Is this a reasonable sentence?

Currently reading:
Is this a reasonable sentence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23004956

I can't make up my mind if this sentence is about right, or too harsh.

Bearing in mind you seem violent criminals and drug dealers getting shorter sentences.
The girl wasn't exactly dragged kicking and screaming off to France and was almost "legal" anyway.
On the other hand, if it had been a teacher running off with my daughter when she was 15 I wonder if I would think the sentence was too short.
What do you think?

I think so.
People of differing ages can be in love, but he had a serious failure in judgement to have ever even letting it get past an infatuation stage.
It reads to me that he welcomed her affections and made the moves towards getting into bed.
She may have consented, and wanted to run away with him, but She's considered a minor and therefore not able to make that decision. He should have made it for her and and said NO.

He'll be out in 2 years or so. I think it's fair.

With regards to drug dealers , violent gangs etc, I say give judge dread a call.

This is one of those crazy borderline situations, but I think he should of got a harsher sentence. The reason for this, as already mentioned is because he was a teacher. And even if he wasn't he could have kept the trouser sanke at bay for 12 months (probably less) until it was legal. But as with the 16 YO thread I'd still think that would be wrong, but at least it wouldn't have made him a peodophile. Teachers are in serious positions of trust with the teenage school kids, if they have any attraction towards their pupils they should quit and make a change of career immediately.

To put it into perspective imagine that girl being your daughter, then sentence him yourself...

Last edited:
This is one of those crazy borderline situations, but I think he should of got a harsher sentence. The reason for this, as already mentioned is because he was a teacher. And even if he wasn't he could have kept the trouser sanke at bay for 12 months (probably less) until it was legal. But as with the 16 YO thread I'd still think that would be wrong, but at least it wouldn't have made him a peodophile. Teachers are in serious positions of trust with the teenage school kids, if they have any attraction towards their pupils they should quit and make a change of career immediately.

To put it into perspective imagine that girl being your daughter, then sentence him yourself...
Yes, I mentioned that myself in my post. But if ity was my daughter I would also question what part she (and us as parents) had played in it as well.

In my opinion she's just as much to 'blame' as he is. Fair enough he should have pushed her away and not done what he did, but neither should she. She obviously knew the consequences, otherwise she wouldn't have kept it secret, run away etc.

Probably all going to disagree because she's 15 and didn't know better but I think that's a load of bull

In my opinion she's just as much to 'blame' as he is. Fair enough he should have pushed her away and not done what he did, but neither should she. She obviously knew the consequences, otherwise she wouldn't have kept it secret, run away etc.

Probably all going to disagree because she's 15 and didn't know better but I think that's a load of bull

While she may be as guilty of what happened she is not to blame, as the adult should have been mature enough to 'walk' away from the situation. Teachers, youth leaders etc. are put in a position of great trust and need to be always mindful that young people will 'attach' themselves to them. They are like a fun mum or dad so no encouragement should be given to the young person. Its one thing having a young girl idolise you its quite another taking that girl to bed because you can. That teacher crossed the line and should pay the price.

Actually meant to reply, not "like", but hit wrong button.
Interestingly women I have spoken to seem more inclined to lay some blame on the girl as well, whilst the majority of course is on the teacher.

Actually meant to reply, not "like", but hit wrong button.
Interestingly women I have spoken to seem more inclined to lay some blame on the girl as well, whilst the majority of course is on the teacher.

you can remove likes or dislikes now

he knew she was under age and even if she wasn't there are laws to protect girls like this even if they are over 16( i think?), so cant see how they can put any blame on some one the law is there to protect, would they think its their fault if they got rapped for wearing a short skirt, or had their car stolen because they left it unattended :shrug:

Last edited:
While she may be as guilty of what happened she is not to blame, as the adult should have been mature enough to 'walk' away from the situation. Teachers, youth leaders etc. are put in a position of great trust and need to be always mindful that young people will 'attach' themselves to them. They are like a fun mum or dad so no encouragement should be given to the young person. Its one thing having a young girl idolise you its quite another taking that girl to bed because you can. That teacher crossed the line and should pay the price.

Guilty was the word I was after! Not blame, I had mind block

It's six of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other on this one, however if it was my daughter i'd be looking to give him a slap. Or two.

I think the sentence is a bit harsh for this one, yes he abused his position of trust as a teacher, so I think that he shouldn’t be allowed to work in teaching or anything to do with children under 16. The girl's parents should really look deep into the way they've brought their daughter up.

I think given the latest craze of the media jumping on any celebrity that's been accused (not proven) of anything to do with underage sex he was doomed from day one. I don't see how he can be charged with abduction when she willingly went with him - the underage sex charge well that's par for the course, but again was consensual.....

They both did something extremely stupid and there needs to be repercussions but as a tax payer I really don't think he should be in prison costing xxxx of thousands. He will fail any extended CRB check purely for the underage sex so in theory should never get another job working with children, sticking him inside is just going to cost the state a lot of money.

That said I really dont know what a suitable sentence would be, 400 hours of community service? I really dont know :confused:

I think that this teacher was very silly, he was flattered by the attention and allowed it all to go too far. He should have known better and now his career is in ruins.
I also think the girl's upbringing was far from ideal which perhaps helped to drive her away from her mum and towards this teacher.
I also think the timing of this, (post-Savile etc) meant he was always going to get a heavy sentence. But he got 5 and a half years, and 2 of the Pakistani / Somalian gang sentenced yesterday got 7 years. Does that seem right?

I find the fact that they're protecting her identity laughable. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted much?!

Her name, face, description - even her hobbies were plastered all over the news!!

Back