Technical KN Air Filters (aftermarket) improve MPG?

Currently reading:
Technical KN Air Filters (aftermarket) improve MPG?

LeoAchaicus

Found a forum post by a certain user who claims to have seen an 8 MPG improvement after installing a US-made aftermarket air filter.

I cannot post the URL since I am a new user, but this post may be found in thread "36Mpg On a Good Run? what the?".

You can use the search function to find it. It is post #4 in the thread made by "MadMan0".

This sounds a bit fishy. Thoughts?

Hi,
I would not expect a 8 MPG (20%) consumption improvement with a K&N filter. Arguable that they provide any improvement. There are also possible issues with using them on modern cars that have MAF sensors. The oil from the filter can comtaminate the sensor.
I have used K&Ns but only on off-road vehicles (duasty conditions) and classics (hard to get / expensive originals). Never noticed any real performance or MPG improvements over paper. Also compring a K&N to a used (blocked) paper filter is not the same as comparing it to a new paper filter.

Robert G8RPI.

Very very unlikely to see any noticeable difference in mpg.

People make claims like this to justify spending £40 on a filter that they could have replaced for £5.

If you did see an 8mpg improvement (which you won't), you've got to cover a hell of a lot of miles to get back anywhere near the extra cost of the K&N

Back