M&S for better offroad performance…the car has been with the daughter for two years and, after I’d had it for three years on the continentals, that means the vreddies’ have lasted six years. One has been replaced because of being slashed and the two on the front will need doing soonish, wear on outsides of tread.
Mileage wise is kind of subjective as they’ve had a harder life offroad than on but about 45k-60k

So we fitted the Quatracs in November 2020 and they have done 13,500 miles, the tread depth all round is 6mm. I tend to swap front to back etc annually so they get even ish wear.
Thats pretty good. Ive done 3 winters in the Michelins and they have dropped to 7mm so this in about 7000 miles. COntinetal summers are down to 5mm after about the same 7K. They definitely improve fuel consumption though.

Thats pretty good. Ive done 3 winters in the Michelins and they have dropped to 7mm so this in about 7000 miles. COntinetal summers are down to 5mm after about the same 7K. They definitely improve fuel consumption though.
My CrossClimates (which 'only' have 7mm of tread to start with when new) are at 5.5mm after over 16,000 miles...

Back to the original post though, having now looked them up i see the the Polaris tyres the OP mentioned have a much more 'aggressive' tread than many of the winter or all seasons being discussed here. Given the first post referred to shooting on Dartmoor, I suspect the issue is needing a tread to cope with soft mud and off road rather than winter weather...
1682868806298.png

Last edited:
Back