General Leaking coolant

Currently reading:
General Leaking coolant

KevinD

Hi just found forum whilst searching for information on leaking coolant from my Uly.
Its a S registered 2.0 EL, which was parked up for 2 weeks over Xmas & NY, she started OK and ran fine on short trip to shops on Tuesday evening, on Wednesday morning found wet patch under car, checked coolant and added around 2 lt, thought might have a split hose so started up and ran for a while without pressure cap, no obviouse signs of leak. Put pressure cap back on and again ran for a time, temp did not quite reach normal operating temp., still no sign of leak whilst idling or immediately after turning off. Left standing till last night and found a new wet patch under car. Have not yet checked how much coolant missing yet.

Any suggestions as I really do NOT want to take to a dealership.

Just a daft idea, but are you sure it is coolant? not condensation from the a/c unit?

Does ur cap have an overflow? The caps are known to go causing coolant to be drawn through and hence emptying the tank!

Ross

Fairly sure coolant as the rest of drive is dry apart from this small area, which has a slippery feel. I have also just had to add another litre to fill reservoir up

The drain from the a/c unit results in water forming a small pool under the front of the car. If it is coolant it would normally have that "boiled up" smell, and would be discoloured. You could try collecting it to have a good look.

Often, if the coolent level is low and you top it up, you can usually get more water in after you have run it, as any air bleeds out, so keep checking.

If you ran the engine as you said, and there was no obvious leak, it doesnt sound like a major problem. The only thing I could suggest is to let it tick over until the radiator fan cuts in, then shut off and listen for any hiss.

Back