Technical Lug nut wont screw in help

Currently reading:
Technical Lug nut wont screw in help

ianal09

Saving up for parts :(
NEED SOME HELP, Bought the alloys with some new lug nut as well but a bit longer probably 2-3mm difference, so after putting all of them on the car tried to run the car to have a bit of enjoyment but apparently every time i go reverse and in 1st gear the car is just moving but won't allow me to move about a metre or so :( and figured out that the new lug nut are far to long and touches something inside the brake thigy :bang:, so I've decided to return the old lug nuts in to the alloys (the ones that came off from the stock alloys) everything was falling into the right place except two things, one of the lug nut on both each side of the front wheel won't let one of my lug nut to screw in and every time i try to put it in, when it came off the end of the lug nut screw is a bit messed up well the thread is stripped. and I'm currently running the car with 3 stud on each front wheels. all of them were fine except one hole on each front roter, what do i need to do? :cry:

Do your wheels have the correct pitch circle diameter for the gp? I believe it uses the Vauxhall/opel standard rather than that found on other fiats. If the pcd is not correct you will need 'wobble bolts' to fit the new wheels.

Given that you managed to install the longer bolts you may have the correct pcd. Assuming you only striped the thread from the bolt and not out of the hub I'd get some new bolts in the correct length ordered and cut down the long bolts in the short term. Be sure to chamfer the cut end of the thread or you may damage the thread in the hub. Also, when installing the bolts, do not fully tighten any of them until after the last bolt is in, this will allow a tiny bit of movement which maybe what is needed to get that last bolt to take.

If the thread has been striped from the hubs then I'm afraid your going to need to replace the hubs, it isn't the sort of thing I'd be comfortable trying to repair the thread on.

Finally, don't ever force anything, if a bolt doesn't want to take them something isn't right.

I had to cut down wheels nuts once as they were clicking in the break drums when I had my old punto sporting, was ok once cut, sounds like a similar problem!
:)

The wheels on the car doesn't have the same size of the centre bore of the wheel, so i bought some spigot rings for it to fit in and it did, but ill try to sort out something tomorrow morning and would do everything that was suggested here in this thread. and would hoping nothing serious :) Thanks guys

just to clarify, the pitch circle diameter is a different parameter to the centre bore size. It defines the spacing of the bolt holes hence if it is wrong (but close to the correct value) you can have trouble getting the bolts in.

Got these sorted today then, a guy from a garage fix it using some term "coiling" if anyone knows that, can't really remember if thats the word he used on how he fix it cost me 30 freaking quid like. not happy about that 30 but at least got new pair of shoes for my GP :)

Otherwise known as a helicoil, it means he bored the hole in hub out to a larger diameter, cut a new larger thread and then screwed in an 'adapter' or 'helicoil' into which the wheel bolt threads. Sounds like you simply crossed the thread. In future put the first few threads in by hand only.

Back