Technical Knocking noise when turning

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking noise when turning

Hey guys,

Got a knocking noise when turning left. Replaced top mounts which solved the issue when turning right, it's only when turning left. Any suggestions? 57 Tjet 102k.

What else could it be besides top mount and springs?

Nick

Might be an issue with your CV joint,
Could also be in the suspension. Anti roll bar, control arm or worn bushes maybe?

Hey guys,

Got a knocking noise when turning left. Replaced top mounts which solved the issue when turning right, it's only when turning left. Any suggestions? 57 Tjet 102k.

What else could it be besides top mount and springs?

Nick

Is it one knock or repeditive knocking? One knock is likely to be mounts, roll bar, ball joints etc, repeditive is likely to be CV joint. Chnging the mounts may have disturbed the exact geometry and affected the knock.

Robert G8RPI.

Is it one knock or repeditive knocking? One knock is likely to be mounts, roll bar, ball joints etc, repeditive is likely to be CV joint. Chnging the mounts may have disturbed the exact geometry and affected the knock.

Robert G8RPI.
Continuous knocking which differs depending on speed. Faster the speed the closer the knocks.. I'd à CV join expensive ?

Yeah that sounds like a CV joint to me.
They aren't too costly. Most I've seen are around 50 quid, some cheaper ones on ebay if you trust that.

Could be either, you may need to try and see which one it is. Unless you do both at the same time which could be wise. If one has gone the other may go at some point. Just have a look at the CVs. See if the rubber boot on either is broken, see if either are leaking anything.
Just because it's when you're turning left doesn't mean it's the left one.

I'd say an hour or So, maybe longer if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Does it clunk when not moving and turning the steering wheel right-left about 1/4-1/2 turn???

Does it clunk when not moving and turning the steering wheel right-left about 1/4-1/2 turn???

Joining this thread as same noise.

Got a continuous knock when going around any corner/roundabout with an offside camber - faster with speed.

Same for when stationary and turning the wheel I get both sides knocking.

Not done anything yet as after some advice first! :eek:

No clunking when still, which makes me thing it's not the top mounts like before. My driver's side CV boot keeps slipping off a little, so I think it might be that. If not I might give stuff a wobble and see what's loose lol

Get the car up (front wheels OFF the ground) and check there ain't ANY play in the CV joints ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Back