Technical JTD making a noise after turning off

Currently reading:
Technical JTD making a noise after turning off

Well, I tried...
unbolted the top of the washer bottle and tipped it back, disconnected the connector plug, got the cover half off... so I could see the motor. But there's no way on this planet that I could get anywhere near it to take it out, or even see the connectors!

No. It did it when I got to work, but not after just turning the engine on and off at lunchtime..
Leads me to think it might be something to do with the aircon/ventilation, as it doesn't seem to happen until the car has warmed up enough for the climate control to start working.

Well a good idea would be to test if the beam pattern moves with the adjustment switch. If it does, then it can't be the motors in the headlamps.

I'm sorry I'm a little late, but here's some pictures of the headlamp. You know what you need to do now, but I am posing them for future reference.

If you can't get to it and want to stop the noise, I think it's fair to cut the wires leading to it since it doesn't work anyway. :p

Picture 033.jpgPicture 039.jpg

You guys are so helpful...

Can't be the compressor, I don;t have it turned on that often

The beam adjusters work fine, I can see them going up and down whilst rdriving down an unlit road.

The sound to me sounds like something closing or shutting or spinning down.

It did it tonight after the car had been running for five minutes.

I will try removing the fuse that does the adjuster moter and right headlamp one lunchtime and are if it still makes the noise

Try to think about the frequency of the problem and start making connections.

1. If the actual headlights were at fault, you should be able to reproduce the sound without turning on the engine, by moving the key to the position where they turn on. You can also go and put your ear next to the headlamp in an effort to hear a buzzing sound - like the movement of a small motor inside. In any case, I doubt it is that, as the sound is too loud.

2. If you have automatic climate control, switch off the compressor; if it doesn't work, switch off the fan as well.

3. I suspect it is the main fan, nothing could really buzz that hard. or spin at such a high RPM to cause the noise.

In the summer time when it's really hot, I hear it a similar noise but the sound is nice and clean. Yours is buzzing all over the place.

OK...
Just been out again, bonnet open - car running for about 1 min, then turned off... noise is NOT coming from headlights - it sounds like its coming from down below the battery somewhere. It's not the fan- that's stationary, never started up.

[ame="http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/stevemelrose/?action=view&current=VID00008-20120214-1246.mp4"]VID00008-20120214-1246.mp4 video by stevemelrose - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid1053.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/stevemelrose/VID00008-20120214-1246.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid1053@@AMEPARAM@@1053@@AMEPARAM@@s478/stevemelrose/VID00008-20120214-1246@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]

Question - is there any sort of air intake or something down the bottom of the engine bay, maybe fresh air for the climate control or something, that has a flap mechanism that might be closing itself shut when the car is turned off?

No... all the climate control flaps are all inside the heater casing inside the car.

The buzzzing noise in the video sounds like something vibrating. You should be able to hear and feel exactly where it's coming from.

It sounds like its coming from somewhere towards the bottom of then engine below the battery.
And it's definitely the sound of something spinning down or mechanically closing - it's not a vibration... and it happens after the engine has shut down.

We don't have idea what it is at this point so it's really impossible for us to tell right now.

The best idea would be for you to go and tell someone to turn off the engine while you are listening carefully and pointing out exactly where the sound is coming from. It is also a good idea to remove the engine and battery covers to gain more access to the part that may be vibrating down.

We can only suggest what you need to do but if you don't really do what we say we cannot suggesting anything else as our opinion in the matter has already been stated.

Try that, pin point at least the exact zone it's coming from, then give us the feedback. It can be anything, really.

Interesting. What does it look like.
I'm having the car serviced tonight, so my mechanic can hopefully identify where it's coming form when he's underneath.

ive been looking at this thread with some scepticism thinking you may have started noticing a noise that youve not heard before BUT that my friend is effin HILARIOUS!!!

sommin aint quite right but as Davren says you should be able to feel something of that magnetude vibrating. isnt the intercooler down there? just thinking maybe its pressure bleeding out of the connecting pipes!?

I did start this thread last April - it's been ongoing since then, but not always there. It's nothing vibrating, it doesn't happen when driving or the engine's on. Performance is fine, mpg is fine.
I only really resurrected the thread because in the recent cold weather, the noise lasted longer and faded out rather than just stopping - which makes it sound like something is trying to close but struggling, and possibly struggling more in the very cold weather, maybe freezing a bit.

Or maybe I should stop fuelling the car on baked beans...

I'm with SussexA - I bet it's the turbo solenoid. Yours is very loud, but my Multijet does a similar thing too. My old Marea 2.4TD also did it & it was DEFINITELY the turbo solenoid on that, but both my cars were more of a refined hum, rather than a duck on heat like yours!!:D

OK, so what does the turbo solenoid actually do? Where is it located, and how easy is it to change, assuming it's not repairable? Is it an expensive part? Or should I just ignore the noise?

Back