Technical Low Oil Pressure

Currently reading:
Technical Low Oil Pressure

pjp

Twice today I had the 'Low Oil Pressure - Stop - Engine' message come up immediately after starting the car. The odd things was I had no oil pressure light, and it displayed the message once and cleared.

I'm wondering if the oil pressure was momentarily low when it first started. Being very hot I'm guessing the aircon compressor would have kicked in immediately, maybe putting extra load on the engine, and slightly lowering revs as it first kicked in. Oil levels fine, and no other signs of a problem.

Anyone else seen this ?

Paul

Stilo Abarth 3dr, Broom Yellow (Nov '03)

I've had the same problem some time ago. Everytime I had the car started i've got the message apearing on display.

After the last 60.000 km service it disapeared. I believe they made some update to the main unit so it doesn't beep under certain circustances. Either that, or some part was loose.

Try to go to your dealer describing the situation.

Stupid question but have you checked the oil level?

Mine did that until I topped it up. It came back again a few days later but since it's service last week it's been fine. I guess the oil was much lower than I thought.

1.6 3dr Dynamic in Azzuro Sprint. Standard apart from mats, sill kick plates and rear spoiler.

I've done 6000 miles in my 1.8 Dynamic and I've already had to stick 2 litres of oil in it [:0]

Apparently, stilo engine's burn a little oil. Had an inspection under the bonnet and under the car by my AA mate and there's no sign of any leaks so it must be true. Quite strange though, 2 litres in like 6000 miles[:0]
And yep, the light came on with me too.....wonder why:D

Stilo Dynamic 1.8 16v (Metalic Black, side skirts, rear spoiler and 17" wheels)

Originally posted by MrF1
I've done 6000 miles in my 1.8 Dynamic and I've already had to stick 2 litres of oil in it [:0]

Apparently, stilo engine's burn a little oil. Had an inspection under the bonnet and under the car by my AA mate and there's no sign of any leaks so it must be true. Quite strange though, 2 litres in like 6000 miles[:0]
And yep, the light came on with me too.....wonder why:D

Stilo Dynamic 1.8 16v (Metalic Black, side skirts, rear spoiler and 17" wheels)

My Stilo 1.8 was able to burn sometimes 1 litre of oil on 1000 km - on highways and the maximum speed ;)

[image]http://autokacik.pl/files/272355874-top_stilo.jpg[/image]
Abarth, SkyWindow, Alloys 17", Side Skirts, 8 Air Bags, Xenon Lights, Memory&Heated Seats

I get the same warning message when I start my car for the first time. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took the car in for it's first service a couple of weeks ago. They said it was a software issue which is currently being investigated by Fiat, i.e. don't hold your breath waiting for a fix. [:(!]

My dealer told me this problem was a software problem, and where going to replace the instrument cluster but it didn't work on another Stilo they did it to, so they left it until they get more info. from Fiat technical. Mine was doing it last summer but stopped during the winter and has now started again. Could have something to do with the temperature.

2002 1.6 Dynamic 5dr Steel grey 5disc CD.

Mine certainly only seems to do it when the cabin is hot, so hopefully its just a glitch - certainly there seems to be no indication of any serious problems (yet). My oil is actually overfilled at the moment - looked like it was low so I topped it up - the oil is so damn clean I can't see it on the dipstick !

Paul

I would be tempted to drain some off if it's overfilled. Too much oil is as bad as too little.

Guys, see my post called 'oil sensor failure / engine disaster'. Based on what I've just experienced I would go in and ask for your oil sensor to be over-ridden and your vehicle be given a safety check.

pjp said:
Twice today I had the 'Low Oil Pressure - Stop - Engine' message come up immediately after starting the car. The odd things was I had no oil pressure light, and it displayed the message once and cleared.

I'm wondering if the oil pressure was momentarily low when it first started. Being very hot I'm guessing the aircon compressor would have kicked in immediately, maybe putting extra load on the engine, and slightly lowering revs as it first kicked in. Oil levels fine, and no other signs of a problem.

Anyone else seen this ?

Paul

Hi,

Its happened to me a few times, I put it down to it not being on a completley flat surface, I hope that is all it is

Hi all, I realise this is a very old post but its all I could find.

The problem I have is that every time I go around a right corner I get the low oil pressure warning. Now I know my car has enough oil because I'm paranoid and I check it every couple of days.

Is this a sensor problem or do you think I have something more sinister wrong??

I have a 3dr stilo abarth 2002

The problem I have is that every time I go around a right corner I get the low oil pressure warning. Now I know my car has enough oil because I'm paranoid and I check it every couple of days.

Then your big end bearings might be due to a change. This is a wear and tear item that fits inside the piston rod (each 5), connected to the crank shaft. When these get slack, the pressure drops. Can you hear some light rattling aswell? This is my experience with the Ritmo Abarth Twin Cam engine, which seem to be much the same layout (except a cylinder and some vents...) as the Stilo Abarth engine.

Thanks Morty but I dont think this is the problem because it only happens when I turn right.If it happened all the time then I would be more inclined to think you are right.Any other ideas??

The fact it only happens when going around right hand corners sounds more like oil starvation. I'd expect main bearing/big end wear to show up on the straight and left hand corners too

Abarth seems difficult to view dip stick level so are you SURE you're not simply low on oil because that would usually be the reason

The fact it only happens when going around right hand corners sounds more like oil starvation. I'd expect main bearing/big end wear to show up on the straight and left hand corners too

Abarth seems difficult to view dip stick level so are you SURE you're not simply low on oil because that would usually be the reason
I'll double check but you are right..it is difficult to checkI have used 2 litres of oil in the car now in about 6 weeks....it is definately NOT overfilled though..

Back