London to sidney rally-help needed

Currently reading:
London to sidney rally-help needed

Have visited the Glasgow Transport Museum a couple of times and was well impressed. I thought they had a good go at covering almost everything (except air travel) but with an obvious Scottish bent. It used to be next to the Kelvin Halls if I remember rightly. It's very difficult to cover everything in one building so you can't really blame them for concentrating on shipbuilding. Down here we've got a large museum devoted to buses which is very comprehensive and the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester is well
worth a visit if you're down this way.

The current building is the Kelvin Hall and does have a good range, although squeezed in. The new building has less space apparently. I have had to take my exhibit out and its now in the Grampian Transport Museum.

Cheers

PD

Thanks for all the info, by the way if anyone is interested i am still looking for a teammate (and a car).

Regards

NumanR's brother

You could do a lot worse than one of these

Tis a Peugeot 504
504.JPG

Has tonnes of suspension travel. Please note wonky trim also
picture6.jpg

picture7.jpg

beefy suspension
picture5.jpg

mmm look at my beefy crossmember
picture3.jpg

They have a nice big open engine bay, very little electrics, a very simple engine (pushrod engine with carburettor though you can get ones with injection). They also handle very well on gravel, have great traction and are a comfy car to drive on rough roads. No need to strengthen the shell as they were rallied in North Africa and East Africa in the 70's pretty much in showroom spec except for the engine and some suspension modifications obviously. Tonnes of them have done the London to Sydney in the past and they're very competitive cars as they give very little trouble and do so well on the rough stuff. If not a 504 then an old Volvo.
Seem to remember the 504 used to do well on the old East African Safari rally.
Having said they don't have a lot of electronics, didn't they used to have Kugelfischer fuel injection?

Seem to remember the 504 used to do well on the old East African Safari rally.
Having said they don't have a lot of electronics, didn't they used to have Kugelfischer fuel injection?

You can get kugelfischer injection but mine was a carby model. It had dual solex's which were crap so my dads friend put a Weber on and it was much better.

Yeah no electronics to go wrong as far as I can remember. Good old mechanical injection (y)

Back