Technical Car won't turn off

Currently reading:
Technical Car won't turn off

ArcticStilo

So my fiat stilo 1.6 16v 2002 has developed a new issue/issues. It wont start if i dont first take the battery terminal off, then after starting it wont turn off even taking the key out or taking the battery terminals off!!
its giving me codes
u1706, u1700, P0638, u1600, p1687, p0335
All fuses from the engine bay are ok.
Literaly all help or crazy ideas would be much apreciated because i am running out of ideas.
I Currently have the enginebay fuse box on the table.

Attachments

• 20240412_041424.jpg
    20240412_041424.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
i dump the clutch while being in a high gear while holding brake.
Yep that will stop it. But release gently asit will put less strain in the clutch.
so a broken ignition barrel. Have you got any other ideas?
The whole car is ECU conmtrolled so it could be a fault there or in the wiring. I dont know anything about these things I am sorry. I always think back to the pre ecu days as basic mechanical faults are easier to identify and probably more likely. I am sure other more expert people will be along to advise on the electronics aspects

i dump the clutch while being in a high gear while holding brake.
Sorry but this is weird thing. Your engine is gasoline. You need sparks to ignite. If you disconnect battery = no sparks.
Not enough pressure in cylinders block for autoignite like diesel engine. So , I think in fact, you dont really disconnect voltage when remove the red wire from battery. The alternator still provide voltage for the machine electronics is the logical explanation. So look in this area.

Yep that will stop it. But release gently asit will put less strain in the clutch.

The whole car is ECU conmtrolled so it could be a fault there or in the wiring. I dont know anything about these things I am sorry. I always think back to the pre ecu days as basic mechanical faults are easier to identify and probably more likely. I am sure other more expert people will be along to advise on the electronics aspects
yeah but in my experience with this badboy every problem has been either an electrical or wiring problem so far, only had to replace one wheel bearing for inspection wich hasent been an electrical problem. fiats carry a massive stigma here in Finland for electrical faults. is it our horrible weather or something i dont know what.

Sorry but this is weird thing. Your engine is gasoline. You need sparks to ignite. If you disconnect battery = no sparks.
Not enough pressure in cylinders block for autoignite like diesel engine. So , I think in fact, you dont really disconnect voltage when remove the red wire from battery. The alternator still provide voltage for the machine electronics is the logical explanation. So look in this area.
Here is a video shot by my GF of her having the keys and me taking the terminals off while the car runs.

Attachments

• VID-20240414-WA0000.mp4
    2.1 MB
Here is a video shot by my GF of her having the keys and me taking the terminals off while the car runs.
Yes the thick red cables are together. As long as the alternator rotates, it provides electricity for the car.
Probably electrical contacts on key = H1 are short-circuited and even you remove the key, the ECU = M10 are supplied with voltage at pin 29. M10 drives the injectors and spark plugs coils. Relay T9 feed with voltage the injectors and coils and others components. On pictures are the voltage for normal operation. When the key is off or removed there must be no voltage on F16 pins.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_137 Apr. 13 14.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_137 Apr. 13 14.56.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yes the thick red cables are together. As long as the alternator rotates, it provides electricity for the car.
Probably electrical contacts on key = H1 are short-circuited and even you remove the key, the ECU = M10 are supplied with voltage at pin 29. M10 drives the injectors and spark plugs coils. Relay T9 feed with voltage the injectors and coils and others components. On pictures are the voltage for normal operation. When the key is off or removed there must be no voltage on F16 pins.
Thank you! Thats some intresting stuff even though the problem was resolved by fidling with the D4 connector this time.
I have always before dealt with cars that run the circuit trought the battery.

You know that alternator on the side of an engine? The thing that makes electricity to charge the battery?

Yes you can very easily disconnect the battery on a car and it will keep running, though the battery acts as a nice big capacitor to keep the output of the alternator nice and stable where as without an battery you can get more obvious fluctuations in the voltage.

Back