General Is this Panda economic to repair?

Currently reading:
General Is this Panda economic to repair?

Cooler King

Would welcome general views on whether to repair my Panda then sell, or is it uneconomic? 2009 1.1 eco monster now with 123,000 miles on the clock. Was a cat D right off when bought 5 years ago with 27,000 miles gone. Used as a daily driver that did 60 - 80 miles on average a day and only once let me down when a spring broke. Current problems are: weeping sump, ticking noise when clutch pressed, faulty valve in fuel vapour system (engine light on), some rust on body work and front coolant pipe (under manifold) needs changing. I now work from home so no longer need the daily driver, cost me £1,500 so owes me nothing. I am thinking the cost of repairs will likely exceed the value but don't want to scrap him, have got a bit attached over the years. Would welcome some experienced views, is there life left in him?

Cheers

Calum

do the work yourself or pay a garage. Makes a big difference.

1.1 eco so cheap insurance and road tax. These cars command a premium and are scarce at the moment.

cars are always female. Dont know why ?

Thanks for the replies, looks like it will be repaired then sold. The rust is not too bad and mainly in the wing so no issue for MOT. Will be able to do the repairs at home, never done a clutch before but I do like a challenge, as long as I can find the time.

I did look up the prices of high mileage Pandas and was surprised how much they were.

Will share some pictures of the work.

Cheers

Oh, and Percy is a bloke, always has been and always will be :)

As the rust doesn't sound too bad there's certainly life left in him, there are plenty of cars on the High Mileage thread pushing 1/4 million miles:)

If you were planning to keep him, the rear axle is the main other rust hotspot that would warrant attention.

Will be able to do the repairs at home, never done a clutch before but I do like a challenge, as long as I can find the time.

I found this video really helpful when doing my clutch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-m8tjmuNM

Does the clutch operate OK, not heavy pedal? Or is it just making a noise when depressed?

Before changing the clutch, stick a finger inside this inspection hole on the bell housing:

panda clutch 01.jpg
If it comes out oily, the input shaft bearing has probably given up, which could be causing the noise, rather than the clutch itself. It seems quite a common issue on these gearboxes.

Last edited:
Thanks, the pedal feels fine and the car drives OK. The inspection hole was dry so fingers crossed just a new clutch etc needed.

I changed the clutch and crank seal on my MJ last year.

Never changed a clutch before, or even taken a gearbox off.

Took me around 6 hours on the driveway following a Haynes manual. Now I know what I'm doing, could do it in half that.

So my point being, it really isn't a big job....if I can do it I'm sure most other DIY mechanics would have no problems.

Would welcome general views on whether to repair my Panda then sell, or is it uneconomic?

Calum

I have always regretted selling a car because it needed some work from a smoking engine to brakes. I often felt after selling that it was cheaper to stick with the devil you know.

What will a replacement cost on a £s per month basis? Ignoring that it will have it's own issues, fixing the old car cant be more than a couple or three months of replacement payment fees.

Sump £35 parts £100 labour
Coolant pipe - £35 pmts £100 labour
Clutch noise could be the release bearing so £300 if a garage does it.

Bodywork is another issue rust can be terminal.

Last edited:
Back