General Just bought the 500!

Currently reading:
General Just bought the 500!

beany_bot

Stuff Your Own Title
You might remember I posted a while ago about mpg figures. Well we finally found the 500 we want. Got it from a dealer. 11plate, 10k. looks spotless inside and out, drives perfect, one lady owner. Was on at £8275 got them down to £7750 Pretty happy at that. Oh its a 1.2 lounge (white).

P.S. Ive already started shopping for winter tyres and found these
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m95b0s162...Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_C_NoiseClass:_1_Noise:_68dB

Any thoughts on those from 500 owners? (im just going to put them onto the alloys rather than buy more wheels).

What kind of width are people plumping for on the 500?

Many thanks all, will post some picks up when we collect.

Good tyres, I'd seriously get some steel wheels and use the smaller (cheaper) winter tyres, which'll grip better too.

Unless you have nowhere to store the second set of wheels, of course!

I know but then 6 months of the year your cutting around on steel wheels. The missus wont have that! :p

Good tyres, I'd seriously get some steel wheels and use the smaller (cheaper) winter tyres, which'll grip better too.

Unless you have nowhere to store the second set of wheels, of course!

Agree with bgunn. I went down the 4 seasons route and while they perform amazingly well in winter, they do get a bit 'squirmy' in summer. I wish I had bought steel wheels (or cheap alloys) and gone with dedicated winter tyres. It's the cheaper and best option in the long term.

Its 6 months here (mid october -mid april) thats when, on average, most of our driving is done sub 7 degrees. (Morning commute etc).

Do you know where I can get affordable steel wheels and wheel trims then? Even then, im not sure it makes sense driving round on steel wheels for say even 5 months after having plumped for the lounge with alloy wheels.

Its 6 months here (mid october -mid april) thats when, on average, most of our driving is done sub 7 degrees. (Morning commute etc).

Do you know where I can get affordable steel wheels and wheel trims then? Even then, im not sure it makes sense driving round on steel wheels for say even 5 months after having plumped for the lounge with alloy wheels.

mytyres.co.uk

3% cash back through cashback websites iirc.

Personally I'd be going for Continental's over Vredestein's, the Vredestein's are a great tyre, but the Conti's are better.

Personally I'd much rather drive around on steelies in the winter, you can drive up kerbs with them, they're not going to buckle as easily when you hit a pothole etc etc.

I've been running steelies with winter tyres for the last 4 winters and I wouldn't dream of not doing it.

Even then, im not sure it makes sense driving round on steel wheels for say even 5 months after having plumped for the lounge with alloy wheels.

Tee hee. First thing I did was to put my lounge on steel wheels for the ride & economy benefits.

IMO the lounge is worth the premium for the Aircon, glass roof, B&M & heated mirrors.

Several of us on here have bought winter tyres on steel wheels from mytyres, and they come balanced and ready to go. Works out very cheap. Then you could just get trims off ebay. You have 3-4 months to pick up a set if you start looking now.

I wonder if you can get white wall winter tires because this looks sweet!

attachment.php

The "naked" steelie look works quite well in my view. RUI went as far as to paint all his bolts, wheel weights and bits and bobs black and it looked pretty good. Hopefully he will see this and repost a pic.

Back