Technical Low Oil Pressure

Currently reading:
Technical Low Oil Pressure

The fact it only happens when going around right hand corners sounds more like oil starvation. I'd expect main bearing/big end wear to show up on the straight and left hand corners too

Abarth seems difficult to view dip stick level so are you SURE you're not simply low on oil because that would usually be the reason

I agree, but he seemed very confident that the oil level was fine. I used to get it on left corners with my Uno when a bit low on oil. It is basically a pressure drop though, and is not a very good sign.

Yes, if the oil level is fine (and for santa's sake don't over fill it "just to make sure") then low oil pressure warning could be alarming

Next thing would be to check the oil pressure directly using a mechanical gauge

Abarth seems prone to excessive crankshaft end float wear but i believe that drops oil pressure and dumps oil into the clutch housing

Last edited:
I just checked the oil again. Now it can be me being completely stupid but I find it impossible to check the oil. I clean the dipstick and dip it, then when I inspect it the Min-Max is completly clean, it looks like it has not touched the oil. However, about 2 cm above the max is dirty, it has oil on it.

How the hell can I tell if it has the right amount of oil??

I'm just tempted to take it to the garage for an oil change and pay rather than just not know.

I clean the dipstick and dip it, then when I inspect it the Min-Max is completly clean, it looks like it has not touched the oil. However, about 2 cm above the max is dirty, it has oil on it.

You are propably 2-3 liters short on oil man. There is usually 1 liter from min to max.

yikes!

I'm just terrified of over filling.

And where the hell is all m oil going? I think I spend more on oil than i do on fuel at the moment!!

Drain the oil to see how much really comes out. I'd guess about 2 liters. I really don't know the capacity of the Abarth engine.

Here's what I'd do.

1. Go to FIAT and get a nice OEM oil filter for the Abarth engine. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap aftermarket one, due to a filter return valve.

Buy 5 litres of 10W-40 semi-synthetic (someone will be telling you to go fully synthetic ofcourse) oil. This is slightly thicker than synthetic, but you might have some wear around valves and pistons that burn oil.

Drain oil.

Remove the oil filter. This is in an awkward position. I remember I sent an oil filter wrench from Norway over to Yellow Peril for this purpose...

Refit filter and refill oil. Check your Stilo booklet to see how much oil should go in.

I'd agree you're almost certainly VERY low on oil. (very common mistake made with Abarths.)

You MUST see oil on the bottom of the dipstick (check both sides too)

I just put 1.5 L in the car. The oil I got was 57 swiss francs for 2L, here in switzerland that turns out at about £40. Just normal Castrol 5W 30.

Now, excuse me whilst I cry in the corner. I have now spent over £100 in 6 weeks on oil.

I just put 1.5 L in the car. The oil I got was 57 swiss francs for 2L, here in switzerland that turns out at about £40. Just normal Castrol 5W 30.

Now, excuse me whilst I cry in the corner. I have now spent over £100 in 6 weeks on oil.

That's what I use on 2 years...

Any blueish smoke from the exhaust?

If filling just the sump it is 4.5L with sump and filter it's 4.7L

My abarth only takes a 1lt to go from the bottom of the dipstick to the top
It can be hard to read and even harder with fresh oil but you will notice the diffrence when the oil does reach as it is no longer just a smear on one side ,but all covering all round and a slight drip

2L and counting, I have 0.5L left now and still nothing on the dipstick...I'm just putting oil in 0.5 intervals so as to not overfill, but still nothing showing....

Perhaps he's not that flush with money at this time of year :p

What's the betting, it will take 3 litres in total :chin: :eek:

Could reuse the contaminated oil to save for christmas presents. :p

See your bet and throw in 3.5 litres. Has it poured into the clutch housing perhaps? The lucky winner will get a christmas card.

Last edited:
Hi, I just returned becuase I'm beginning to get the same message again on my dash "Low oil pressure".

For your information I had to put 3 litres in before I could see. Since then I have put another 3 litres in and now I got the same message again today. Another 1 litre needed today.

So, I have shares in Castrol now, I'm not completely wasting all my money!

The car has just hit 100,000km this week, on average it needs 1 litre every 2000km. Is this normal?

i feel you mate !

my stilo has the EXACT same problem, only right turns. if you leave it longer it can do it when changing lanes and even braking. VERY annoying !

im in the process of replacing the oil just as you are. just have to save money, i'll re-post soon and let you know how it goes (y)

I posted in another thread above, but I am certain this is related to all the other problems I have in the car, I will feedback any information I have from the mechanic once he has taken a look....

My Low Oil Pressure light was coming on last year, almost always when i was going around right hand bends! Apparently there was a problem with the oil pressure switch. Had this changed and the problem went away. However, 8-10 months later it's coming on again. Checked the oil level and that's fine. Let's face it guys, the electrical system on the Stilo is absolute ****e!!! :bang:

Thankfully mine only seems to give me BEEP BEEP BEEP when i stall it, so not very often ;)

Was abit worried when it first did it however, over 100 miles from home!

Isn't 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles meant to be the 'reasonable' amount? I think that's what i've read.

Mine (JTD) hasn't used a drop in over 12,000 miles, but the Abarth is a completely different engine so i guess it's more realistic to expect some oil use on it. Whether the amounts mentioned in this thread are reasonable or not, i'm not sure i'm afraid.

Back