Technical jtd low rev power loss

Currently reading:
Technical jtd low rev power loss

stucor

hi i have a fiat stilo 1.9 jtd which has severe acceleration problems until its above 3000rpm which is when the turbo kicks in. if i am driving uphill it loses power faster than i can drop the gears :bang:. it was ok till a few weeks ago has any one got any ideas what could be wrong thanks in advance

hi i have a fiat stilo 1.9 jtd which has severe acceleration problems until its above 3000rpm which is when the turbo kicks in. if i am driving uphill it loses power faster than i can drop the gears :bang:. it was ok till a few weeks ago has any one got any ideas what could be wrong thanks in advance

This is going to sound strange, but mine did the same a while ago. Have you been through any deep puddles lately as this can affect the Stilo.

Are there any warning lights on the dashboard.

When mine got knacakred by the floods (the aa managed to start it), i was driving round for 20 miles and it just had no power, and the engine warning light was on telling me to take it to the dealer.

This is going to sound strange, but mine did the same a while ago. Have you been through any deep puddles lately as this can affect the Stilo.

When mine got knacakred by the floods (the aa managed to start it), i was driving round for 20 miles and it just had no power, and the engine warning light was on telling me to take it to the dealer.
cant recall going through any puddles and dont have any warning lights. also this problem is getting common with diesels as some silly designers have decided its a good idea:idea: to put the turbo air intake under the car :confused: still thanks for your reply

cant recall going through any puddles and dont have any warning lights. also this problem is getting common with diesels as some silly designers have decided its a good idea:idea: to put the turbo air intake under the car :confused: still thanks for your reply

Think thats what happened to mine, the intake is at the bottom of the car and i guess that it got some water in. And that water had to be burnt off, or was slowy fed out some other way. The Stilo is a completely different car to my last one, I had an 05 micra before, and that went lights deep in water and still kept plowing on with nothing going wrong :rolleyes:, the stilo hates water on the road, but sits better on the motorway when it is throwing it down :cool:

cant recall going through any puddles and dont have any warning lights. also this problem is getting common with diesels as some silly designers have decided its a good idea:idea: to put the turbo air intake under the car :confused:
Air intake is at bonnet lip height. If you've got leaks/splits in ducking to your turbo, including the vapour trap, then you should sort it quickly as it will effect MAF readings - not to mention wreaking your engine if you go through water :eek:

I had a similar problem which i found to be a "slight" Fiat design fault Ahem!.
I had powr loss, around 2500 - 3000 rpm, which i belive is about the time the turbo gets out of bed. This was coupled with a "vacuum cleaner" or loud sucking sound from near the passenger footwell.

I had a nose around and found the intercooler pipe was damaged beyond repair.
So i recommend you take a look at that. (Fiat wanted to charge over £70 for the pipe which is about a foot long with a bend in it) and that didn;t incldue the fitting. Jack your cars front passenger side up. and look underneath the passenger side head light. You should see a small black rubber hose going from your intercooler through a plastic protetive cover into the engine bay.
Check this for splits etc (Mine had been cut by the aforementioned "protective :eek: " cover. Get your hands dirty by feeling all around it for any deformities / damage. If it needs replacing you'll need the new hose, 2 good size jubilee clips and additionally i would recommend taking the protective cover off and modifying it by making the hole the pipe goes through bigger to avoid a reoccurrance. (remember to smooth the edges and cover with some piping ( Some old door rubber fits nice and provides good protection)
If the £70 + VAt for the pipe is too much (Which it is!) then take your old broken pipe to a performance mod shop and swop it for some performance stuff, but make sure your get diameters, length angles right etc etc tec.

This is for the pipe to the the intercooler by the way
An easy fix, hope this helps. :yum:

Last edited:
Useful tip (y)

...but is this the pipe TO the intercooler (i.e from the turbo which normally gets covered in oil) or the pipe FROM the intercooler (i.e to the carb/manifold)?

Useful tip (y)

...but is this the pipe TO the intercooler (i.e from the turbo which normally gets covered in oil) or the pipe FROM the intercooler (i.e to the carb/manifold)?

Good point mate, its the one TO it, its "really well positioned" through a piece of plastic that you could shave with ho hum!

I gave that pipe a really good clean recently and must admit I didn't notice anything too sharp (just covered in 4 years of oily gunge :yuck:)

I'll take a closer look next time I get it on the axle stands (y)

Re: jtd power loss

the engin is being redone and have a new turbo and everthing is fine but it have no power. what could be wrong?

As above blank EGR, takes 20 minutes and costs nothing.
Even if doesn't work then you can forget about EGR problems forever.

Back