General JTD Fuel Leak

Currently reading:
General JTD Fuel Leak

Deffinately the fuel pump. :(

I've just been told if its a bad high pressure fuel leak I should be able to hear the fuel squirting out. I live on a busy main road and her car is parked on the road out the front so listening for the high pressure leak is difficult with the traffic noise levels here, but I did manage to here it. After cranking the engine for a few seconds so the pressure built up I stopped cranking and immediately stuck my head next to the pump and listened. Sure enough I could hear the fuel squirting out somewhere under the pump. I removed the Fuel Return Tank so I could get a better look but still couldn't see anything. My guess is a seal has gone as all the connections are visible on the top of the pump.

2013-02-19-045.jpg

Which belt runs the fuel pump, Auxcillary or Timing?

Last edited:
32602.jpg

Used a torch and a small inspection mirror to take a look under the pump. It seems to be leaking from 2 torx screws at the bottom of the pump. Does the pump have to come off for me to access these Torx screws ?

Last edited:
That looks exactly like the Rover/BMW pump we did last month. Bosch CP1 type I think it was.

If it's leaking from the screws, it'll be the seals leaking that I mentioned earlier. You may be able to access the screws without removing the pump, but you'll never get the new seals in with the pump still on the car.

If it is a CP1 pump, all the parts labeled 7 in the diagram below are the seals, but there's several different versions of the kit depending on the Bosch part number of the pump.

Attachments

• CP1 Exploded.jpg
    CP1 Exploded.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I'm sure the number on the pump was 0 445 0101 007, its too dark to double check but I'll look again in the morning.

That number is on the list of the ebay item in the link you provided so hopefully I can take the pump off, fit new seals and refit the pump.

I guess a new cambelt and water pump would be a good idea while I'm at it.

You have to take the timing belt off anyway, so a good opportunity to replace it, unless it's been done recently.

When you get the kit, check that it's got the same number of seals as in the diagram. Ours had 2 extra of the of one of the "O" rings. We spent about an hour trying to see where they went before we realised they'd put too many in the pack.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I've passed my daughters car onto a friend who is going to replace the pump seals, change the cambelt and water pump. She's driving her mothers car until its fixed. I'll be purchasing the parts myself and passing them on to him so I'll take a few photo's of the process while I'm there.

I've passed my daughters car onto a friend who is going to replace the pump seals, change the cambelt and water pump. She's driving her mothers car until its fixed. I'll be purchasing the parts myself and passing them on to him so I'll take a few photo's of the process while I'm there.

Good on you for working out what was needed and finding someone to do it. At least you now know that a BMW, Audi, or Rover could have had the same leak :p

Bogged down in other work here, I'm wondering when my Stilo's clutch will ever get changed, but at least I can still drive in the meantime.

-Alex

You giving up? or getting old Shadey? thought you would have enjoyed delving into a diesel pump. ;)
Good on you for working out what was needed and finding someone to do it.

To be honest I'm fed up of the bl**dy thing. Passing it on to a friend will cost me less, if I do it I'll end up paying for it. :eek:

Last edited:
God knows how but I've just ended up paying for a high pressure fuel pump seal kit, a cambelt kit and a water pump all genuine Fiat parts.

Surely I'm not the only father who is easily wrapped around their daugthers little finger? :eek:

Lol!
Daughter could be driving a simple little Fiesta or something else she could pay to have repaired...? ;)

Harsh I know! Sorry :eek:
I don't have children...

At least you know she'll be driving around in a safe and solid, well-maintained car.

-Alex

Last edited:
God knows how but I've just ended up paying for a high pressure fuel pump seal kit, a cambelt kit and a water pump all genuine Fiat parts.

Surely I'm not the only father who is easily wrapped around their daugthers little finger? :eek:

This is great post and very interesting Stu.

We are always wrapped around there little finger!

Back