Is this him?

Currently reading:
Is this him?

haha his head is on upside down.

these stories annoy me

he gets annoyed that a few people at work laughed at his beard so what do you do?

thats right go to the press(y) brilliant play.

would annoy of this be happening if he wasnt a muslim though?
You could always shave it off, or trim it, but then that's not the point really is it?

Of course it could all be true and he could well have been a right 'unt to work with.

He has a look about him which suggests he'd stitch you up... or generally be a non-team player, that's a trait which goes beyond race or religion.

That beard does look kind of, erm, weird!

Having long been a believer that racism/ discrimination works both ways, this comment from the officer concerned interests me:

"Mr Iqbal, who was born and raised in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, told the Daily Mail: 'My beard is an important part of my identity which helps other Muslims relate to me."

My question is this. How about he tries to help non Muslims relate to him as well, perhaps by moderating his beard so that it doesn't look so out of place in British society? And being born and bred in Stevenage, UK, how about identifying more with his British roots?

Just food for thought...

:ROFLMAO: Daz. Are you selling the cubes on ebay?
His beard is joke shop standard.
new_hand_made_beard_29.JPG

Having long been a believer that racism/ discrimination works both ways, this comment from the officer concerned interests me:

"Mr Iqbal, who was born and raised in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, told the Daily Mail: 'My beard is an important part of my identity which helps other Muslims relate to me."

My question is this. How about he tries to help non Muslims relate to him as well, perhaps by moderating his beard so that it doesn't look so out of place in British society? And being born and bred in Stevenage, UK, how about identifying more with his British roots?

Just food for thought...
Does he suggest that Muslims will only recognise him as a muslim police officer if he wears that beard?
Do you think he might just have made himself look ridiculous so that he didn't have to wait too long before he had had enough jibes to go running to a solicitor? This has got scam written all over it.

The beard is joke shop standard.
I know now how the poor man feels. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable. I think I'm going to have a sleepless night, at least if I can manage to wake up Mrs. Beard and rouse her into action. Perhaps if I promise to do the washing up and iron my own shirts for a week.....

If I can find a Solicitor to take my case on I'm sure our next few years holidays paid for.

On a serious note, this sort of thing is a nightmare. Whether in the armed forces, the Police or Fire Service ribbing, jibeing, call it what you will goes with the territory. Short people are called Lofty, tall people Shorty, the fat become Slim and the skinny ones are known as Porky. Contradictorily (sp?) one of my colleagues is decidedly chunky and is known as Gastric. Another as Monkey because of his high hair line and pronounced jawline. One still suffers back and hip pain every now and then beause of a road accident (knocked off his bicycle) and is known because of his walk as the Caliper Kid, and so on.

It is the stuff of legend within GMP that 2 officers were in the canteen one day a few years ago when a white cop bought 2 bananas and threw one of them to his black colleague. A racist incident was reported and both officers were interviewed in connection with it while one was suspended. Eventually it came to light that both had gone to the same Primary school, the same Secondary school, joined the same Regiment in the Army together and joined the Police together. One had even married the other's sister. The person who made the complaint was not the perceived aggrieved party or even someone who knew either of them, but simply a bloke (or woman) who was having lunch. The complaint was withdrawn.

A GMP Officer was on a course at the Met Training Centre in Hendon when he was in the canteen (there appears to be a pattern here) and asked for something they'd run out of. The (black) canteen worker said that he'd put whatever it was back on the griddle especially for him. The visiting Bobby who was from Wigan said "Thanks, you're a good egg." An inoffensive comment you may think and in fact "Good Egg." is, I believe a common term in Wigan. In London it seems "Egg" is short for "Egg and Spoon", which perhaps if you think in terms of Cockney Rhyming Slang doesn't need translating. Yet another racist incident recorded, and yet again not by the perceived victim but a third party.

In the midst of this are people who see racism everywhere, people who are real victims of racism and those who are prepared to take advantage of laws and rules set up to protect the vulnerable. The difficulty is knowing who is who.

There are also those who are unable to survive in the world of Police, Army or whatever. It's often those who take the option of being the victim of racism, sexism or any other form of discrimination be it concerning religion or sexuality. You are part of a team and if this sounds like the start of a film about the US Marines then to a lesser degree it's supposed to. There is a lot of macho bulls**t in the Cops but what that teamwork means is you back up your mates and they back you up. If they don't think someone will be reliable when push comes to shove then they are tested in other ways. If he was right about the Hilal food incident then if he had taken it better, laughed it off
then maybe he might have gained a little respct and eventually would have felt part of the team. I've never come across a Relief of Police Officers that can resist a good kebab or curry. They would have gladly joined a Hillal meal with or without this man.

Oh, and by the way, you don't have to have a comedy Beard to be a good Muslim.

Last edited:
I know now how the poor man feels. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable. I think I'm going to have a sleepless night, at least if I can manage to wake up Mrs. Beard and rouse her into action. Perhaps if I promise to do the washing up and iron my own shirts for a week.....

If I can find a Solicitor to take my case on I'm sure our next few years holidays paid for.

On a serious note, this sort of thing is a nightmare. Whether in the armed forces, the Police or Fire Service ribbing, jibeing, call it what you will goes with the territory. Short people are called Lofty, tall people Shorty, the fat become Slim and the skinny ones are known as Porky. Contradictorily (sp?) one of my colleagues is decidedly chunky and is known as Gastric. Another as Monkey because of his high hair line and pronounced jawline. One still suffers back and hip pain every now and then beause of a road accident (knocked off his bicycle) and is known because of his walk as the Caliper Kid, and so on.

It is the stuff of legend within GMP that 2 officers were in the canteen one day a few years ago when a white cop bought 2 bananas and threw one of them to his black colleague. A racist incident was reported and both officers were interviewed in connection with it while one was suspended. Eventually it came to light that both had gone to the same Primary school, the same Secondary school, joined the same Regiment in the Army together and joined the Police together. One had even married the other's sister. The person who made the complaint was not the perceived aggrieved party or even someone who knew either of them, but simply a bloke (or woman) who was having lunch. The complaint was withdrawn.

A GMP Officer was on a course at the Met Training Centre in Hendon when he was in the canteen (there appears to be a pattern here) and asked for something they'd run out of. The (black) canteen worker said that he'd put whatever it was back on the griddle especially for him. The visiting Bobby who was from Wigan said "Thanks, you're a good egg." An inoffensive comment you may think and in fact "Good Egg." is, I believe a common term in Wigan. In London it seems "Egg" is short for "Egg and Spoon", which perhaps if you think in terms of Cockney Rhyming Slang doesn't need translating. Yet another racist incident recorded, and yet again not by the perceived victim but a third party.

In the midst of this are people who see racism everywhere, people who are real victims of racism and those who are prepared to take advantage of laws and rules set up to protect the vulnerable. The difficulty is knowing who is who.

There are also those who are unable to survive in the world of Police, Army or whatever. It's often those who take the option of being the victim of racism, sexism or any other form of discrimination be it concerning religion or sexuality. You are part of a team and if this sounds like the start of a film about the US Marines then to a lesser degree it's supposed to. There is a lot of macho bulls**t in the Cops but what that teamwork means is you back up your mates and they back you up. If they don't think someone will be reliable when push comes to shove then they are tested in other ways. If he was right about the Hilal food incident then if he had taken it better, laughed it off
then maybe he might have gained a little respct and eventually would have felt part of the team. I've never come across a Relief of Police Officers that can resist a good kebab or curry. They would have gladly joined a Hillal meal with or without this man.

Oh, and by the way, you don't have to have a comedy Beard to be a good Muslim.
I knew we could rely on you Beard. The voice of reason. Ever thought of writing a column ? !

Back