General low oil

Currently reading:
General low oil

gregjo1948

Will a 2016 Fiat 500x 2.4L shut itself down if there is low oil level or low oil pressure? I've heard that it will shut down under these conditions to protect itself from engine failure. thanks, gregjo1948

Will a 2016 Fiat 500x 2.4L shut itself down if there is low oil level or low oil pressure? I've heard that it will shut down under these conditions to protect itself from engine failure. thanks, gregjo1948
Exceedingly unlikely.
Making a vehicle engine programmed to shut down unexpectedly would leave the manufacture open to multi million $ law suits.

If it has a dipstick use it regularly.

I thought there might be a warning light come on but not to actually shut down. I have read that this engine is prone to excessive oil consumption. With around 40K on it, I need to add a quart at about 3K. I run synthetic oil and change oil and filter at 5K. thanks for your reply, gregjo1948

No, imagine if it decided the engine was low on oil when you were in lane 3 or 4 of the motorway doing 70mph and it shut down....
It has an oil warning light but don't rely on that,it may be too late if it comes on, check the oil level with the dipstick or with the computer on the dash (if applicable) frequently.

In reading horror stories about 2.4 L engines, people have had shut down experiences without prior warning.

According to 500X Tech Info (KeyLearn) the vehicle has:

1) Oil Pressure Switch and Light on dashboard
2) Oil Pressure Warning Message on dashboard display (concluded from reading K030 below
3) Oil Temperature Sensor - UniAir module oil temperature sensor

334 - 500X 1.4 Turbo MultiAir MINIMUM ENGINE OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT NOT WORKING K030
334 - 500X 1.4 Turbo MultiAir Oil pressure switch (Signal incorrect after event) P0520-00

Unfortunately pressure does not have a lot to do with capacity and if capacity is low then pressure goes low that implies there is none, so is really a 'too late' light. Until you get to know average consumption for your vehicle, check the dip stick daily, only takes a few seconds if you are on level ground.

Back