Technical KriTip's 1.2 16V Sei Project

Currently reading:
Technical KriTip's 1.2 16V Sei Project

it was 550 with out vat so 646 with vat
speak to emma she has one in her sei 100bhp see how much she paid
or group buy on Emerald ecu's get them a bit cheaper?

The stimulator allows you to load and modify maps off the car:) You sad puppy :)

You mean simulator, not stimulator!

simulator - a machine that simulates an environment for the purpose of training or research
flight simulator, trainer - simulator consisting of a machine on the ground that simulates the conditions of flying a plane

stimulator - one who stimulates.
O perpetual discoverer of the antipodes, torch of the world, eye of heaven, sweet stimulator of the water-coolers
Don Quixote by Cervantes, Miguel

Didn't want to put a damper on your exhaust after id read you were going for powerflow, but i feel you'll only have problems. The grade of stainless they use is not what the make it out to be, their welding is usally mild steel on stainless via MIG, producing alot of unecessary turbulence on the inside of the exhaust. Only thing i can say thats positive is that you've managed to tell them exactly what you want, and it does look the part. They usally sound awesome too

Jordan

you wouldnt life time garentee a poor inconel weld ie no inconel wire used mild too stainless is so hard too weld ie the stainless will melt before the mild making welds look very bad but stainless over mild steel is a better option as the weld temps are a lot lower again you cant garentee the weld .. the turbulance you might be talking about is stainless coking this is where the stainless melts with out a sheilding gass ( it will be on the outside though the gas that is ) you couldnt justifie purging a car exhaust it would take the prices sky high

HI All.

I just wanted to say that having built a 1108 mpi high boost turbo cinq with megasquirt and EDIS system and getting it running and driving about 7 months ago(it has been sold now) that I used the standard crank sensor from a cinq and it is a VR type. I had to weld a 30-1 trigger wheel onto the standard crank wheel because the ECU I had did not support 60-2. I am in the process of getting another M'squirt for my latest 1368cc(stilo engine) high boost 6 speed cinq so I will be joining the megasquirt clan again soon!! I did a lot of research on megasquirt and its wiring so I know quite a bit so if anyone needs some info quick PM me and I will get back to you asap.

Hope you are all well..

Rich.

HI All.

I just wanted to say that having built a 1108 mpi high boost turbo cinq with megasquirt and EDIS system and getting it running and driving about 7 months ago(it has been sold now) that I used the standard crank sensor from a cinq and it is a VR type. I had to weld a 30-1 trigger wheel onto the standard crank wheel because the ECU I had did not support 60-2. I am in the process of getting another M'squirt for my latest 1368cc(stilo engine) high boost 6 speed cinq so I will be joining the megasquirt clan again soon!! I did a lot of research on megasquirt and its wiring so I know quite a bit so if anyone needs some info quick PM me and I will get back to you asap.

Hope you are all well..

Rich.

Be able to pick your brains then (y)

Connected my megasquirt up today, all functioned as it should and I managed to get it idling for a while, so it appears that the loom elsewhere in this thread works. :D Long way to go yet, but, not as far as I've come with this, i Hope:)

Glad to hear its runnign dave (y) you'll be on the road in no time :)

Now, I said I'd upload a video of it running, so here it is:

LINK

Its nothing special, just coming off a roundabout up a slip road onto the M1. You get to hear the engine, and then road noise lol. Still worth a look though.

At some point I'll pull over where its nice and quet so I can upload a video of the exhaust note stationary, but this will do for now :)

Cheers,

Kristian

you wouldnt life time garentee a poor inconel weld ie no inconel wire used mild too stainless is so hard too weld ie the stainless will melt before the mild making welds look very bad but stainless over mild steel is a better option as the weld temps are a lot lower again you cant garentee the weld .. the turbulance you might be talking about is stainless coking this is where the stainless melts with out a sheilding gass ( it will be on the outside though the gas that is ) you couldnt justifie purging a car exhaust it would take the prices sky high

They do guarantee it for life, and it is mild steel wire they use, i've had lots of problems with poor-flow exhausts for years, and they're all MIG welded. I know their prices aren't that bad all in, but the bulk of exhausts they do, they really are making a killing considering a trained person round here can do it in 3-4 hours, The stainless they use is bought in mass bulk quantity, as are the boxes/tips, so i would say they could easily justify St/St TIG welds and throw this stigma they seem to ignore because they still get decent business off some people who just expect them to be good.

The turbulence i'm talking about is within the exhaust left from the MIG welds blobbing up on the inside, as they naturally do (im putting it into context that other people can read ) Whereas TIG doesn't leave this as its much more controlled. Ask RSfabrications if you don't believe me, but i have enough experience and learning from mistakes means i know whats what in whats best for an exhaust and what their skimping on, no offence of course as you also seem to know what your talking about (not sure many other would know what Inconel is though :p )

Jordan

Hell no, it's not a case of that Kristian, its just annoying that they seem to run along the same lines at every depot they have, but as long as they sort it out (you got some very good advise on that other topic off 1985Uno to put into practice) then im sure you'll be fine, it just annoys me when people/companies can't accept blame or rather, even just the possiblity of blame :mad:

Like i said, i looks the nuts too, dead subtle but some dcent also, they usually all do as they have such a good customiseable range too. Harp on at them tomorrow and repeat those first few lines from 1985Uno's post - very swarve lol!

Jordan

They do guarantee it for life, and it is mild steel wire they use, i've had lots of problems with poor-flow exhausts for years, and they're all MIG welded. I know their prices aren't that bad all in, but the bulk of exhausts they do, they really are making a killing considering a trained person round here can do it in 3-4 hours, The stainless they use is bought in mass bulk quantity, as are the boxes/tips, so i would say they could easily justify St/St TIG welds and throw this stigma they seem to ignore because they still get decent business off some people who just expect them to be good.

The turbulence i'm talking about is within the exhaust left from the MIG welds blobbing up on the inside, as they naturally do (im putting it into context that other people can read ) Whereas TIG doesn't leave this as its much more controlled. Ask RSfabrications if you don't believe me, but i have enough experience and learning from mistakes means i know whats what in whats best for an exhaust and what their skimping on, no offence of course as you also seem to know what your talking about (not sure many other would know what Inconel is though :p )

Jordan

no offence taken or meant lol

the stainless boxes pipe are 304 grade stainless but the wire used is 308 ( 304 is too brittle too too form into wire and is dam expencive ) thats why the welds are different colours too the pipe and boxes and also they wouldnt wire brush the welds after welding ... the bobblie bits inside the welds are oxidisation ... due too mig being force fed wire feeds and not manual ( as in tig ) it pushes hard on the weld pool causeing the wire to pop through the weld now and again you will still get oxidisation even with tig due too the oxygen rich enviroment on the inside of the tube ask any stainless welder and they will say it needs purging (filling the entire exhaust system with 99.9% pure argon too remove the oxygen/ oxidisation from the weld area but this costs more ) mild steel has a higher melting point than stainless so would efectivly cut the stainless due too the wire being much hotter than required for an efective weld the biggest thing with custom exhausts is the lack of experiance of the "welder" ... i once bought a full system for my fiesta from a very reputable dealer and took it too work and re welded the whole system

as for experiance i weld for a large engineering firm on power stations petro chems so its slightly higher standards than for exhausts

Fast_fiat, Everything you've said is correct, only commenting on poor workmanship, that could be rectified by a little more effort. Small consistent welds using Tig does produce oxidisation inside exhausts, but not as bad as Mig, for the obvious reason that as you say, its forced into the weld pool. Again, most of the powerflow exhausts (99.9 % of the countless i've seen) have back-boxes that fall off, pipes that split, from poor Mig welds that have rusted through, but form that horrible turbulence. If it made viable sense, the exhausts would be heated and sleeved, or again if viable, single pieces striaght to the bach-box if it suited, but of course both these methods are expensive, and too bespoke to use.

Any further luck with it Kristian?

I've given up with it to be honest...the exhaust and the fitters that is.

It was knocking the other day so i got under to address it. It was knocking on the bumper, so i had a look at the rear mount, and it was held on by my old rubber, a cable tie, and to top it off, a car tyre valve stuck through the rubber, to stop it slipping off the hook they put on the pipe :bang: Really shoddy if you ask me!

I also noticed the flange to the manifold is not stainless and is a bit rusty..possibly chopped off another old exhaust.

All the times i have been over and complained, have really worn me down and i just feel like saying f**k it...live with it, and try and sort out the knocking and mounts myself :(

The last time it was in, they cut away some of the bumper with what looks like a soldering iron or similar, melting parts away.

It was supposed to be one of the things that made it what it is...the engine..exhaust setup...and the wheels.....now i just get embarrassed as it looks a mess.

It is only leaking at the manifold now as far as i can see, and although he offered to weld it, i can't get it over there and not sure i trust them and so unsure what to do now :( Try and get it welded elsewhere at ££ or try and get it replaced as it was blowing from new.

On another topic entirely....the wheels should be on by tomorrow hopefully, I getting wobbly nuts from a local wheel place....I may need 3mm spacers on the rear that my dealer says aren't available any more, but i may just take a hammer to the trailing arm instead lol.

I also have an LC-1 WB lambda and controller sitting at home, am getting after market management, and am looking at a new TB or getting mine rebored :D

Also I have larger calipers to fit to the front, and am going to do a rear disc conversion. The fact my shoes are sticking every so often at the moment has persuaded me it makes sense lol

Oh, and finally, rear tints.....but unsure what type to go for?

Kristian

Last edited:
Keep going dude, it's great to see what you've achieved!

As for the exhaust, it sounds a real shocker. If it's that bad, I would be tempted to ask for them to put it back to how it was and ask for a refund. Also look for compensation for the damage to the bumper... although you would probably have problems trying to proof they did it. They sound like absoluete d**ks! I know what you mean by trying to comlpain about it... but think about how much money you spent on it! See it as getting that money back for a bit of hassle! If they don't, then I would look into taking them to small claims. Might not need to, but use free advice from Trading Standards and CAB.
You've come along way with your car... have you thought about doing the exhaust yourself?

...and hurry up and fit those wheels and put some pics up! :D

Cheers 4RL, I haven't given up as a whole...and with your words am now considering chasing it up again....I may have a word with the powerflow franchise and see what they think of the "handywork".

I know what you mean about the wheels....I picked up the wobbly nuts today, and bar possibly needing 3mm spacers on the rear, its good to go.

I had to go out for a meal tonight though and am out tomorrow, so its thursday at the earliest!!! They keep calling me in my sleep lol.

Kristian

Back