General Just not enough speed

Currently reading:
General Just not enough speed

corky

Mk2 Punto Sporting 1.2
Bought a 1.2 punto few weeks back and i find it............... slow (n) i had 1.1 55s and that was nippy 100mph no problem (in time) but ive recently put some alloys on and to be honest the car struggles to get to 90 mph dont know if its me being a softy or what but any thing i could check ? also how would i stop juddering when reaching 70+ mph ive had new alloys on been balanced etc is it spigot rings i need?

If you've put non-standard alloys on without the right centre bore and without spigot rings you shouldn't even be driving the car!
When you were putting the wheels on, did they hold tight onto the hub before you'd put the bolts in? If not you definitely need spigot rings!
Other than that, if they've been balanced get the tracking checked. If they are a lot bigger than standard you could well have knocked the gearing and your speedo out. I noticed you mentioned in another thread that you checked it at 20mph but it'll get more and more out the faster you go, you could well be doing 90-100 (on private roads of course!) but the speedo will still be geared for a smaller radius wheel.

Bought a 1.2 punto few weeks back and i find it............... slow (n) i had 1.1 55s and that was nippy 100mph no problem (in time) but ive recently put some alloys on and to be honest the car struggles to get to 90 mph dont know if its me being a softy or what but any thing i could check ? also how would i stop juddering when reaching 70+ mph ive had new alloys on been balanced etc is it spigot rings i need?

I also experience this... but thought it was just normal haha

Because a speedo will always over-read by default, unless someone puts stupidly big wheels on their car :p. Was probably only doing about 92-95mph based on how far out mine gets at that end of the scale

I understand this,but my 55 will get to about between 85-90 on a perfect flat,and i have 15" wheels?

Edit-Thats with it semi stripped and with the mCkrich chip!

Last edited:
If you've put non-standard alloys on without the right centre bore and without spigot rings you shouldn't even be driving the car!
When you were putting the wheels on, did they hold tight onto the hub before you'd put the bolts in? If not you definitely need spigot rings!
Other than that, if they've been balanced get the tracking checked. If they are a lot bigger than standard you could well have knocked the gearing and your speedo out. I noticed you mentioned in another thread that you checked it at 20mph but it'll get more and more out the faster you go, you could well be doing 90-100 (on private roads of course!) but the speedo will still be geared for a smaller radius wheel.

i do need spigot rings thats what im saying but i dont know which ones to get? i have a set at home i think i am going to try them but i only have 3 :/ do halfords sell them ?

Back